Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Income Protection

Options
  • 11-01-2012 11:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I have been on sick leave for almost 13 weeks (deferred period as set out in income protection plan). My employers have let me know that they have forwarded my details to insurance company to get me onto income protection, and that the insurance company would be in contact.

Will the insurance company contact my doctor before contacting me? I don't like the idea of them obtaining medical records without my written consent, as I would like some control over the information they receive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Under data protection act medical information is not easy to pass on.

However your company can pass on all relevant documents they have to this company. I would raise your concern with your doctor as they will have your interests in mind not your company or 3rd party.

Chances are you'll have full say in what your doctor tells them.

Just to add, the 3rd party company could require you to attend there own doctor for evaluation of you situation. Again the doctor would tend to let you know what's being said.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭skippy2

Having gone through this you will be asked to give consent in advance and unless you have something to hide there should be no reason why you should not
    I would advise to be open and straight with these people but also take no s''''''t from them. They will try to make this as difficult as possible in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Kennie1

Usually when you take out a polciy like this you give the insurance company permission to access your medical records and again in the event of a claim. In the case of company PHI, the permission is usually granted by you when you fill out the claim form.

If you do not give consent the insurance will not entertain your claim as they cannot access the validy of your claim. The questions that they would ask relates to the condition that you are claiming for and to see if there was non disclosure of relavant medical information when you took out the policy.

If you ask your doctor not to pass on relavant information, the insurance company will quite rightly refuse to pay your claim as they will not have sufficent information to access the validity of your claim. As skippy 2 said if you have nothing to hide there is no valid reason for you keep medical information from the insurer as they will handle this information with extream care as per data protection rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 nohow

you should have filled out claim form? if so you have given consent when you signed same. you should have nothing to worry about if all is above board

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Bobo et al

Hello, I would really appreciate and information you can give. I have been seem by my own GP, Company Doctor twice, Consultant I was referred to by my GP and after his report was submitted to the Insurance Company they said they needed clarification on something and almost immediately referred me to a Consultant of their choice. Now they say they are awaiting clarification on a point from him. Can they keep sending me to further Consultants? It appears if if they are trying to find one who says I am fit for work. I am off work with Stress and find it hard to get out of bed most days.

• Advertisement
Advertisement