Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where have you surfed?

Options
  • 12-01-2012 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

Just wondering where in the world have you surfed?

A nice chronological report of your surfing adventures !! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Helpyouspeak

Apart from the west or north-west coast here, I have only surfed in Iceland as only started surfing recently.There are loads of places I'd like to go to though!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Mayo, Clare, donegal and Sligo :P Needless to say an overseas jaunt is on the cards for a while now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,498 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Ireland, j bay in south Africa, few places in Hawaii. Portugal

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

Ireland, Australia, Morocco and Portugal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Cork, Kerry, Clare, Galway, Sligo, Donegal and Morocco. Morocco wasn't as fun as it might sound, unbelievable amounts of garbage in the water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

N,S,E,W Ireland, W and SW France, N Spain, SW Spain, SW Portugal, Lanz and Fuerto.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭BGOllie

india, israel would be my top experiences, not for the waves themselves but for the privilege of finding myself there and then and surfing places few have.

aside from that ... Australia, California, France, Canaries, England and Ireland of course/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

To be honest, bar the fickleness of the surf there's no place like home. If i go somewhere again it would be a bali type scenario for at least a month

Ireland

Strandhill
    Coney Island
    Dunmoran
    Northern Sligo Reefs
    The Peak
    Rossnowlagh
    Rosses Point
    Mullaghmore
    Streedagh
    Tullan Strand
    Lahinch
    Portrush

Australia
    Manly
    Surfers Paradise
    Kirra

USA (All sandiego)
    Grandview
    Oceanside
    D Street
    Cardiff Reefs
    Pipes
    Tamarack
    Swamis
    Tressels

Hawaii
    Waikiki
    Rocky Point (North Shore!)

Jamaica
    Boston Bay

Feurtoventura

France
    Anglet
    Biarritz

Spain

San Sebastien

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭keryl

Mayo, Sligo, Phuket, Margaret River (W.A), Victoria.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Ireland
    Wales
    Denmark
    France(Biarritz)
    Portugal(Algarve)
    Morrocco
    Peru(3 trips)
    Maldives(2 trips)

• Advertisement

demark? please tell us more!

promethius wrote: »
    demark? please tell us more!
    Well, it's the only place I ever surfed with marigold rubber gloves on :D

Place was called Skagen, needed to jump off the harbour to get out back

Did you ever get stuck on the island...

marigolds? are you ritchie fitzgerald :D

never got stuck on coney, am from that area and familiar with the tides, plenty have though, many's a car has been written off on that spin. it comes in real quick.

Break was called Loekken

surfer_loekken1_9l.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd74quFbT4A

Also had a drink spiked in one of the nightclubs, guess I was lucky to get back to the hotel with my bum intacted:eek:

One hell of a weird night

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

I'm only surfing 18 months so have only gotten to Tramore, Lahinch and Inchydoney.

Oh and Ericeira in Portugal. Got my ass kicked for a week out there but it was huge fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

Kinda in chronological order;

Ireland - too many spots to list (for about 18 - 20 years)
    France (for about a month, three different locations)
    Tenerife (for two weeks)
    Australia (for a year, far to many spots to list to list / remember)
    New Zealand (for two months - only 4 spots)
    Bali (for two weeks)
    Fiji (surfed only 2 hrs!) for 1 day (due to coup)
    US four times (east and west coast, too many spots to list / remember)
    Morocco (6 times - 4 different spots)
    Hawaii twice (south, east, west and north shores - lots of breaks)
    Barbados (for two weeks south and east coasts)
    Fuerteventura (for two weeks - north shore)
    Portugal (4 visits - many spots)

Thank that is it . . .

Kinda in chronological order;

Ireland - too many spots to list (for about 18 - 20 years)
    France (for about a month, three different locations)
    Tenerife (for two weeks)
    Australia (for a year, far to many spots to list to list / remember)
    New Zealand (for two months - only 4 spots)
    Bali (for two weeks)
    Fiji (surfed only 2 hrs!) for 1 day (due to coup)
    US four times (east and west coast, too many spots to list / remember)
    Morocco (6 times - 4 different spots)
    Hawaii twice (south, east, west and north shores - lots of breaks)
    Barbados (for two weeks south and east coasts)
    Fuerteventura (for two weeks - north shore)
    Portugal (4 visits - many spots)

Thank that is it . . .
    Wow. That's impressive! Would you have a favourite trip that stands out in your mind?

Ireland, no question

But overseas, Hawaii without a doubt, such a range of waves, such a range of surfing styles, the aloha spirit that is everywhere, the weather, the history. I delayed going there for so long as I thought it would be really cheesy, but no way. It is touristy, but just seems appropriate and well managed, for the want of a better word. All the main development is fairly well restricted (in Oahu anyways) to Waikiki, Honolulu and Pearl Harbour, the majority of the rest of the island is just perfect, especially the North Shore and Halewia.

Will be back for sure.

Very few places I would not bother going back to, maybe Bali and Tenerife

Sounds great

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭OuterBombie

Tough to resist this thread.

I'd second OldGuysRule opinion of Hawaii, legend spot.

Here's my list, starting with close to home...

• Mainly North Clare at the mo
    • Ireland (Cork, Kerry, Clare, Galway, Mayo, Sligo, Donegal), since 1994.
    • France (Brittany, Gironde, Lacanau, Hosseger, Biarritz/Anglet, Cote de Basque), maybe 6 or so trips from 2 weeks to a month each time.
    • Spain (San Seb, Mundaka, Barcelona!), couple of trips, more drinking than surfing done!
    • Morocco (usual spots), month trip in 1999.
    • Canaries:
    • Tenerife (South and North), 4 trips, two of them were a month long.
    • Lanza (all over), 3 trips.
    • Las Palmas, quick trip via ferry.
    • South Africa (lots of spots from Durban to Cape Town (including up to Elands bay), 8 months.
    • Maldives (regular spots), three week boat trip, such easy waves to surf.
    • California (Norcal, San Diego), 6 months, favorites were Santa Cruz in the north and Blacks beach in the south.
    • Mexico (Northern Baja), token week trip, bandit country!
    • Hawaii (Kauai and Maui), awesome.
    • New Zealand (North/South Island), month trip. Highlights, Hot water beach in the North Island and Kaikora in the south)

Get me out from behind this desk and on the road to any of those locations right now and I'd be stoked :D

• Advertisement

Get me out from behind this desk and on the road to any of those locations right now and I'd be stoked :D
    Question is which one would ya go back to :D

Ireland, no question

But overseas, Hawaii without a doubt, such a range of waves, such a range of surfing styles, the aloha spirit that is everywhere, the weather, the history. I delayed going there for so long as I thought it would be really cheesy, but no way. It is touristy, but just seems appropriate and well managed, for the want of a better word. All the main development is fairly well restricted (in Oahu anyways) to Waikiki, Honolulu and Pearl Harbour, the majority of the rest of the island is just perfect, especially the North Shore and Halewia.

Will be back for sure.

Very few places I would not bother going back to, maybe Bali and Tenerife
    Good to hear Ireland tops the lot :)

What didn't you like about Bali, too crowded?

Bali was fine, but I was on a holiday with others on way to Aus, so only surfed Kuta and Nusa Dua (?). Just had no love for the place, attitude in the water was crap (especially Australians) and questionnable water quality at times. Would have loved to explore more breaks but it was not the time. If I was to travel that far again, it would be somewhere better. Same with Tenerife, if I was going back to those islands, it would be Fuerte

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭OuterBombie

rodento wrote: »
    Question is which one would ya go back to :D

I'd be happy to head back to where I surfed last Sunday ;)

On their day most decent spots in the country here are as good as anywhere in the World (that I've surfed) so Ireland too would top the list for me.

However, nearly everywhere else is more consistent than here so more quality waves more of the time. To get the same number of surfs here you'd need to be all over the coast, with a van and pwc, all the time.

Winter in SA for example, it was nearly never flat, always waves, always offshore in the mornings. The only problem was the feckin sharks!

While we suffer from no surf blues in the summer here, there are waves all up and down the SW coast in France, same deal, always waves, always offshore in the mornings! The only problem is the feckin boobies!

Its the same ocean for gods sake, they just have the advantage of the greater fetch while we sit in the low pressure.

Ah well.

Badly need a decent surf trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

Cork, Kerry and Cali :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

I was in indonesia for two months. Only spent a week in Bali. Didnt like it. The stink the trafic the people the drunken aussies. I'd recommend Lombok and Sumbawa the next two island to the east. Lombok is class. an island the same size as bali with genuine friendly people from all over the world and a surf break every 1/4 mile for all levels and some cool scenery up the volcano in the centre of the island. The reefs in the inner bays of grupuk are flat like concrete and are perfect for beginners.

Hi Ronnie

You stayed in Indo for 2 months, how much did it cost roughly and were there any issues with boards etc

keryl wrote: »
    Hi Ronnie

You stayed in Indo for 2 months, how much did it cost roughly and were there any issues with boards etc

roughly 1000 for flights and 1000 spending money. That was for b&b's, lunch and dinner, bike hire, buses, public ferry's, pay the fisherman for a lift out back. that was about it nothing fancy. charter boats and 5 star accommodation didn't come into it;). Bought a nice board out there for about 300 euro. probably cost about 450 for the same board here. You can get lots of nice aussie boards like webber for cheap. probably about 400 euro or so. Cant remember how much the shots and visa were 100 euro or so. A tip on bringing the board back or over is collect all your small 500ml water bottels and stuff them into your board bag around the rails of the board with all you clothes and towels and salvage some bubble wrap. the baggage handlers dont give a **** they literally throw your board onto the plane and thers three over and three back. It was just a surf trip so if you want to do any touristy stuff like boat trips or that bring an extra couple of hundred. You can also fly to darwin in oz for about 150 euro which i wish i had of known about.....:pac:. fire away with any other questions.

Always use bubble wrap & pipe insulation to cover the rails of my boards when I travel and have some sun cure in hand just in case:D

• Advertisement

rodento wrote: »
    Always use bubble wrap & pipe insulation to cover the rails of my boards when I travel and have some sun cure in hand just in case:D

ggood idea cheaper than water bottles for headin over

Advertisement