Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Violation of Human Rights? - Not being able to leave the Catholic Church

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

I am with you completely.

Good to hear. Let's do this.

Give me a day or two to draft a letter, and I can pass it onto you.

It'll be getting sent to here:

European Court of Human Rights
    Council of Europe
    67075 Strasbourg Cedex
    France

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Shattered Dreamer

In my opinion, by staying a member of this church, it appears that I, and other people who are members, support paedophilia and abuse. It's as simple as that. This has to stop - I want out.

Are you actually serious? That like saying if a dog mauls a baby & gets put down then you should put down all dogs increase they maul babies! If you don't go to Church regularly or practice your religion regularly it shouldn't matter whether or not those dusty old farts have your name on a baptismal register.

I was raised Catholic, I have some believe in Christianity but don't practice the religion & vowed not to step foot inside a Catholic church (with the obvious exception of a loved ones funeral) until the sex abuse issue is dealt with. I don't care whether or not they list me as a Catholic! They could list me as a gerbil but that doesn't make me a gerbil!

If you that bothered about "being on the books" change your religion to a faith that lets you leave then leave that. Or like normal rational people you could just not give a crap:rolleyes:

Ah there appear to be a problem already - just called a friend who studies law and has a bit of experience with the EU court, and he advised me that before you can take anything to the EU court, all avenues have to be exhausted domestically first.

So I'm going to give the Courts a call tomorrow.

I've been checking the UN website and there appears to be another problem (see picture below)

http://i.imgur.com/PJ7jo.png

The Vatican is not a party to the Convention, and as you will see in the image "...it may be declared inadmissable".

Still gonna write to them though.

Are you actually serious? That like saying if a dog mauls a baby & gets put down then you should put down all dogs increase they maul babies! If you don't go to Church regularly or practice your religion regularly it shouldn't matter whether or not those dusty old farts have your name on a baptismal register.

I was raised Catholic, I have some believe in Christianity but don't practice the religion & vowed not to step foot inside a Catholic church (with the obvious exception of a loved ones funeral) until the sex abuse issue is dealt with. I don't care whether or not they list me as a Catholic! They could list me as a gerbil but that doesn't make me a gerbil!

If you that bothered about "being on the books" change your religion to a faith that lets you leave then leave that. Or like normal rational people you could just not give a crap:rolleyes:

That is not the same thing at all...at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

Why should we have to change to another religion that we dont believe in just to get out of the catholic church. That makes no sense:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Are you actually serious? That like saying if a dog mauls a baby & gets put down then you should put down all dogs increase they maul babies!

It's not like that at all.

It would be more akin to saying that if you were a member of the Labrador Owners Society for years and when it was later discovered that labradors were systematically mauling babies and that the Labrador Owners Society was covering up the evidence, that when you said that you were so disgusted by this that you wanted to leave the Labrador Owners Society, you discovered that they introduced a rule to say that you could never leave.

It's more like that, only the Catholic Church are more powerful & have more influence than the Labrador Owners Society.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Are you actually serious? That like saying if a dog mauls a baby & gets put down then you should put down all dogs increase they maul babies!
    Nobody said anything about genocide against catholics love. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

This **** annoys the hell out of me. How exactly are you forced to stay in the church? What effect does it have on you if they have your name on some list somewhere? How are you prevented from exercising your religious rights in anyway?

It's not like that at all.

It would be more akin to saying that if you were a member of the Labrador Owners Society for years and when it was later discovered that labradors were systematically mauling babies and that the Labrador Owners Society was covering up the evidence, that when you said that you were so disgusted by this that you wanted to leave the Labrador Owners Society, you discovered that they introduced a rule to say that you could never leave.

It's more like that, only the Catholic Church are more powerful & have more influence than the Labrador Owners Society.

This is excellent, and I thank you for it. Couldn't have explained it better myself (which is why I didn't :pac: )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

If this is the worst violation of human rights you ever experience I think you should count yourself lucky.

• Advertisement

This is excellent, and I thank you for it. Couldn't have explained it better myself (which is why I didn't :pac: )

Check this website out : http://www.labradorownersclub.com/

It's unbelievable - the home page has pictures of two of those monsters looking at you like like babies wouldn't maul in their mouths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

You don't have to attend church services etc. All you have to do is just reject the faith and Rome. That way it really doesn't matter.

I am just thankful I never found myself in a similar situation in regards to the Roman Catholic Church.

If this is the worst violation of human rights you ever experience I think you should count yourself lucky.
    There is no need to smokescreen the argument. Yes, there are places in the world that cut off your balls and stone women to death for being raped. There is also Disneyworld; cannibalism and cupcakes. None of which is of much relevance to the topic here though.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    You don't have to attend church services etc. All you have to do is just reject the faith and Rome. That way it really doesn't matter.

I am just thankful I never found myself in a similar situation in regards to the Roman Catholic Church.

You should consider yourself lucky.

Out of interest, how easy is it for you to leave the Protestant Church?

Check this website out : http://www.labradorownersclub.com/

It's unbelievable - the home page has pictures of two of those monsters looking at you like like babies wouldn't maul in their mouths.
    picture changes every refresh.

http://www.labradorownersclub.com/images/member_images_17.jpg

omg thats so cute :(

too bad half of them ate my family.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Easy, you just dont show up on the Sunday.

That's hardly the point. All human rights should be respected regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Ah there appear to be a problem already - just called a friend who studies law and has a bit of experience with the EU court, and he advised me that before you can take anything to the EU court, all avenues have to be exhausted domestically first.

So I'm going to give the Courts a call tomorrow.

I've been checking the UN website and there appears to be another problem (see picture below)

http://i.imgur.com/PJ7jo.png

The Vatican is not a party to the Convention, and as you will see in the image "...it may be declared inadmissable".

Still gonna write to them though.

I assume you have a bottomless pit of money to finance this crusade against tyranny and oppression? :rolleyes:

Don't know. I was never religious. Been in churches before but a lot of that is just church parades etc.

I assume you have a bottomless pit of money to finance this crusade against tyranny and oppression? :rolleyes:

And that's the type of attitude which sums up this poxy country.

• Advertisement

Not as bottomless as the organization conducting it.

There's a lot of posters here asking what difference does it make and why is it so important not be on the Church's list.

My answer to that would be another question - if it is actually unimportant and it doesn't actually matter, then why have the Catholic Church gone to such great lengths to prevent people doing of their own free will?

And that's the type of attitude which sums up this poxy country.

Maybe you ought to leave Ireland and cease a relationship with it as well seeing as the State was party to institutional abuse?

There's a lot of posters here asking what difference does it make and why is it so important not be on the Church's list.

My answer to that would be another question - if it is actually unimportant and it doesn't actually matter, then why have the Catholic Church gone to such great lengths to prevent people doing of their own free will?
    Doesn't the RCC have like a billion members? So you could see why they would do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

MagicSean wrote: »
    This **** annoys the hell out of me. How exactly are you forced to stay in the church? What effect does it have on you if they have your name on some list somewhere? How are you prevented from exercising your religious rights in anyway?

Why does this **** annoy you? What does it matter to you what other people want for themselves. Obviously it matters a lot to the catholic church, if it didnt there wouldnt be a problem. If it didnt matter how many people were listed as catholic then the vatican would never have changed the rules disallowing people from leaving.

Im not prevented from exercising my religious rights because I have no religion but I dont want to be affiliated with a religion that I not only dont believe in but that I am completely against

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Doesn't the RCC have like a billion members? So you could see why they would do it.

It was a rhetorical question.

Maybe you ought to leave Ireland and cease a relationship with it as well seeing as the State was party to institutional abuse?

I'm emigrating and starting a new job come February.

Weren't expecting that, were you?

Like a lot of people in our little country, I was baptised as a child. And for the communion and confirmation - I only did this for the money.

Looking back on it, they are the three biggest mistakes of my life. I no longer want to be a part of this disgusting organisation, and as such I want to leave.

You've lived a privileged life if these three ceremonies are genuinely the three biggest mistakes of your life.

Or do you just simply thrive on hyperbole, like I suspect?

I'm emigrating and starting a new job come February.

Weren't expecting that, were you?

Renouncing your citizenship and vowing never to return too?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Why does this **** annoy you? What does it matter to you what other people want for themselves. Obviously it matters a lot to the catholic church, if it didnt there wouldnt be a problem. If it didnt matter how many people were listed as catholic then the vatican would never have changed the rules disallowing people from leaving.

Im not prevented from exercising my religious rights because I have no religion but I dont want to be affiliated with a religion that I not only dont believe in but that I am completely against

It annoys me because it is pointless whinging. Is someone asks if you are a Catholic you say no. On the census you dont put Catholic. You don't donate to the church. You don't practice the religion. You can cry and cry about them having your name on a list of members but in the end it won't change anything because even if this list is destroyed there will always be a record of your baptism into the church.

Advertisement