Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you take 'any job' ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I'm lucky to have found a job I really enjoy but if I was desperate I would do just about anything bar selling myself.

To be honest with the way things are you're fooling yourself if you rule out a certain kind of employment. The height of a recession is not the time for being picky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

3 jobs I wouldn't do:

1. Chugging- I hate them sooooo much!!
    2. Prostitute
    3. Clamper, simply immoral.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

One job I would never go back to is being a Doorman (Bouncer).
    I worked some of the toughest doors in London when I was young and foolish.
    I wore a stab vest to work every night and spent years throwing drunk people out for fighting and misbehaving. You get punched, kicked, spat at, abuse, people pulling knives, trying to glass you. I threw one man out and he hunted my car for weeks after. He found it in the end, and smashed every window, and light in it.
    I decided to quit when I was ahead, after seeing my colleague get a pint glass smashed in his face and scarred for life. After a long Crown Court trial the man was convicted. I retired after that.
    The first pub I worked for had a capacity of 450. The average age was 19, and the most popular drink was pints of cider. People would down a pint and throw it against the wall. The floor was like ice with all the spilt drink and crushed glass. It could take 10-15 minutes to break up a gang fight on the dance floor in there, and most nights my Tesco shirts went in the bin; too covered in blood, drink, and sick to wash (if they had some buttons left).
    You get used to breaking up fights, taking knives off people, and throwing people out; but its hard work, both mentally and physically.
    It nearly killed me one night trying to break up a fight between a Royal Marine and a skin head (1980's Ska fan). They were trying to knock each other out with some of the hardest punches I have ever seen. The skin head wouldn't give in and came back and threw bricks through the windows of the pub.
    It hardened me up though. And I only choose to remember the good times. But you take a lot of abuse, threats, and violence. Its the hardest job in the world. I would do many jobs if I had to, but not door work again.

Dealing with the public is a tough job. Throw in alcohol and drugs and it's a nightmare.

Your point about having your car hunted for reminded me of that film Roadhouse with Patrick Swayze. The story's about a Zen like bouncer who's known around the area for his bouncing skills. Great film!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'm not afraid of work, and have done manual labour before, but Sales is not just work, it requires particular skills and character traits that I just don't possess. My natural tendency is to mind my own business and leave other people alone, so that would make me a very poor Chugger or cold-caller.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Having stupidly packed in my dunnes stores job before my 4th year exams and not expecting the dot com bubble I worked in mac d's for 6 months after graduating. Lots of people I know signed on when they knew they could work their too and still managed to spend far longer looking for a better job then i did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I would do anything except prostitution or drugs I guess :D

In the past I have sold flowers in night clubs and also handed out leaflets.

I am working at the moment (full time and really like it, good pay etc) so I wouldn't be actively looking for another but tbh if somethign small on the sides came along I wouldn't say no, would be nice to have a bit extra to lash off the ol' debts. I know there are probably people who would jump down my throat for saying that and think that more than one job is just greedy so...sorry :(

I find it hard to believe (not saying I dont believe op) that people would still refuse jobs in the current climate...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

No, I wouldn't take "any job."

I've been working in crap jobs since I was 14! I've cleaned up plenty of sh*t and puke and all the rest. I've done my time washing dishes in a busy restaurant, I've done LOADS of retail, waitressing, childminding, etc. I've spent a lot of time working with older colleagues in a dead-end job, who absolutely drilled it into me that I needed to cop on, sort my life out, and make sure I never ended up in their position. Now, much as I admire those guys, they were right.

So, I went to college and got a first class honours degree, and am currently working for one of the biggest firms in the world and sitting professional exams. And it's absolute hell, but I like it. :)

If I became unemployed tomorrow, I would not go back to washing dishes. I would rather accept social welfare. I'm not work-shy or whatever, it's just that I feel that I've done my time in the crap jobs, I've proven myself in the real world.

I would honestly rather work in my field of training at a crap salary - or even NO salary - than wash dishes / clean up puke for three times that salary. Because I know that I'm good at my job, and because I take a lot of pride in doing my job well. :)

Obviously, though, if I had any dependants, my pride would take a backseat to their well-being.

Oh yeah and chugging! Just read through the posts there. Wouldn't do that either for 2 reasons. 1.because I do not agree with the way they hound people and 2. I know I would be really bad at it lol

One job I would never go back to is being a Doorman (Bouncer).
    I worked some of the toughest doors in London when I was young and foolish.
    I wore a stab vest to work every night and spent years throwing drunk people out for fighting and misbehaving. You get punched, kicked, spat at, abuse, people pulling knives, trying to glass you. I threw one man out and he hunted my car for weeks after. He found it in the end, and smashed every window, and light in it.
    I decided to quit when I was ahead, after seeing my colleague get a pint glass smashed in his face and scarred for life. After a long Crown Court trial the man was convicted. I retired after that.
    The first pub I worked for had a capacity of 450. The average age was 19, and the most popular drink was pints of cider. People would down a pint and throw it against the wall. The floor was like ice with all the spilt drink and crushed glass. It could take 10-15 minutes to break up a gang fight on the dance floor in there, and most nights my Tesco shirts went in the bin; too covered in blood, drink, and sick to wash (if they had some buttons left).
    You get used to breaking up fights, taking knives off people, and throwing people out; but its hard work, both mentally and physically.
    It nearly killed me one night trying to break up a fight between a Royal Marine and a skin head (1980's Ska fan). They were trying to knock each other out with some of the hardest punches I have ever seen. The skin head wouldn't give in and came back and threw bricks through the windows of the pub.
    It hardened me up though. And I only choose to remember the good times. But you take a lot of abuse, threats, and violence. Its the hardest job in the world. I would do many jobs if I had to, but not door work again.

Wow what an interesting story, thanks for sharing. Never knew it could be that tough. Think I'll always be a little nicer to bouncers now :D Hope you found something you love!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I did the bins for a while and it was handiest number ever, up in the morning, down to the depot, into the lorry, hop on/hop off, attach bin to machine and away ye go. It's well paid and I much prefer working until lunch time and having the rest of the day at my leisure. I also did doorwork and thought it was the best craic ever, despite the attempted stabbings and bottles to the face; it can actually be quite an exhilirating job through which you get to meet and work with plenty of good people too. I did door to door sales also and loved it, although I was only trying to get customers for a milk delivery round so I wasn't selling anything too convoluted.

The only jobs I'd never do would be car clamping or debt collection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I would do most jobs rather than go on the dole.

I wouldn't do commission based work because it usally involves annoying people and coming out with less than minimum wage.

I wouldn't do cold calling again because I've done it before, and as someone stated above - it is immoral. I hated it.

Anything else would be fair game! Cleaning, inbound call centre, carer, bin-lady, waitressing, retail..... Putting money in my pocket comes first, and I would rather earn it than just take it from the government.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I've said it before and got flack for it, but I stand by my opinion here...

I went to Uni, got my BA, MA and HDip so I wouldn't have to work a "bad" job. I did everything the "right" way, only to come out of the system and find I pretty much wasted my time. As much as it frustrates me being on the dole, I point blank refuse to work a job I could have done without my qualifications. I know some people think thats stuck up or that people will think badly about me for taking "their" money on benefits. God knows I've had fights with my Dad when he tried to line up toilet cleaning jobs and the likes. But I am so ****ed off with Ireland at the moment and the mess the government have landed us in that I have no problem taking their money....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 AngryPensioner

I feel that I've done my time in the crap jobs, I've proven myself in the real world.

This attitude annoys me tbh. You are above no job assuming you are capable for work. If I was in power, I would abolish social welfare for well bodied adults and set up a charity for less fortunate people.

I have a Masters Degree in Science and I would still shovel **** for some money. Education isn't an excuse for not contributing to the economy. This attitude of expecting tax payers to fund your ego is immoral. I would not expect others to pay for my dole year on year.

I guess I am simply too principled to agree with this attitude:confused: I was brought up to never accept handouts. There is a difference between a real dole recipient and somebody who believes jobs are above them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

What about this woman,she's taking legal action against the British government as she had to take a job in poundland or lose her benefits.She's a geology graduate.
    A graduate made to work for her jobless benefits as a shelf stacker in Poundland is taking legal action against the Government under the Human Rights Act.

Cait Reilly, who studied geology at university, had been unable to find a job in her subject area and was claiming unemployment benefit while volunteering in a museum in the hope it would lead to a job in that sector.

But the 22-year-old had to give up the placement in order to work in the budget store under a Government scheme designed to encourage the long-term unemployed back to work.
    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2085142/Unemployed-graduate-sues-ministers-forced-stack-shelves-Poundland.html#ixzz1jEkGh3sh

Could she not at least see that any potential employer might prefer the fact that she had some kind of employment during her life.If I was interviewing her I'd prefer to hear that she did some kind of work instead of graduating and sitting on the dole expecting to be handed her dream job.

I've been on both sides of the table when it comes to interviews and I'd rather hear from someone who at least worked somewhere,even if it was just a Summer job.This willingness to work is a big advantage when it comes to these situations.

With the state of the economy now people are taking what they can,I know highly qualified people doing delivery jobs just to make a few quid.I also know a few who had been sheltered from the recession until recently and have gotten a rude awakening when they realised they wouldn't walk from one job straight into another or earn the same money as they had before.

zerks wrote: »
    Could she not at least see that any potential employer might prefer the fact that she had some kind of employment during her life.If I was interviewing her I'd prefer to hear that she did some kind of work instead of graduating and sitting on the dole expecting to be handed her dream job.

She was volunteering in a museum. :confused:
    Not sitting around doing nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

I've said it before and got flack for it, but I stand by my opinion here...

I went to Uni, got my BA, MA and HDip so I wouldn't have to work a "bad" job. I did everything the "right" way, only to come out of the system and find I pretty much wasted my time. As much as it frustrates me being on the dole, I point blank refuse to work a job I could have done without my qualifications. I know some people think thats stuck up or that people will think badly about me for taking "their" money on benefits. God knows I've had fights with my Dad when he tried to line up toilet cleaning jobs and the likes. But I am so ****ed off with Ireland at the moment and the mess the government have landed us in that I have no problem taking their money....

The only problem with this is no one is 'entitled' to a job. Just because you did things the 'right way' doesn't mean anything-no business owes you work, whether Ireland is in a recession or economic boom.

You also have to remember that while a BA and MA are worthwhile achievements unless they are in an area of employment demand they are not a gateway to automatic employment. A BA in Classical Studies is all well and good but don't expect companies to be crying out for classics graduates when you're finished.

bluewolf wrote: »

Unpaid work does not help the economy one iota. She was given a chance to contribute to the economy. She refused. Her dole should have been stopped. Universities tend to be cesspits for her delusional style of thinking. It disgusts me:o

zerks wrote: »
    What about this woman,she's taking legal action against the British government as she had to take a job in poundland or lose her benefits.She's a geology graduate.

That's an odd one, my field is related relatively close to geology and there's still a fair bit of work around if you're prepared to travel at all. I find it hard to believe she found no paying work in it in over two years to be honest.

The only problem with this is no one is 'entitled' to a job. Just because you did things the 'right way' doesn't mean anything-no business owes you work, whether Ireland is in a recession or economic boom.

You also have to remember that while a BA and MA are worthwhile achievements unless they are in an area of employment demand they are not a gateway to automatic employment. A BA in Classical Studies is all well and good but don't expect companies to be crying out for classics graduates when you're finished.

Thats all fair enough and you won't find me disagreeing with any of it. I don't feel I'm entitled to anything, but there's a difference between having a sense of entitlement and wanting the chance to actually go for the big jobs. I don't expect to just be handed my dream job but right now I'm not even being given a chance to earn that job. Instead, I've got people going on as if I'm a freak for actually wanting to avoid the bad jobs like toilet cleaning and the likes...

Thats all fair enough and you won't find me disagreeing with any of it. I don't feel I'm entitled to anything, but there's a difference between having a sense of entitlement and wanting the chance to actually go for the big jobs. I don't expect to just be handed my dream job but right now I'm not even being given a chance to earn that job. Instead, I've got people going on as if I'm a freak for actually wanting to avoid the bad jobs like toilet cleaning and the likes...

I have a practical solution to your problem friend. I am in the process of completing this move. It's called "leaving Ireland":) Best of luck in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭emmetmurphy

A Renter Boy would be out of the question for me

I have a practical solution to your problem friend. I am in the process of completing this move. It's called "leaving Ireland":) Best of luck in the future.

Oh, do bugger off and don't get me started on the whole emigration thing. That attitude is one of my most hated attitudes in Ireland right now...

If your dream job isn't there there is not much to be done about it. Have you considered moving to the UK/mainland Europe etc.? Even at the height of the 'boom' Ireland had a relatively small pool of 'high end' jobs. In the US its considered quite normal to move big distances work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

bluewolf wrote: »

2 years without finding any work,volunteering in a museum isn't exactly going out working plus it seems she wasn't actively seeking work otherwise she wouldn't be on that scheme.She was happy to claim benefits but never did a days paid work to contribute to the system that supports her.
    She has now returned to her voluntary role at the city’s Pen Room Museum of writing and pen trade memorabilia, still looking for paid employment.

A PEN MUSEUM!! FFS. And still looking for paid employment??,she was offered paid employment and decided it was against her human rights,anyway who is paying her legal fees?

It seems to me that she finds any work that's not her 'dream job' beneath her and using volunteer work in a museum to validate her argument.
    Plenty of oil and mining companies etc. need geologists,not much need for one in Birmingham where she lives.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

LighterGuy wrote: »
    Alot of people are unemployed and its getting tougher to land a job.
    So are you the type of person to take 'any job' thats going? ... Or 'within reason' ?

For example, I have seen people who wouldnt take the following jobs:

- Cleaner (Office/Shoping centre/Street Cleaner)
    - Refuse Bin Collection (Bin Man)
    - General Operative (ie, manual labor jobs)
    - Etc. (enter your example)

So what best decribes your mentality? (poll included)
    For me, I am the type of guy who thinks you gotta do what you gotta do :)

i know a few guys that are binmen... they get paid quite alot for doing it.

reasons for it is 1. its a high risk health hazard (both from bacterial infection and back injuries)
    2. ya stink by the end of your shift
    3. you have to get up at stupid o'clock every day

I think people are more shocked that as a healthy and able person, you would choose to do nothing, rather than to do something productive to earn money because you feel it is beneath you.

We would all love jobs that we are passionate about, and fair play to you for getting your qualifications, but if you can't get the job you want at the moment then surely you can see it is better to contribute something to society rather than being a drain on resources?

I think people are more shocked that as a healthy and able person, you would choose to do nothing, rather than to do something productive to earn money because you feel it is beneath you.

We would all love jobs that we are passionate about, and fair play to you for getting your qualifications, but if you can't get the job you want at the moment then surely you can see it is better to contribute something to society rather than being a drain on resources?

See, here's the problem though.

My chosen profession is teaching. Right now, the way you break into teaching is by sending CVs round to all the schools, saying you're available for subwork. If you're lucky, you get a phonecall at 9 in the morning and are asked to come in. I'm in the position where I'm actually the number 2 sub for a school at the moment, and have got 7 days work over the last 4 months.

That's breaking into teaching right now. If I choose to go into a shelf-packing job or some other "easily available" job, or even if I opt to take one of the internships, then that's me basically saying "I'm done with teaching". I would have to basically give up on being a teacher since I would not be available in a way that would impress schools and get me in there. So in order to keep going and try to get a job as a teacher, I've got to remain ready by the phone each morning.

As far as "contributing something to society goes", I honestly am not that bothered. I was tempted to make some arguement about how my parents have contributed and now I'm availing of a system, and in the years to come, I'll contribute back. I have no intentions of being unemployed till the day I die. But then I realise that the truth is society seems to have had a great contempt for me long before I was unemployed; that society has deemed that I should go emigrate or take a bad job because I chose to go through third level education. Society has landed me into a country where young, educated people are not valued at all, and the options are either take jobs which could have been done without education or just leave the country.

Society does not seem fond of me right now and wants me to **** off. So why I should I care about contributing to society right now?

Teamshadowclan - the same society made of of taxpayers, which also funds 3rd level education?

I know the Ireland is in a mess right now, but you seem to be getting caught up in self pity rather than just getting on with things and making the best of it.

Something else to consider is that regardless of your choice of career, potential employers prefer to see something on your CV instead of nothing. It shows you aren't afraid to work hard. I understand you need to be available for subbing, but there are always evening jobs on the go.

I hope you realise I am not having a go at you personally, it's just that I believe that being on welfare should be for people who have no other choice, not for people who just decide they don't want to work if it isn't in a particular area. If everyone had your attitude, this country would be in even more of a mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I would do anything for love but I wont do that .......

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

As we live on an island and i live by the coast there are always ways of making money.

with the last year i have been winkle picking when the tide goes out, back breaking but it's only 4 hours a day, the buyers on average will pay you 80-100 euro for an 8 stone bag.

If the tide is good and you are a good picker you can get 6-8 stone for a few hours work plus tis cash in hand, and tis great out in the air and nobody to bother you,

The amount of foreigners picking them is increasing all the time as a lot of irish people don't seem to like the thought of doing it.

• Advertisement

gustafo wrote: »
    As we live on an island and i live by the coast there are always ways of making money.

with the last year i have been winkle picking when the tide goes out, back breaking but it's only 4 hours a day, the buyers on average will pay you 80-100 euro for an 8 stone bag.

If the tide is good and you are a good picker you can get 6-8 stone for a few hours work plus tis cash in hand, and tis great out in the air and nobody to bother you,

The amount of foreigners picking them is increasing all the time as a lot of irish people don't seem to like the thought of doing it.

It can be fairly dangerous if it's done in the wrong place though. Remember Morcambe Bay a few years back, you really have to know your tides.

Teamshadowclan - the same society made of of taxpayers, which also funds 3rd level education?

Yeah, they funded part of my third level education. And they'll make more than enough of it back when I get the job I am trained for in the long term rather than taking a minimum wage job in the short term with no chance of upward progression. If I stick with the optamstic view and get the job I want, I'll pay back my fees and more.
    Again I say, this is not me arguing that I want to be unemployed forever, but rather that the way the teaching profession is at the moment, unemployment is a major factor in the long term plan unfortunatly.
    I know the Ireland is in a mess right now, but you seem to be getting caught up in self pity rather than just getting on with things and making the best of it.

No self-pity here. Wouldn't want to portray myself as someone who is full of pity for myself. I've got a good family, live a comfortable life and am quite happy. Don't think this is a "woe is me" topic. If anything, it's the people who are saying "I'd do anything" or "I think people should do anything" that are the ones who the word pity comes into play for. I'm not being caught up in self-pity at all.
    Something else to consider is that regardless of your choice of career, potential employers prefer to see something on your CV instead of nothing. It shows you aren't afraid to work hard. I understand you need to be available for subbing, but there are always evening jobs on the go.

Again, I've no intentions of taking any old job, even an evening job, just cause some people seem to think I should be contributing to a society which doesn't even seem to care about me. And I've always questioned this arguement that schools would give a damn about whether or not I've stacked shelves when hiring me; ultimatly, if a school hires me, it's going to be based on experience within the field I want to teach.
    I hope you realise I am not having a go at you personally, it's just that I believe that being on welfare should be for people who have no other choice, not for people who just decide they don't want to work if it isn't in a particular area. If everyone had your attitude, this country would be in even more of a mess.

No, don't worry, I realise it's not personal. You're making general points, and likewise, I'm just responding to them because I have a different view.

I will say I think the dole is too high for me; I don't drink and don't have much of a social life (surprise surprise ;P) so a lot of what I get goes into my bank. I've argued for the cutting of social welfare under certain conditions before. And I do see why someone would say "I believe it should only be for people with no choice". But the truth is that's long been a problem with benefits, even before the depressions and economic problems...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

@Teamshadowclan - why don't you go abroad for a year or two to get teaching experience, then come back. I mean it's better than sitting around here at the minute getting little or no experience.

This attitude annoys me tbh. You are above no job assuming you are capable for work. If I was in power, I would abolish social welfare for well bodied adults and set up a charity for less fortunate people.

I have a Masters Degree in Science and I would still shovel **** for some money. Education isn't an excuse for not contributing to the economy. This attitude of expecting tax payers to fund your ego is immoral. I would not expect others to pay for my dole year on year.

I guess I am simply too principled to agree with this attitude:confused: I was brought up to never accept handouts. There is a difference between a real dole recipient and somebody who believes jobs are above them.

I agree. A harsher line for those who dont need it would leave more in the pot for those who do. I went to college also and graduated with an honours chem degree. There is no work now so I am in a job (albeit a good one that I like) that is not related to my chosen career. I know that I am over qualified for the job I do (that is not the same as saying "It's beneath me, I shouldn't do it - it pays the bills etc) but I know I could do MORE if there were more jobs in the field. I am now planning to return to college part time in September so I can continue to work and pay my fees and re-train in a different area. It will not be easy working full time and attending college 20 hours a week but I'd rather do that than sit on my backside whingeing about how the system ahsn't worked for me.

@Teamshadowclan - why don't you go abroad for a year or two to get teaching experience, then come back. I mean it's better than sitting around here at the minute getting little or no experience.

Cause I have no intentions of emigrating for even a short time.

I detest this Irish attitude where emigration is seen not as a tragic parting of youth from a country and the exporting of our most valuble asset, but as completly the norm. I hate that I am seen as the bad guy for not wanting to abandon my family and friends. I hate that emigration is seen as option number one, and I will fight that Irish attitude with every breath in my body.

Cause I have no intentions of emigrating for even a short time.

I detest this Irish attitude where emigration is seen not as a tragic parting of youth from a country and the exporting of our most valuble asset, but as completly the norm. I hate that I am seen as the bad guy for not wanting to abandon my family and friends. I hate that emigration is seen as option number one, and I will fight that Irish attitude with every breath in my body.

Face it. I'm sure there are plenty of people who've immigrated to gain work experience. When they come back, they'll be in a better position to get a job than you would. Nobody's judging you but if you say that you don't feel obliged to be apart of this society then why do you care so much about this little dot of an island? Irish people have always had a "jump to it" attitude, so maybe that explains why they don't sit around sobbing about their circumstances and just go and immigrate.

Personally, I can't wait to get out of here. State of the place.

If you can't wait to get out, fine. That's YOUR decision. It's not fair that you should force that attitude onto others. If you've decided to move abroad, then fair play. You're making a decision on how you live your life.

But let me make my own decisions please. I don't have a commitment to the country. Personally, I hate several key aspects of Irish culture. But as I said, my friends, my family and my life are here. I don't want to emigrate and again I say, it should not be something that is considered the social norm for people. I should not be looked down on because I do not want to be forced out of my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Honestly? While I'm not overly fussy about the type of work I'd be doing, I couldn't see myself working for less than my dole "entitlements" which, given my current circumstances as the sole earner in a co-habiting couple renting a 3 bedroom house in Dublin, would currently be the equivalent of about a 43k a year or so job.

If you can't wait to get out, fine. That's YOUR decision. It's not fair that you should force that attitude onto others. If you've decided to move abroad, then fair play. You're making a decision on how you live your life.

But let me make my own decisions please. I don't have a commitment to the country. Personally, I hate several key aspects of Irish culture. But as I said, my friends, my family and my life are here. I don't want to emigrate and again I say, it should not be something that is considered the social norm for people. I should not be looked down on because I do not want to be forced out of my life.

Immigration isn't really a big of a thing as it was years ago. We're living in an age of mass communication and cheap flights. If you see it from this perspective, you'll never be too far away from home. If you immigrate for a temporary period (say a year) and come back, you won't be really leaving you family/friends permanently. If you feel really bad about you job circumstances and want to get the experience so that you can get a job here in the future, then temporary working abroad wouldn't be a bad choice. It's the logical opinion. It seems to me like you're just stuck in a rut.

• Advertisement

Immigration isn't really a big of a thing as it was years ago. We're living in an age of mass communication and cheap flights. If you see it from this perspective, you'll never be too far away from home. If you immigrate for a temporary period (say a year) and come back, you won't be really leaving you family/friends permanently. If you feel really bad about you job circumstances and want to get the experience so that you can get a job here in the future, then temporary working abroad wouldn't be a bad choice. It's the logical opinion. It seems to me like you're just stuck in a rut.

Immigation has never been a big thing in Ireland. That's my problem. It's the norm and that's what bugs me.

Regardless, I've had this emigration arguement countless times, and its clear we've got different opinions on this matter. Rather than spiral into the typical AH 200 page "debate" where we say the same thing over and over, let's leave it at that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

Refused a job as a clamper when i was on the dole many years back. All the jobs mentioned i've actually done at some stage would have no problem doing them again if my family needed the money.

IMO, people who are on the dole should be given an option;

Do some part-time work for the state (public works, etc.) while searching for a job in the mean time or get refused the dole.

If the state came up with such a policy you could have plenty of cheap labour available for building road, tunnels, bridges, etc., no problem. You wouldn't have to put public works on hold, as they are at the minute. Plus the benefit for the worker is he's getting some experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Teamshadowclan, you like most others who've obtained teaching qualifications in recent years are coming up against a hard problem: we have too many teachers in Ireland.

The high salary, high amounts of annual leave and almost total job security have attracted far too many people to the profession.

Not everyone gets to be a rock-star, not everyone gets to be a premier league footballer and, odd as it may sound, not everyone gets to be a teacher either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

If the state came up with such a policy you could have plenty of cheap labour available for building road, tunnels, bridges, etc., no problem. You wouldn't have to put public works on hold, as they are at the minute. Plus the benefit for the worker is he's getting some experience.

lol.. good luck with that. Sure lets have those on the dole head up our very own space program while we're at it.

Building tunnels and bridges etc is fairly skilled work. You couldn't just let those on the dole jump right in and start building bloody bridges and the like. The cost of training & insuring those people would negate any savings made by using them instead of an already qualified workforce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I would do most jobs . Because of a car accident my choices are limited the only job I would not do is clamping I think you need to be a special kind of sh1 t to do that.

• Advertisement

lol.. good luck with that. Sure lets have those on the dole head up our very own space program while we're at it.

Building tunnels and bridges etc is fairly skilled work. You couldn't just let those on the dole jump right in and start building bloody bridges and the like. The cost of training & insuring those people would negate any savings made by using them instead of an already qualified workforce.

I'm sure you're aware that there are many highly skilled people on the dole. Get the unemployed dole-dependent engineers and architects to design and plan out these public projects. Then get all those construction worker left unemployed after the property bust to help build them. I'm sure the rest will serve well as labourer on the building sites, they need little training. And insuring? Pfft! If they don't like it, they won't get the dole-money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

My Dream Job :

Taosaich
    Dictator
    Porn Fluffer
    Titty Jiggler
    Gyno
    Sniper for US Army
    WW2 Historian
    Coffe Shop Amsterdam
    Coffe Shop California

or if I wanted a job without having to do any work :

Public Sector - Ireland
    Eircom

Jobs I wouldn't do because "I am better than that" :

Bin Man
    McDonalds or any of these types of chains
    Supermarkets
    Moderator on boards
    Anything to do with the public bar jobs located in "Dream Jobs" above
    Toilet Cleaner
    Sewers Cleaner
    Packing Fudge at the Fudge Packing Plant - http://reason.com/assets/mc/psuderman/2010_07/RomneyFudge.jpg

There's more, just can't think of more right now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    My Dream Job :

Taosaich
    Dictator
    Porn Fluffer
    Titty Jiggler
    Gyno
    Sniper for US Army
    WW2 Historian
    Coffe Shop Amsterdam
    Coffe Shop California

or if I wanted a job without having to do any work :

Public Sector - Ireland
    Eircom

Jobs I wouldn't do because "I am better than that" :

Bin Man
    McDonalds or any of these types of chains
    Supermarkets
    Moderator on boards
    Anything to do with the public bar jobs located in "Dream Jobs" above
    Toilet Cleaner
    Sewers Cleaner
    Packing Fudge at the Fudge Packing Plant - http://reason.com/assets/mc/psuderman/2010_07/RomneyFudge.jpg

There's more, just can't think of more right now

would you work as a chicken sexer? http://www.mymajors.com/careers-and-jobs/Chicken-Sexer

I would have believed that during the boom when there was no reason to be on the dole, and most who were on the dole were there by choice.

The recent economic downturn means that a lot of people who are now on the dole are skilled... :confused:

Would that also involve (as I suspect) chucking the poor unfortunate males into grinders? Sorry but dont want to follow the link just in case :(

If so, no (not because I feel its beneath me but because I could not bring myself to be this cruel)

• Advertisement
Advertisement