Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Violation of Human Rights? - Not being able to leave the Catholic Church

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

galwayrush wrote: »
    Freewill, you do have it...;)

You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice.
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
    You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill;
    I will choose a path that's clear
    I will choose freewill.

Love that band too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

Sorry if this is a stupid suggestion, but could you not convert to a religion that allows you to leave? problem solved?

I don't want to be a part of any fairytale 'religion' - I want to get away from them all.

But even if I wanted to do what you suggested, it would be impossible seeing as the catholic cunts won't let me leave.

Anyway, can anyone offer any input into the actual question I've asked - is this a violation of the human right of freedom of religion?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Sorry if this is a stupid suggestion, but could you not convert to a religion that allows you to leave? problem solved?
    It's a little more than that. The Holy See is an official observer of the United Nations which upholds the Declaration of Human Rights, which says,
    • Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion; this right includes freedom to change his religion or belief, and freedom, either alone or in community with others and in public or private, to manifest his religion or belief in teaching, practice, worship and observance.

Which if you ask me means if the Holy See wishes to maintain it's stature in the world, it should stop violating Article 18.

The Catholic Church is also violating Article 20:

(1) Everyone has the right to freedom of peaceful assembly and association.
    (2) No one may be compelled to belong to an association.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Go to your priest tell him your a pariah and you can get ex-communicated for it if you say your spreading decent.

Overheal wrote: »
    It's a little more than that. The Holy See is an official observer of the United Nations which upholds the Declaration of Human Rights, which says,
    • Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion; this right includes freedom to change his religion or belief, and freedom, either alone or in community with others and in public or private, to manifest his religion or belief in teaching, practice, worship and observance.

Which if you ask me means if the Holy See wishes to maintain it's stature in the world, it should stop violating Article 18.

Thanks for this.

So, I think this does indeed show that they are violating my right of freedom of religion. Any suggestion on what I should do about this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I don't want to be a part of any fairytale 'religion' - I want to get away from them all.

But even if I wanted to do what you suggested, it would be impossible seeing as the catholic cunts won't let me leave.

Anyway, can anyone offer any input into the actual question I've asked - is this a violation of the human right of freedom of religion?

You could take them to court, that would be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

If people start doing it then good, I might look into this myself, how exactly does one take a court case against an organisation?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭afrodub

You don't seem to understand.

Let me put it this way - if you were a member of a club that has engaged in wide-spread paedophilia and abuse and that club would not let you leave, would you not be pissed off?

In my opinion, by staying a member of this church, it appears that I, and other people who are members, support paedophilia and abuse. It's as simple as that. This has to stop - I want out.

Well I can symphathise that you clearly are someone of principle, outraged by well documented abuse by elements within that Church/ Religion.In practice though you are certainly not practising and therefore no longer a functioning member merely an anonymous irrelevant statistic,still noted albeit in some file alone as a RC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

krudler wrote: »
    you shouldnt have to do anything other than say you want out, you could, then they realised that people will start leaving in droves and they changed the rules so you cant anymore, so fcuk them, why should they be allowed to change it? oh, because they're a pack of cnuts, thats why.

lol I get that, but since the rules are changed and he really wants out, is this not a possibility? I believe in by any means necesary, If I felt how the OP does and this is a possible solution, id go for it....by the way im not even sure this is a viable option!

I get that you dont wish to subscribe to the idea of organised religion or any religion in general, but if this was a way out why not go for it?

Regarding your question, the RCC violates childrens rights every day, they get away with it, i highly doubt they are going to give a fu*k if you feel your rights are violated.
    Overheal wrote: »

The Catholic Church is also violating Article 20:

(1) Everyone has the right to freedom of peaceful assembly and association.
    (2) No one may be compelled to belong to an association.

Cheers I didnt know any of this really, learn something new everyday!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

But they havent stopped you from changing your religion have they? They've just kept you on their own list which isn't worth anything, surely the census is all that matters?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

But they havent stopped you from changing your religion have they? They've just kept you on their own list which isn't worth anything, surely the census is all that matters?

The census is what counts-nothing else. The RCC can insist they still have x numbers of members according to their records but for official government pruposes it is census returns that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,982 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I changed my religion for the census. The woman collecting it had a good laugh.

The religion I put down has more relevance to me than something I was forced into as a child, don't forget that legally children can't enter into a contract.

May the Force be with you

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

It sickens me that I cant leave. I am also sick of people saying "sure it doesnt matter just consider yourself out" It doesnt work like that. I want my name removed from their registry. I dont want my name to be on any of their lists. Not many things make me angry, Im a very placid person but this ****ing sickens me. I didn't choose to join this church but I choose to leave, yet I cant.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

It's no different to Facebook or even our very own boards.ie

You can never delete your account and completely disassociate yourself. All you can do is ask the administration to close or deactivate your account and just distance yourself from the organisation in question. If it was revealed that Facebook revenue was being used to prop up terrorist groups or something of that nature and you wanted to completely disassociate yourself from Facebook you simply wouldn't be able to.

In any case, if someone really wanted to leave the Catholic church I think conversion to another religion denomination/religion is sufficient to no longer be considered a member.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Cheers I didnt know any of this really, learn something new everyday!
    lol no problemo. Educate thyself, read the Declaration of Human Rights. It's easy enough to digest.

http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭afrodub

May the Force be with you[/QUOTE]

and also with you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

One big issue with the Catholic Church is that they still run the majority of schools in Ireland, despite being funded by the state. One of the arguments they use for maintaining this state of play is that the overwhelming majority of Irish citizens are Catholic. Under the Equal Status Act, they have the right to refuse enrolment of children who are not baptised, which kind of makes a mockery of the tern "equal status" in my book.

Now, the major problem with this is that while in some areas, you may have a choice as to where you send your kids to school, a lot of people don't. They aren't forced to baptise their children, but in many cases they do so just to ensure they are guaranteed a place in the local school.

By essentially forcing many parents to send their children to Catholic Schools, they are forced to allow the Church to teach them their doctrine.

It is a way for them to attempt to perpetuate their authority in the country furthered again by the change in canon law.

krudler wrote: »
    If people start doing it then good, I might look into this myself, how exactly does one take a court case against an organisation?
    It sickens me that I cant leave. I am also sick of people saying "sure it doesnt matter just consider yourself out" It doesnt work like that. I want my name removed from their registry. I dont want my name to be on any of their lists. Not many things make me angry, Im a very placid person but this ****ing sickens me. I didn't choose to join this church but I choose to leave, yet I cant.

Lads this is something I'm very passionate about, and as such I propose the following and ask would you join me?

Let's draft a letter, all three of us together, outlining our disgust with the church and our dismay that we cannot leave, and of course the fact that the church is violating our Human Rights, specifically Articles 18 and 20.

We would draft the letter and sign it, and then post it to the European Court of Human Rights.

For anyone else reading this post, if you want out aswell and would be willing to attempt to fight the church in the EU Court, let me know here.

I've already fired off an email to the UN asking why they're allowing the Vatican to violate Articles 18 and 20 (I know an email isn't the best option, but it's okay for now).

It's no different to Facebook or even our very own boards.ie

You can never delete your account and completely disassociate yourself. All you can do is ask the administration to close or deactivate your account and just distance yourself from the organisation in question. If it was revealed that Facebook revenue was being used to prop up terrorist groups or something of that nature and you wanted to completely disassociate yourself from Facebook you simply wouldn't be able to.

In any case, if someone really wanted to leave the Catholic church I think conversion to another religion denomination/religion is sufficient to no longer be considered a member.

As of recently, you can delete your Boards account.

And the last time I checked, Facebook and Boards weren't engaged in mass paedophilia which was covered up by those at the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭XenaLady

I is this a violation of the human right of freedom of religion?

Yes it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

And the last time I checked, Facebook and Boards weren't engaged in mass paedophilia which was covered up by those at the top.

One of the mods touched my mickey & when I reported it in Feedback, the thread was deleted.

One of the mods touched my mickey & when I reported it in Feedback, the thread was deleted.

Well you shouldn't have been flashing him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Is there no way to get yourself excommunicated if you cannot leave voluntarily?

Write a letter and denounce some specific article or reference and the local bishop will kick you out?

I'm not saying cause hassle or trouble, this is more writing a letter and the bishop then activates a procedure for excommunication

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

I'd love if this became a big thing, just because in the papers it'd have to be reported as a movement started by 'boards.ie user UglyBolloxFace'.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

Lads this is something I'm very passionate about, and as such I propose the following and ask would you join me?

Let's draft a letter, all three of us together, outlining our disgust with the church and our dismay that we cannot leave, and of course the fact that the church is violating our Human Rights, specifically Articles 18 and 20.

We would draft the letter and sign it, and then post it to the European Court of Human Rights.

For anyone else reading this post, if you want out aswell and would be willing to attempt to fight the church in the EU Court, let me know here.

I've already fired off an email to the UN asking why they're allowing the Vatican to violate Articles 18 and 20 (I know an email isn't the best option, but it's okay for now).

I am with you completely.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Is there no way to get yourself excommunicated if you cannot leave voluntarily?

Write a letter and denounce some specific article or reference and the local bishop will kick you out?

I'm not saying cause hassle or trouble, this is more writing a letter and the bishop then activates a procedure for excommunication

We shouldn't have to be excommunicated - we should be able to leave voluntarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

As of recently, you can delete your Boards account.

That really isn't the point. The point is that if certain high-ranking members of say Facebook were involved in something that you did not want to be associated with, you would not be able to completely disassociate yourself from their organisation. If you want to complain about organisations not allowing you to completely disassociate yourself from them you may as well do it properly and go for a universal challenge while you're at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

We shouldn't have to be excommunicated - we should be able to leave voluntarily.

Yes I agree and I've read this thread and a few others like it

But I was just asking about procedures and the OP listed some website so probably knows a lot about the subject

• Registered Users Posts: 13,871 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

OP,

You should organise pickets outside their churches on Sundays to highlight how evil an organisation this is.

Think about it.

If you were put into this cult by your parents and repeatedly raped by a priest while other members of the church covered up your suffering, this vile organisation still won't let you leave.

The RCC are pure scum.

• Advertisement

I am with you completely.

Good to hear. Let's do this.

Give me a day or two to draft a letter, and I can pass it onto you.

It'll be getting sent to here:

European Court of Human Rights
    Council of Europe
    67075 Strasbourg Cedex
    France

Advertisement