Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you transfer files to Windows 7 phone?

Options
  • 12-01-2012 12:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

Got an Omnia 7 today. Have Zune, but it will not let me transfer/sync video files to my phone, only the odd one, just won't detect the rest. It doesn't come up as a removable drive in windows, so how the **** are you supposed to transfer files to it? Let alone movies, what if I wanted to transfer, say, pdfs etc?

Beginning to feel like I made a major mistake getting a Win7 phone over Android. I cannot believe the phone can't even be detected as a removable drive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Music and video has to be added to your Windows libraries first, then it will be seen by Zune and you can drag & drop whatever you like to the phone icon. Anything not in a native video format gets converted on the fly. Zune is top class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Music and video has to be added to your Windows libraries first, then it will be seen by Zune and you can drag & drop whatever you like to the phone icon. Anything not in a native video format gets converted on the fly. Zune is top class.

How do I do that? As in, some of the formats, Windows Media Player doesn't recognise. It's just such a pain as I'm coming from an Android where I could just drag and drop whatever and it worked grand, through third party player.

Just to clarify, I've about 10 videos in my default folder, it automatically picks up and syncs one regular avi file, but the other mkvs etc, and some large avis, it won't see, and I can't drop or drag anything to the phone icon, a circle with a line through it appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Just tried it there with an MKV and Zune doesn't see it (not supported in Zune player). All my AVIs and MP4s are seen fine.

Unfortunately it looks as if you'll have to at the least remux your MKVs into MP4 (if the audio is AAC), or use something like MediaEspresso (paid) or Handbrake (free) to convert to an MP4 if you want to add it to Zune.

It's not possible to install custom video players for WP7, you'd have to stick with Android or stream content to your WP7 using something like TVersity and MyMedia WP7(which is actually a pretty good way of getting your media anywhere and at any time without having to preload onto your phone).

Thanks for that, it does recognise anything converted to mp4, as I discovered, so that aspect of it is fine, though still a little irritating considering I can natively play mkv on my android tablet/phone. Ditto for the likes of ebooks/pdf - it just irritates me so much that I can't just transfer PDFS to my phone, like you would with an Android, seriously so. Thanks though for the info, do appreciate it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement