Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surround sound multiple gadgets?

Options
  • 12-01-2012 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭

I want to get some extra speakers as our telly is not loud enough. Looking at the surround systems but I'm not sure what to look for.

We have a sky hd box and a ps3 - so I want both of these plugged in. Most systems I have seen either come with just RCA connections or one single toslink. Or they are really expensive over-kill systems. Considering I have a ps3 I don't need another dvd player...

Have anyone seen any just basic systems but with multiple inputs? Or am I looking for the wrong thing here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Do you want 5.1 (surround) or would you be happy with just stereo?

For stereo the cheapest idea is to by a pair of active speakers (self powered with a built in amp) that you just plug into the headphone socket of your TV:
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/active-speakers-27962

5.1 is going to be more expensive as the cheapest receiver I can find for that are over £100 and then you would need also but 6 extra speakers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,020 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

dantastic wrote: »
    I want to get some extra speakers as our telly is not loud enough. Looking at the surround systems but I'm not sure what to look for.

We have a sky hd box and a ps3 - so I want both of these plugged in. Most systems I have seen either come with just RCA connections or one single toslink. Or they are really expensive over-kill systems. Considering I have a ps3 I don't need another dvd player...

Have anyone seen any just basic systems but with multiple inputs? Or am I looking for the wrong thing here?

The world is your oyster in this area - limitless spending options. But i'd say that you just want an improved sound in your room to take all devices. The easiest is a surround system from any of the B&M stores - I have a samsung ( DVD palyer included although you dont need it, it is not really adding expense to the setup ), 5 surround speakers and a sub. 1 connection from audio OUTon TV to audio IN on rear of unit ( I'm using optical ) and thats it. Job done. Whatever you watch on TV will be outputted through the speakers on the surround system. €150 should more than cover you.

I'm sure the audio purists will be along to knock this simple setup, but it is more than adequate for me, and the sound is worlds apart from standard tv speakers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭dantastic

dodzy wrote: »
    The world is your oyster in this area - limitless spending options. But i'd say that you just want an improved sound in your room to take all devices. The easiest is a surround system from any of the B&M stores - I have a samsung ( DVD palyer included although you dont need it, it is not really adding expense to the setup ), 5 surround speakers and a sub. 1 connection from audio OUTon TV to audio IN on rear of unit ( I'm using optical ) and thats it. Job done. Whatever you watch on TV will be outputted through the speakers on the surround system. €150 should more than cover you.

I'm sure the audio purists will be along to knock this simple setup, but it is more than adequate for me, and the sound is worlds apart from standard tv speakers ;)

Aaaah - so I can go optical out from the TV to the system! So that way I only need one input! Aaah! :) I didn't get that first, I thought I needed one per device. That makes it a whole lot easier.

Will have to have a shop around so to see what I can find. This isn't really going to be an audio purist setup or anything, if I find a good stereo deal I'll probably pick that up. Not that pushed about surround sound to be honest.

Thanks for that - I needed that bit explained :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,020 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

dantastic wrote: »
    Aaaah - so I can go optical out from the TV to the system! So that way I only need one input! Aaah! :) I didn't get that first, I thought I needed one per device. That makes it a whole lot easier.

Will have to have a shop around so to see what I can find. This isn't really going to be an audio purist setup or anything, if I find a good stereo deal I'll probably pick that up. Not that pushed about surround sound to be honest.

Thanks for that - I needed that bit explained :)

I take it your TV has optical out....you most likely have Audio out RCA ( Red & white ) also. This is also an option as more low tier surround systems will have this as a Audio IN option as opposed to the optical. You'll be fine with a little hunting. Best of luck. ;)

Example here ( no optical but RCA ): http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9384789.htm

Advertisement