Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Violation of Human Rights? - Not being able to leave the Catholic Church

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Overheal wrote: »
    Perhaps you didn't read the thread?

http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/

The Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Article 18.

• Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion; this right includes freedom to change his religion or belief, and freedom, either alone or in community with others and in public or private, to manifest his religion or belief in teaching, practice, worship and observance.
    Article 20.

• (1) Everyone has the right to freedom of peaceful assembly and association.
    • (2) No one may be compelled to belong to an association.

PREAMBLE

A religion is not legally an association afaik - Article 20 is more about trade unions and political movements.

The RCC rules do not infringe on Article 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

Yahew wrote: »
    Oh, FFS. If he wants to leave the Catholic Church because of abuse he should also forgo his citizenship because of the abuse. The State had final custodial responsibility for the care of those children.

Read back on my other posts - I've already told you that the abuse is not the only reason I want to leave. I'm not reiterating here, again, so go back and find them if you're interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

We'll see about that - I am determined to take this to court.

The only case you have is an organisation is keeping you on the books when you wanted out, possibly a data protection violation but nothing to do with the ( generally ignored) Universal Declaration.

Can you take Facebook to court too?

Or did they change that?

Read back on my other posts - I've already told you that the abuse is not the only reason I want to leave. I'm not reiterating here, again, so go back and find them if you're interested.

It seemed to be the major reason. Then you lost that argument and moved the goalposts. Until then there were allegories about the Nazi party making you a member, etc.

I think my main stumbling block may be the fact that the Vatican doesn't seem to recognise the Declaration of Human Rights:rolleyes:

So I'm going to have to find a way around that. Maybe by taking them to court via Ireland? I don't know. If there are any lawyers here with any input to give, let me know please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

A religion is not legally an association afaik - Article 20 is more about trade unions and political movements.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_association

Try again?

They do violate Article 18 (Freedom of Religion).

Whats a specific French law gotta do with the Universal Declaration.

The only case you have is an organisation is keeping you on the books when you wanted out, possibly a data protection violation but nothing to do with the ( generally ignored) Universal Declaration.

Can you take Facebook to court too?

Or did they change that?

I have no issue with Facebook - they didn't harbour paedophiles nor do they expect me to believe in a bearded fairy in the sky.

They do violate Article 18 (Freedom of Religion).

Only States can do that. (And, by the way, plenty do despite the Universal Declaration, written as it happens, when more than half the world lived in dictatorships. The UD has an advisory role only).

The Irish State is not stopping you changing your religion, nor is the Catholic Church - you can become a muslim. All that's happening is the Catholic church is not allowing you to remove your name from their DB.

Which is wrong, but not a huge deal.

• Advertisement

A badly written wikipedia article that appears to be about France is not a great source.

What is an association in Irish law? Anyway does in matter when the UDoHR only applies to States?

It seemed to be the major reason. Then you lost that argument and moved the goalposts. Until then there were allegories about the Nazi party making you a member, etc.

I moved no goalposts. The fact of the matter is: the State does not try to prevent me from renouncing my citizenship. Whereas the church does stop me from renouncing their cult-like faith.

Now do you understand?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

Oh, FFS. If he wants to leave the Catholic Church because of abuse he should also forgo his citizenship because of the abuse. The State had final custodial responsibility for the care of those children.

He never said he wants to leave because of abuse and either way why should he give up his citizenship over what one government did. I am a citizen of Ireland I am loyal to this land not whatever government who happens to runs it or make the laws at this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Only States can do that. (And, by the way, plenty do despite the Universal Declaration, written as it happens, when more than half the world lived in dictatorships. The UD has an advisory role only).

The Irish State is not stopping you changing your religion, nor is the Catholic Church - you can become a muslim. All that's happening is the Catholic church is not allowing you to remove your name from their DB.

Which is wrong, but not a huge deal.
    To you. They use that data to influence Ireland politically.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Do you suggest that US citizens should renounce their citizenship because of the Iraq War, because of the Contra debacle? Or how about the Waco Siege, whereby the State are believed to have been party to it.

Be realistic - if I were to renounce my citizenship, I would be stateless. How is that going to help?

Who's speaking in hyperbole now?
    Should all Catholics worldwide renounce their religion and convert to another denomination just because a minute number (Out of the billions of Catholics that have ever lived) just so happened to be child abusers / cover up child abuse? Regardless of how high up someone in an organisation is they should not be able to taint the organisation as a whole. If I was a Catholic I would not renounce my religion but I would try and right the wrongs in its organisation.

He never said he wants to leave because of abuse and either way why should he give up his citizenship over what one government did. I am a citizen of Ireland I am loyal to this land not whatever government who happens to runs it or make the laws at this time.

That's a great point.

Its up to the State to recognise the data as spurious and not be influenced by it.

All sorts of organisations use fantasy statistics. Even our own government when it suits.

Its up to the State to recognise the data as spurious and not be influenced by it.

All sorts of organisations use fantasy statistics. Even our own government when it suits.

Going around in circles here, but here goes - the government allow us an opt-out, but the church does not. That is it simply put.

Should all Catholics worldwide renounce their religion and convert to another denomination just because a minute number (Out of the billions of Catholics that have ever lived) just so happened to be child abusers / cover up child abuse? Regardless of how high up someone in an organisation is they should not be able to taint the organisation as a whole. If I was a Catholic I would not renounce my religion but I would try and right the wrongs in its organisation.

As I've already mentioned several times now, the abuse is only one of many reason I want to leave. The other main reasons are the fact that I do not believe in this "God" they speak of, and I do not like being forced to be a member of an organisation, especially one I find so disgusting.

Article 18.

• Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion; this right includes freedom to change his religion or belief, and freedom, either alone or in community with others and in public or private, to manifest his religion or belief in teaching, practice, worship and observance.
    The thing is... do the Catholic church actually prevent you from changing your religion?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

The freedom to leave or discontinue membership in a religion or religious group —in religious terms called "apostasy"—is a fundamental part of religious freedom, covered by Article 18 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

Ah yeah, but as UglyBolloxFace already pointed out the Vatican does not need to comply to that, and for obvious (relevant) reasons they opted out.

So morally yes he certainly has the right, but legally no.

He can't force the Church to comply to that, and the way the church has gone, I'm sorry to say, he will not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

How? We have our own more accurate list of the religious make-up of the country. Granted, there are more Jedi in the country than one might think but the census gives a genuine view of how many Catholics there are.

It wasn't one government, it was many governments. And these covered the entire political spectrum.

You cannot be loyal to a State if you are not loyal to the institutions that run the State.

OP only opened this thread to have a good Catholic bash, which is in vogue at the moment. Fair enough. However when the hypocrisy of not wanting to treat the other organisation (i.e. the State) with the same contempt for the same wrong doing is annoying. At least be consistent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

While it is true that the State had final custodial responsibility for the care of those children, it is also true that the influence of the Catholic Church over the State has been huge - so huge, that back then, almost all the children in care were under the direct care of the Church.

They abused this power to a point beyond belief - not alone in the abuse of the children but in their subsequent cover-ups and denial.

It is almost unfathomable that now - the organisation that directly caused this abuse - are in direct control of 93% of our schools and have a significant influence not only over what is taught to the majority of our children, but to who they choose to teach to.

If this were not significant enough reason for not wanting to be listed as part of the Catholic Church, then I don't know what is.

No-one is denying that the State failed in their responsibilities to care for children, but that is not a good reason to renounce citizenship. You don't simply walk away from a problem like that - you change how the state operates, by pushing for changes in legislation on issues of child care & by making your government responsible for these issues.

It is equally as important that if you wish to remove the influence of the Church from the State & want to move towards a secular society, that at the very least you can express your will to leave their organisation.

And for me, it is also very important that if the Church is not removed from the control of our schools, that at the very least the State provides an alternative to Church run schools for every citizen who does not wish their child to be educated under their doctrine.

It's very easy to blame the State as if the State is some uncontrollable third party.. but let us not forget that the state is not the government - they are simply the legislators and arbitrators. We, the people are the State and the ultimate responsibilty for how this country is run and the extent of influence which the Church has over how it is run is and should be down to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭TheChizler

One issue that hasn't been addressed here is that, is there even a register or list of members at all? Can you imagine the administrative difficulties in auditing that list every year? Cross-referencing birth certs against death records throughout different parishes in different countries in order to produce an up to date list would clearly be an impossible task. Defections, which are only comments on the baptism cert and 5 minutes of a priest's time, would furher complicate the process. If a membership list were created on the basis of baptism records alone it would be an ever increasing list, in the 10s of millions in Ireland. Surely a more practical approach would be to use already existing census figures, or even mass attendance figures.

That aside, in order to be officially considered a Catholic don't you have to follow the 5 Precepts of the Church? Confession once a year etc? If you don't follow these, in their eyes you can't be a Catholic.

However the thing I'd put it most down to is that it's a matter of belief. There is no way you can be considered a Catholic if you yourself don't believe you are one. Same goes if you are a non-believer. I don't consider myself a member of any religion, and I don't see how anyone can claim otherwise, apart from some Mormons, but they don't know me. Nobody can force you to believe something you don't. Surely believing that you can't leave the church is giving them the power over you that you were looking to escape in the first place?

To answer your question, I don't believe the Church are contravening this particular article. The right to freedom of religion lies solely with the individual, the only person who can stop you practicing, in private, is yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭timesnap

Can anybody clarify where the Universal law of human rights came from?
    The Wiki article is fairly unclear other than vague reference's to France.

this is the problem sometimes on boards when a user choose's not to include country of their birth.

i have said in an earlier post that Irelands Constitution was sent line by line to the leading Catholic church figures for approval before Devalera would include it in the draft.

this type of issue varies so much by Country.

thanks

MagicSean wrote: »
    How? We have our own more accurate list of the religious make-up of the country. Granted, there are more Jedi in the country than one might think but the census gives a genuine view of how many Catholics there are.

Jedi was not counted on the census last time. The last thing the CSO want are people taking the piss with an expensive survey. Anyone who puts down a non-specified religion will be considered "Other" and statistic reported as such.

I'd actually like people who take the piss with the census to be prosecuted.

As I've already mentioned several times now, the abuse is only one of many reason I want to leave. The other main reasons are the fact that I do not believe in this "God" they speak of, and I do not like being forced to be a member of an organisation, especially one I find so disgusting.
    Well, no one is really forcing you to believe in God nor to be an active member of the organisation. No one sensible could possibly associate with you with the Catholic church regardless of what the RCC have on file. Your opinion on the organisation nullifies the link imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

timesnap wrote: »
    Can anybody clarify where the Universal law of human rights came from?

It was adopted by the UN Assembly after the Second World War .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

TheChizler wrote: »
    One issue that hasn't been addressed here is that, is there even a register or list of members at all? Can you imagine the administrative difficulties in auditing that list every year? Cross-referencing birth certs against death records throughout different parishes in different countries in order to produce an up to date list would clearly be an impossible task. Defections, which are only comments on the baptism cert and 5 minutes of a priest's time, would furher complicate the process. If a membership list were created on the basis of baptism records alone it would be an ever increasing list, in the 10s of millions in Ireland. Surely a more practical approach would be to use already existing census figures, or even mass attendance figures.

That aside, in order to be officially considered a Catholic don't you have to follow the 5 Precepts of the Church? Confession once a year etc? If you don't follow these, in their eyes you can't be a Catholic.

However the thing I'd put it most down to is that it's a matter of belief. There is no way you can be considered a Catholic if you yourself don't believe you are one. Same goes if you are a non-believer. I don't consider myself a member of any religion, and I don't see how anyone can claim otherwise, apart from some Mormons, but they don't know me. Nobody can force you to believe something you don't. Surely believing that you can't leave the church is giving them the power over you that you were looking to escape in the first place?

To answer your question, I don't believe the Church are contravening this particular article. The right to freedom of religion lies solely with the individual, the only person who can stop you practicing, in private, is yourself.

I would be pretty certain there is in each parish/diocese.

People don't actually no this, which is amazing, but the Pope doesn't run the church (the lizard people do!!!)

But in all seriousness bureaucrats have a huge amount of influence in the Vatican hierarchy.

And some of the more liberal positions the church may have held, they don't, as they are getting a huge amount of converts in North America for their positions.

Advertisement