Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query re age

Options
  • 12-01-2012 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭

Can anyone on here tell me if there is a law in Ireland which states whether it is illegal to leave a child under a certain age alone at home and if so what is that age limit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Since I got a rather nasty PM from someone who jumped to conclusions: I need this information to have my ducks in a row before I make a phone call to Social Services.

I have NO intention of leaving my own child alone at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

as i recall from previous threads on the subject the answer is no.

lynski wrote: »
    as i recall from previous threads on the subject the answer is no.

So it's perfectly legal to leave kids alone at home??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Firstly - if you received a nasty PM report it and the admins will deal with it.

As for the question there is no minimum age per se. There are child protection laws/regulations which would apply if a child is left in a situation where he/she may be in danger. They are down to interpretation. For example my 8 year olds have been left for 10 minutes at home alone for a run to the shop. That's our call as we feel they are smart enough to be safe at home together. Other 8 years olds may not be as mature. I wouldn't leave them at home for much longer because they are only 8 both another parent may feel it's ok for her child.

As for the situation you're implying - if you feel that Social Services need to be called for whatever reason then call them. You don't need your ducks in a row at all. Any report you make is in confidence and they will listen to your concerns. If there is neglect, child endangerment, or whatever, then they are the best trained to investigate it and make a judgement call not you.

Three kids, the oldest is an 10 yro girl, and then two boys, aged 5 and 2. Parents go out to the pub and leave them alone at home at least twice a week .

The PM I got was from a user thinking I was planning to leave my child alone at home, he has since apologised for jumping to conclusions, so that is all fine.

I never said I was making a judgement call, I merely wanted to know what the law was and IF there was a law. But thank you anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭guppy

What Orion said.

I started leaving my daughter alone while I went out for short trips at age 10. I felt she was ok for the 10 minutes alone.

If you're asking about 5 year olds or something, my response would be "not ok".

As there is no law, it's up to you. I've seen your posts (admittedly mostly in animals and pets), and if you don't like leaving dogs alone, I'm going to go ahead and assume you feel the same about children alone.

Crossed posts. I'd report that. It's neglect and endangering children. Hope it works out ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

EGAR wrote: »
    Three kids, the oldest is an 10 yro girl, and then two boys, aged 5 and 2. Parents go out to the pub and leave them alone at home at least twice a week .

I would report that alright. There's no excuse for parents leaving children that age home alone while they bugger off to the pub - none.

Could you imagine if there was a fire or one of the children managed to get out? It doesn't even bear thinking about....

guppy wrote: »
    I've seen your posts (admittedly mostly in animals and pets), and if you don't like leaving dogs alone, I'm going to go ahead and assume you feel the same about children alone.

I would have no problem leaving my dogs alone at home if I wanted to go to the pub etc, however, I would never leave my son (7yro) unsupervised alone at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

I'm not sure about this, but I think their is a min age for a sibling to be left in care of another, I think its a minimum age of 13, so from my guess the eldest wouldn't be responsible to mind the younger ones.

If anyone can clear this up please do.

Not that I'd ever leave kids alone, I couldn't even leave a 2yr old in another room alone.

I just mentioning that as I seen a case very similar, but from what I remember, the parents insisted the eldest (14) was capable to mind the younger ones, but he used to leave after the parents, so that had to be proved that he was not there either. In the end nothing was done and now the daughter has one child in care and another in hospital from neglect.

I'd report it anyway, I would be worried what else the parents are not doing for the kids, like proper diets etc.

• Advertisement

bfocusd wrote: »
    I'm not sure about this, but I think their is a min age for a sibling to be left in care of another, I think its a minimum age of 13, so from my guess the eldest wouldn't be responsible to mind the younger ones.

If anyone can clear this up please do.
    Consider it cleared up. Like I said earlier the only regulations are about child protection. So lets drop this minimum age thing - it's doesn't currently exist in Ireland. End of discussion on that one.

Let's also drop the "if there was a fire" etc arguments. I won't tolerate any scaremongering or worst-case discussions on this thread. That includes comments like "I would be worried what else the parents are not doing for the kids, like proper diets etc".

The OP has provided very little info so let's not go down the guns-ablazing route. The pub could be next door as far as we know and the 10 year old could be an intelligent and responsible child who would be well capable of calling her parents if there was a problem. The point is that without knowing the full circumstances let's not go mental.

OP: Like I said earlier: if you feel there is a child protection/safety issue then call the duty officer in your local health centre. They can investigate and take it further if needs be.

EGAR wrote: »
    I've seen your posts (admittedly mostly in animals and pets), and if you don't like leaving dogs alone, I'm going to go ahead and assume you feel the same about children alone.

I would have no problem leaving my dogs alone at home if I wanted to go to the pub etc, however, I would never leave my son (7yro) unsupervised alone at home.

I didn't mean any disrespect there, sorry if it came across badly.

I didn't mean any disrespect there, sorry if it came across badly.

No, I just wanted to clarify. Although I love my animals, they are animals not my furry babies *shudder* :D.

I have never reported anyone in my life but I think I will call Social Services, give them the information I have and leave them to sort it or not... Not much more I can do. Thank you for all the replies this has been giving me sleepless nights for over a week.

Orion, the pub is six miles from the house which stands alone with a mile to the nearest neighbour.

That's the best course then. They are best positioned to investigate and they are bound to keep your report confidential also. As long as the kids are ok - that's the priority.

I'm going to close this thread now as the question has been answered.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement