Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jeff Winter

• 12-01-2012 12:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭

From his website and blog
    Star man is once again the bearer of bad tidings. Celtic are top of the league!! Now the football implications are obvious, but what does it mean for the altar boys? Do they get abused in celebration? Would it gave been worse in the anger of defeat? Or would they just get abused anyway?

What's this got to do with football, nothing, but anyone who backs the Catholic Church that is fronted by a dress wearing, Nazi, kiddy fiddling protector deserves all the vitriol it gets. FTP!!

http://jeffwinterentertainmentandmedia.co.uk/world2012/1112062.php

This guy is nuts.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Seems like he was hacked, otherwise he has some demented views.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheBuilder

Yeah seen this on other forums and a lot are saying he's been hacked over stuff he said about Celtic fans before.

In saying that, the guy is a class A twat and shouldn't be given the time of day, I'm embarrassed he associates himself with Rangers.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

From wiki
    Jeff 'Bawbag' Winter (born 18 April 1955)[1] is a bigot and former FA Premier League referee from Middlesbrough in the north-east of England.

May be a hack :p

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I agree about the Catholicism part, and it being one of my primary reasons for disliking Celtic, but otherwise ew, the chap is absolutely insane. Making references like that to the abuse of children should be illegal. It probably is. Disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

CSF wrote: »
    I agree about the Catholicism part, and it being one of my primary reasons for disliking Celtic, but otherwise ew, the chap is absolutely insane. Making references like that to the abuse of children should be illegal. It probably is. Disgusting.

You dislike a football club because many of their fans are a certain religion?

And regarding agreeing with his sentiments about the Catholic church, what about all the good people within the church? And the huge amount of good they have done both over here and abroad? Should the good deeds and dedication to communities of many be tainted by the disgusting deeds of a few? Should those who continue to do good work in the name of the church be also criticised?

I'd imagine Winter's site has been hacked, not even he could be that daft

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Jeff Winter's website has in its hole been hacked.

He's got form for these kinds of posts and has made many similar ones in the past.

I agree about the Catholicism part, and it being one of my primary reasons for disliking Celtic,

My God...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

My God...:rolleyes:

A lot of rational minded non god dude believers have the same belief.

mad innit!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I agree about the Catholicism part, and it being one of my primary reasons for disliking Celtic
    That's ****ing ridiculous in fairness,up there with the worst of opinions I've seen in this forum.
    Unbelievable really.

dreamers75 wrote: »

mad innit!!!

Its called sectarianism

• Advertisement

mad innit!!!

I'm a rational minded non God dude believer myself.

Not liking Celtic because of religion is a very ignorant standpoint.

Back to Jeff Winter, he's been known to call Celtic Park The Glitterdome.

tommyhaas wrote: »
    Its called sectarianism

So people thinking your all eejits for supporting a club based on religion is sectarianism?

is it just us thinking your all mad eejits?

how can non god believers be sectarian? is that even possible?

So people thinking your all eejits for supporting a club based on religion is sectarianism?

is it just us thinking your all mad eejits

I'm a non-believer, as such I've just negated your ridiculous argument above.

is it just us thinking your all mad eejits?

The point you said you agreed with was disliking a club because so many of its fans are a certain religion. That's what is sectarian

Regardless of whether you believe in God or not, you can still be sectarian, as you have just demonstrated. Would you openly admit to disliking a club because they had strong Jewish connections?

And finally, take your head out of stand and stop generalising. People don't support the club purely because of religion. The club did a huge amount of good for Irish immigrants in Scotland and so have a strong support based on this from those of Irish descent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

Its called sectarianism

Not if you dislike them because of how they portray their views, as opposed to their actual views, like that chap showed.

I'm very comfortable with pointing out that a very large percentage of Irish Celtic fans are the reason why I never bothered with the Irish-Celtic bandwagon myself. It's a mixture of the anti-protestant nonsense and the anti-Britain nonsense that put me off.

Is it sectarianism if I believe anyone from either side who refers to religion or politics is a f**kwit? Nope.

Is it sectarianism if you support a club or dislike a club based on religious/politcal views? Almost always.

I don't think anybody would argue that *all* Celtic fans are like that, because that's unfair. But those who are like that are the ones I'm happy to ridicule... and the ones you simply can't ignore when growing up in Ireland.

I'm a non-believer, as such I've just negated your ridiculous argument above.

It's not just religion though. It's politics too. And presuming that's not a massive coincidence in the name you chose for this site, I doubt your political views are all that fuzzy on the matter.

Call us sectarian if you like... but it's not a coincidence that a very large proportion of Celtic fans in Ireland have negative views towards the British... for whatever reason. Denying this fact would be madness.

63slcj.jpg

carlcon wrote: »

It's not just religion though. It's politics too. And presuming that's not a massive coincidence in the name you chose for this site, I doubt your political views are all that fuzzy on the matter.

Call us sectarian if you like... but it's not a coincidence that a very large proportion of Celtic fans in Ireland have negative views towards the British... for whatever reason. Denying this fact would be madness.

That's a completely different argument to the one I was arguing against which are the stupid comments about Catholicism made by CSF and some other fella.

The point you said you agreed with was disliking a club because so many of its fans are a certain religion. That's what is sectarian

Regardless of whether you believe in God or not, you can still be sectarian, as you have just demonstrated. Would you openly admit to disliking a club because they had strong Jewish connections?

And finally, take your head out of stand and stop generalising. People don't support the club purely because of religion. The club did a huge amount of good for Irish immigrants in Scotland and so have a strong support based on this from those of Irish descent

Your last point negates your 1st point.

I detest Glasgow Celtic and everyone of their "Irish" fans. They are a scum that attach themselves to football and somehow think they are righteous.

Irish roots Fcuk off....wait till your team plays them and then see how they view "irish" roots.

Disgusting club living off the fact they are Catholic.

I detest Glasgow Celtic and everyone of their "Irish" fans. They are a scum that attach themselves to football and somehow think they are righteous.

Irish roots Fcuk off....wait till your team plays them and then see how they view "irish" roots.

Fantastic ignorance - congratulations!

• Advertisement

Not if you dislike them because of how they portray their views, as opposed to their actual views, like that chap showed.

I'm very comfortable with pointing out that a very large percentage of Irish Celtic fans are the reason why I never bothered with the Irish-Celtic bandwagon myself. It's a mixture of the anti-protestant nonsense and the anti-Britain nonsense that put me off.

Is it sectarianism if I believe anyone from either side who refers to religion or politics is a f**kwit? Nope.

Is it sectarianism if you support a club or dislike a club based on religious/politcal views? Almost always.

I don't think anybody would argue that *all* Celtic fans are like that, because that's unfair. But those who are like that are the ones I'm happy to ridicule... and the ones you simply can't ignore when growing up in Ireland.
    I agree about the Catholicism part, and it being one of my primary reasons for disliking Celtic

This was the initial statement that he stated he agreed with. To dislike a group of people based on their religion is sectarian. In my initial reply to the post, I did ask the poster to clarify but the lad who agreed, did so with the statement that he disliked Celtic based on the religion of many fans

Regarding this anti-Protestant sentiment, give me an example? Kenny Dalglish was Protestant, as was Jock Stein to name a few. Jock Stein has a stand named after him, and banners made in his honour, which certainly goes against any anti-Protestant agenda you've concocted

Obviously there's a massive republican association with Celtic, and hence an anti-Loyalist one, but being Loyalist does not necessarily mean you are Protestant, similarly being Republican does not automatically mean you are Catholic. George Best and Rory McIllory are well known examples

To dislike a club based on the politics of their fans is fine, to do so on the basis of their religion isn't, which is what the above poster said. I can understand your point about not liking Celtic because of a political aspect, but people to often confuse faith with politics, the latter of which Celtic fans are known to celebrate far more then the former

No it doesn't. People support the club because of their heritage, not their religion

I find it amazing how Irish people, us as a nation that have historically emigrated, can show such disdain for a club that did so much good for Irish immigrants in Scotland. They're a Scottish club, I'm not arguing that, but I think its a great thing that they honour their Irish roots

And as for living off Catholic roots, they celebrate heritage not religion

Way to tar everyone with the same brush. :rolleyes:

63slcj.jpg

They spelt pay wrong :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Marcotti Gabriele Marcotti
    OK, just found Jeff Winter's number on my phone. Sent him a text asking if his site was hacked or if these are really his words.

Marcotti Gabriele Marcotti
    OK, got a reply from Jeff Winter. He says he has contacted his website manager to look into the matter.

So far, he hasnt contacted him back to deny it isnt his views.

Jesus, way over the top from some people. Very simple from myself. I despise the Catholic church for many reasons. Celtic are an openly Catholic institution. I'm naturally going to dislike them. I don't feel religion has any place in football.

That isn't the same thing as discriminating people based on their beliefs or anything like it. I have tonnes of Catholic friends and respect their beliefs even if I myself despise an institution which I feel has destroyed the lives of many and made many others live a lie in fear of how they would be treated if they told the truth.

To dislike a club based on the politics of their fans is fine, to do so on the basis of their religion isn't, which is what the above poster said. I can understand your point about not liking Celtic because of a political aspect, but people to often confuse faith with politics, the latter of which Celtic fans are known to celebrate far more then the former

Then I'm afraid you misunderstand the meaning of the word "Sectarian", in that case. Any bigotry/hatred/etc towards anyone of a different sub-section of a group, be it religious, political, or otherwise can be said to be sectarian. Literally comes from the word "sect".

So your differentiation between politics and religion in this case doesn't really work. And to be perfectly frank, the sentence "To dislike a club based on the politics of their fans is fine" is pretty disgraceful, and an example of the very attitude I was referring to.

Disliking a club because of their fans political views is disliking them because of their beliefs. Doesn't matter if Rangers fans hate Celtic fans because of a different understanding of religion, or if Celtic fans hate Rangers because they disagree on the number of counties Ireland has... it's sectarian either way. And most importantly, wrong.

Jesus, way over the top from some people. Very simple from myself. I despise the Catholic church for many reasons. Celtic are an openly Catholic institution. I'm naturally going to dislike them. I don't feel religion has any place in football.

That isn't the same thing as discriminating people based on their beliefs or anything like it. I have tonnes of Catholic friends and respect their beliefs even if I myself despise an institution which I feel has destroyed the lives of many and made many others live a lie in fear of how they would be treated if they told the truth.
    I despise the Catholic church too and religion in general.
    It's not at all natural to me to dislike a football team on that basis.
    Sure why not just hate the whole of Ireland and its population seeing as it has such strong connections with Catholicism???

Then I'm afraid you misunderstand the meaning of the word "Sectarian", in that case. Any bigotry/hatred/etc towards anyone of a different sub-section of a group, be it religious, political, or otherwise can be said to be sectarian. Literally comes from the word "sect".

So your differentiation between politics and religion in this case doesn't really work. And to be perfectly frank, the sentence "To dislike a club based on the politics of their fans is fine" is pretty disgraceful, and an example of the very attitude I was referring to.

Disliking a club because of their fans political views is disliking them because of their beliefs. Doesn't matter if Rangers fans hate Celtic fans because of a different understanding of religion, or if Celtic fans hate Rangers because they disagree on the number of counties Ireland has... it's sectarian either way. And most importantly, wrong.

I've always associated the term sectarian purely with religion. I have no problem with anyone disliking people because of their political beliefs. I dislike the Nazi's and I dislike Finna Fail because of their politics. That doesn't make me sectarian though

Personally I'm Republican, but I don't dislike people based on their political beliefs, in fact throughout the course of my Cadetship I lived with a friend who is Unionist. While I don't agree with the political belief of many Rangers fans, that's not my reason for hating the club, the reason I hate them is because of their history of discrimination

• Advertisement

cambo2008 wrote: »
    I despise the Catholic church too and religion in general.
    It's not at all natural to me to dislike a football team on that basis.
    Sure why not just hate the whole of Ireland and its population seeing as it has such strong connections with Catholicism???
    Because I don't hate people. Nor do I dislike people based on their religion. In the same way that it is entirely natural for me to like thousands of Catholic people and dislike their Catholic religion, it is entirely natural for me to like thousands of Catholic Celtic fans and dislike their Catholic football club.

No hate involved, no prejudice, just preferences.

Celtic were founded by a Catholic Brother, but are an institution open to all denominations. I'm not quiet sure how you equate this to your hatred for the Catholic church. You say you don't discriminate against people based on their religious beliefs, just that you hate the institution of the Church, yet Celtic are linked to people who hold the beliefs rather then the institution itself. There's a contradiction there

The ignorance you are posting is astounding. Celtic are not an openly Catholic institution. Celtic are completely non-religious and open to all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

openly Catholic? really? think that may be over stepping it. openly irish maybe, since that's what flying the tricolour at the stadium would suggest.
    but there's no papal flag, no Catholic chapel on the ground, like, say what barca have at the camp nou. their most successful team in '67 is well known for having 6 Catholics, 5 Protestants and a Protestant manager all from around Glasgow.
    i think you're making that assumption based on them being 'not rangers'.

Personally I'm Republican, but I don't dislike people based on their political beliefs, in fact throughout the course of my Cadetship I lived with a friend who is Unionist. While I don't agree with the political belief of many Rangers fans, that's not my reason for hating the club, the reason I hate them is because of their history of discrimination

Well that's fine, and I don't think anyone could fairly call you a sectarian you for that. But as we both know, a very large proportion of Irish Celtic fans do dislike Rangers for political reasons. If you interview one, he's not going to say "I hate their politics", but just listening to them will show hatred towards their nationality, how they view Northern Ireland, where they stand on certain issues...etc... and that's sectarianism.

Nobody should suggest it's wrong to disagree with someone with different views. But to openly hate a club because of those views... that's another thing - that's sectarianism. And we all know Celtic/Rangers is one of those rivalries where football can occasionally take a back-seat to religion or politics... and that's why myself and couple of others on here are much happier to avoid them altogether.

Because I don't hate people. Nor do I dislike people based on their religion. In the same way that it is entirely natural for me to like thousands of Catholic people and dislike their Catholic religion, it is entirely natural for me to like thousands of Catholic Celtic fans and dislike their Catholic football club.

No hate involved, no prejudice, just preferences.
    Sorry,kind of getting your views mixed up with dreamers75 there.I thought you also said you hated all their fans.

• Advertisement

There's been no rebuttal from Jeff Winter and its 3 hours since he acknowledged the content of the site. Clearly is his beliefs

Celtic were founded by a Catholic Brother, but are an institution open to all denominations. I'm not quiet sure how you equate this to your hatred for the Catholic church. You say you don't discriminate against people based on their religious beliefs, just that you hate the institution of the Church, yet Celtic are linked to people who hold the beliefs rather then the institution itself. There's a contradiction there
    The ignorance you are posting is astounding. Celtic are not an openly Catholic institution. Celtic are completely non-religious and open to all.
    openly Catholic? really? think that may be over stepping it. openly irish maybe, since that's what flying the tricolour at the stadium would suggest.
    but there's no papal flag, no Catholic chapel on the ground, like, say what barca have at the camp nou. their most successful team in '67 is well known for having 6 Catholics, 5 Protestants and a Protestant manager all from around Glasgow.
    i think you're making that assumption based on them being 'not rangers'.
    I've no doubt that Celtic are open to all, but as for Celtic being non-religious, I'm not buying it. In the end, everything to do with them v Rangers revolves around it.

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Sorry,kind of getting your views mixed up with dreamers75 there.I thought you also said you hated all their fans.
    Ah right.

I've no doubt that Celtic are open to all, but as for Celtic being non-religious, I'm not buying it. In the end, everything to do with them v Rangers revolves around it.

I disagree. Its only Rangers that have discriminated against a religion, not Celtic. Politics is the issue which today primarily separates the two groups of fans. You won't see many Republican Rangers fans or Unionist Celtic fans, you will though see many Protestant Celtic fans and perhaps to a lesser degree Catholic Rangers fans

I disagree. Its only Rangers that have discriminated against a religion, not Celtic. Politics is the issue which today primarily separates the two groups of fans. You won't see many Republican Rangers fans or Unionist Celtic fans, you will though see many Protestant Celtic fans and perhaps to a lesser degree Catholic Rangers fans
    Agreed on Rangers being the worse in terms of discrimination against a religion. I certainly wouldn't consider Celtic to be innocents considering the amount of warnings and infractions both clubs have gotten for sectarian chanting.

Thats as much as I really want to say on this argument, because there isn't anything else I have to say and I'd just be repeating myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

What? I'm not a Celtic fan but thats just a silly comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Hacked my bollox, look at him, he's clearly not all there. Bizarre outburst.

finalbanner.png

You're "not buying" it because you're being ignorant to the facts.

Agreed on Rangers being the worse in terms of discrimination against a religion. I certainly wouldn't consider Celtic to be innocents considering the amount of warnings and infractions both clubs have gotten for sectarian chanting.

Thats as much as I really want to say on this argument, because there isn't anything else I have to say and I'd just be repeating myself.

What infractions have Celtic gotten for sectarian chanting? The answer is 'none' by the way so you really should be retracting that statement.

It's dangerous to have an opinion when your opinion is based on ignorance.

Hacked my bollox, look at him, he's clearly not all there. Bizarre outburst.

finalbanner.png

He's made loads of comments over the years about Celtic and paedophilia, he tweeted a Celtic fan recently telling him to "f&*k off and go f&*k your children", he's had many a personal attack on Neil Lennon as well, the guy is clearly ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Love how this is bout Celtic but the usual suspects still manage to drag Rangers into it.

For peoples information yes Rangers have had a problem in the past when RC's were not signed in big numbers and when they were it was never mentioned. The period covered a time between the Mid 1930's until the late 80's it should be noted out of the two clubs though Rangers were not found on a religious basis.
    What happened at Rangers cannot be changed and it should never be forgotten but there is a massive difference between not forgetting it and the continual garbage spouted from those in the East of the city.

As for Winter the guy is a complete nutcase who plays up to the lowest form of Rangers supporter that site has not been hacked I assure you

Looks like his page has been taken down

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Its called sectarianism

For disliking Catholicism ? :eek:

As for the website, I believe it's been hacked.
    Winter is a staunch Rangers fan but I've never seen him indulge in FTP etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Star man is once again the bearer of bad tidings. Celtic are top of the league!! Now the football implications are obvious, but what does it mean for the altar boys? Do they get abused in celebration? Would it gave been worse in the anger of defeat? Or would they just get abused anyway?

Just reading it again and it truly is something only a sick mind could think up. It's as if he relishes the thoughts of alter boys being abused. Anyway it's taken down now and hopefully people will think better of giving this lunatic any further work.

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Its called sectarianism

For disliking Catholicism ? :eek:

As for the website, I believe it's been hacked.
    Winter is a staunch Rangers fan but I've never seen him indulge in FTP etc.
    Staunch my arse he aligned himself to us to make money on the after dinner circuit he even made what could be construed as racist comments about our own player not the sort of fan we need thankyou

• Advertisement
Advertisement