Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Violation of Human Rights? - Not being able to leave the Catholic Church

Options
  • 11-01-2012 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭

Like a lot of people in our little country, I was baptised as a child. And for the communion and confirmation - I only did this for the money.

Looking back on it, they are the three biggest mistakes of my life. I no longer want to be a part of this disgusting organisation, and as such I want to leave.

Countmeout.ie, a website dedicated to helping people leave the church, was a great thing for people like me. But no, I am unable to leave because the church changed the 'Canon Law' which governs this stuff (because people were leaving in their droves), and this led to the countmeout website becoming defunct, in a sense. So technically, in their eyes, I am a catholic forever.

Freedom of Religion is a a fundamental human right. But how am I supposed to exercise this right if I am being forced to remain a member of the catholic church against my will? What right do the church have to do this to me and countless others?

Would I have a case in the EU Court? - i.e. the catholic church forcing me to remain a member of their sect and therefore infringing on my human right of freedom of religion? If so, how would I go about it?

I know I probably won't get the serious answers here in AH, but I think there will be some people out there in the same position as me, and I'd like to hear from them suggestions etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Why care what they think if you reject their authority in the first place?

I don't need out, they can't make me do anything nor do they have any control over my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Looking back on it, they are the three biggest mistakes of my life.

A. Probably your families choice rather than yours, i dont think you actually choose to be baptised.
    B. If they are your biggest mistakes in life, you have very little problems.
    So technically, in their eyes, I am a catholic forever.

In their eyes only, you can be whatever faith/non faith you want to be. Who cares if they still consider you a catholic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Sindri wrote: »

So if, for example, you were listed as a member of the Nazi Party, you wouldn't care because you reject their authority anyway, and don't follow their beliefs?

Bull****. People should have the freedom to leave any crazy cults including the Catholic Church

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Why worry about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

The word for an organisation which prevents you from leaving of your own free will is "cult"

The catholic church may have once just been a despicable organisation, but once it changed that rule it became a cult.

That said, I don't know anyone who takes canon law seriously - it's a farce for years what with arbitrary changes to purgatory and intercessions.

Think of it as a psycho ex who still goes around saying that you're their boyfriend/girlfriend......they can lie all they want because they're only fooling themselves and making themselves look like the idiots that they are.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I also would like to leave the Catholic church and like many others openly went along with the whole communion and confirmation malarky for to get the money invariably given to you by stupid relatives.

The Catholic Church should be burnt out of society and everyone of their priests and bishops with them. The sad thing about the British occupation of Ireland was they never defeated the Church and I say this as a staunch Irish Republican. However the Catholic church has done harm to Irish society than any Protestant religious organisation ever did.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

My parents are war criminals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

So if, for example, you were listed as a member of the Nazi Party, you wouldn't care because you reject their authority anyway, and don't follow their beliefs?

Bull****. People should have the freedom to leave any crazy cults including the Catholic Church

So if for example you plain didn't give a **** what number of ****s would you give?

0+****s=?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Who gives a sweaty hairy sh1t?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

Domo230 wrote: »
    I am technically listed as a member of the catholic church.

I would also like out.

Have a look at countmeout.ie
    As I mentioned, it is impossible to leave because they changed their little skyfairy laws.
    Sindri wrote: »

I don't need out, they can't make me do anything nor do they have any control over my life.

I see the point you are trying to make, but why should they have me listed as a catholic if I no longer wish to be a part of their cult?
    Senna wrote: »
    In their eyes only, you can be whatever faith/non faith you want to be. Who cares if they still consider you a catholic.

If I wanted to become, for example, a Muslim, do you think this would be possible if I'm still, forever, officially part of the catholic church? No, it wouldn't be possible.

It's disgusting that I am being forced to be part of a sect.

+1
    galwayrush wrote: »
    Why worry about it?

Why take the relaxed approach?

And keep in mind there is a financial impact to this. In Germany, there is a church tax. If you are, for example, catholic, you have to pay 9% of your income tax. Why should these bastards get this money?

I won't be leaving it at this - tomorrow I'll be going to the local church in my area to speak with the priest there. He better give me a satisfactory solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Genuine question...

If you do not participate in any of their traditions, events, go to mass, etc. etc. why don't you consider that enough?

Do you want it in writing from them that you are out?

Edit...i see you have answered above in response to someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Fúcking hell don't practice and stop moaning. Problem solved really.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭noxqs

Break into church, put this on the speaker system just as the sermon starts:

Excommunication, win?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

I got 99 problems but the Church ain't one.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

SeaFields wrote: »
    Genuine question...

If you do not participate in any of their traditions, events, go to mass, etc. etc. why don't you consider that enough?

well put it this way, if you were a member of say, a sports club, that was responsible for as much suffering, hate, paedophilia, misogyny, sexism, corruption and nasty sh1t as the RCC is, would you want to be crossed off their membership list? or happy out they still continue to count you as a card carrying member and wont let you leave?

its simple, people should be allowed leave, but the church, pack of sneaky cunts that they are, changed their made up rules to stop people doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Excommunication is still available isn't it?

Defile the eucharist in some way and mail a video of it to your local priest/bishop/witch doctor.

Genuine question...

Do they get grants or funding based on the number of "members" ? If so, I'd want it officially acknowledged.

In fact, I would suspect that this is the only reason why they would try to cement you in.

Hopefully the grants would be based on the census and not the fictional membership lists.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

noxqs wrote: »
    Break into church, put this on the speaker system just as the sermon starts:

Excommunication, win?

I love that band so much.

I won't be leaving it at this - tomorrow I'll be going to the local church in my area to speak with the priest there. He better give me a satisfactory solution.

Freewill, you do have it...;)

You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice.
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
    You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill;
    I will choose a path that's clear
    I will choose freewill.

Genuine question...

Yes I want out. I don't want to be on their books. They have done nothing for me, and have caused nothing but disgusting hardship to this country, so why should I prop up their membership numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭afrodub

I really see this a non-issue you don`t go to Mass or attend Church fullstop, so you simply disassociate/ divorce yourself from the RC faith, and that`s the end surely isn`t it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Why should these bastards get this money?

Why should any bastard get your money? It's a political issue more than a faith-based one.

Presumably, you didn't identify yourself as a Catholic in the census, and I'm sure that you don't financially support the church in any way?

Those are the only things that matter, ultimately.

All that officially leaving the church affirms is that you took it (your name being on some meaningless dusty old book in Rome) seriously enough in the first place, and that gives them even more imaginary clout.

Superbus wrote: »
    I got 99 problems but the Church ain't one.

Em..100 problems really, considering the problem of the church is the reason I opened this thread.

But then again, "I got 100 problems..." doesn't have the same ring:rolleyes::pac:

o1s1n wrote: »
    Excommunication is still available isn't it?

Defile the eucharist in some way and mail a video of it to your local priest/bishop/witch doctor.

Does it have to be the eucharist ? That 10ft x 8ft photo with Bishop Brennan taking it up the arse (interesting role reversal*) won't suffice ?

*Actually, in all seriousness for a second, given the violations of human rights that they condoned and facilitated I reckon having me on a fictional membership list isn't exactly at the top of their violations of human rights, do you ?

Yes I want out. I don't want to be on their books. They have done nothing for me, and have caused nothing but disgusting hardship to this country, so why should I prop up their membership numbers.

We all prop up the Mormon membership list as well.( They believe that every name/ person they find/ register is a soul saved, or something like that)
    Perhaps you should talk to them as well....

afrodub wrote: »
    I really see this a non-issue you don`t go to Mass or attend Church fullstop, so you simply disassociate/ divorce yourself from the RC faith, and that`s the end surely isn`t it.

You don't seem to understand.

Let me put it this way - if you were a member of a club that has engaged in wide-spread paedophilia and abuse and that club would not let you leave, would you not be pissed off?

In my opinion, by staying a member of this church, it appears that I, and other people who are members, support paedophilia and abuse. It's as simple as that. This has to stop - I want out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,934 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Like a lot of people in our little country, I was baptised as a child. And for the communion and confirmation - I only did this for the money.

Looking back on it, they are the three biggest mistakes of my life. I no longer want to be a part of this disgusting organisation, and as such I want to leave.

Countmeout.ie, a website dedicated to helping people leave the church, was a great thing for people like me. But no, I am unable to leave because the church changed the 'Canon Law' which governs this stuff (because people were leaving in their droves), and this led to the countmeout website becoming defunct, in a sense. So technically, in their eyes, I am a catholic forever.

Freedom of Religion is a a fundamental human right. But how am I supposed to exercise this right if I am being forced to remain a member of the catholic church against my will? What right do the church have to do this to me and countless others?

Would I have a case in the EU Court? - i.e. the catholic church forcing me to remain a member of their sect and therefore infringing on my human right of freedom of religion? If so, how would I go about it?

I know I probably won't get the serious answers here in AH, but I think there will be some people out there in the same position as me, and I'd like to hear from them suggestions etc.

Just count your blessings you weren't born a Muslim. They would give you real trouble if you tried to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Sorry if this is a stupid suggestion, but could you not convert to a religion that allows you to leave? problem solved?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I really don't get this. I was baptised and would have tried to get out before they changed the rule. However I don't care what they think so I don't care if I am a member or not. This is not a club, there is no membership card if you know it's a load of nonsence then who cares?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Sorry if this is a stupid suggestion, but could you not convert to a religion that allows you to leave? problem solved?

you shouldnt have to do anything other than say you want out, you could, then they realised that people will start leaving in droves and they changed the rules so you cant anymore, so fcuk them, why should they be allowed to change it? oh, because they're a pack of cnuts, thats why.

Advertisement