Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a car in Oz - suggestions please

Options
  • 12-01-2012 3:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,

I'm looking at buying a motor in Sydney. I will be mostly driving around the city and occasionally spinning up the coast, Blue mountains, Hunter Valley etc. I also wouldn't mind something with a bit of storage space.

I am hoping to get something under $5k. Have you guys an suggestions?.

I was looking at:

95 - 98 Toyota Celica 2.2
    99 - 01 VW Golf 1.6 or 2L
    96 - 99 Land Rover Freelander
    96 - 99 Jeep Cherokee (Though have been told to stay well away from these)

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Jeep and LR are prone to problems at that age and would be expensive for parts etc.
    I always drove Golfs back home and love them but wouldn't touch them here as way overpriced to buy and fix.
    Toyota is safe choice but have you thought about something like a Camry Stationwagon as opposed to Celica? If you are looking for storage it's got plenty, plus those things run forever, retain their value really well and every mechanic/garage in Oz knows them inside out, so repairs/maintenance would be straightforward...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Thanks Jack,

Always liked Golfs myself though a 00 is fetching around 5k with 250k on the clock. I think a Toyota is the way to go, just thought a Celica would be a little more of a comfortable drive for long distances.

Will have a look at a Camry, hadn't cross my mind. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

Feelgood wrote: »
    Thanks Jack,

Always liked Golfs myself though a 00 is fetching around 5k with 250k on the clock. I think a Toyota is the way to go, just thought a Celica would be a little more of a comfortable drive for long distances.

Will have a look at a Camry, hadn't cross my mind. Cheers!

Camry would be alot more comfortable than a celica. If you do go with a camry my advice would be to got with the 2.2L engine. The 3L is harder to work on (thus more expensive) and more troublesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

If you are going for something under $5k Commodore, Falcon or Camry are all local made cars. They are cheaper and more popular plus there is always off the shelf parts available and no matter where you breakdown the local mechanic will know them.

Also consider spending a bit more and going for a Prado or even a 4WD Rav4 dead handy for going to the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

Feelgood wrote: »
    Hi lads,

I'm looking at buying a motor in Sydney. I will be mostly driving around the city and occasionally spinning up the coast, Blue mountains, Hunter Valley etc. I also wouldn't mind something with a bit of storage space.

I am hoping to get something under $5k. Have you guys an suggestions?.

I was looking at:

95 - 98 Toyota Celica 2.2
    99 - 01 VW Golf 1.6 or 2L
    96 - 99 Land Rover Freelander
    96 - 99 Jeep Cherokee (Though have been told to stay well away from these)

Cheers!

I spotted this while looking at motor prices down there. Get it checked by a mechanic and your sailing.

http://sydney.gumtree.com.au/c-Cars-Vehicles-Motorbikes-Parts-cars-1988-VT-CALAIS-SUPERCHARGED-VERY-CERY-CHEAP-not-vl-turbo-W0QQAdIdZ344766471

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

why not just go for a holden commodore or something. do they make them in manual?

best bet is to buy something you can source parts for cheap if needed. holden is a winner imo

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

Avoid the Freelander like the plague, its a soft roader and unreliable, the head gaskets prone to exploding. Not heard great things about Jeep as a manufacturer in general either.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

Maybe something like this ,its an estate so loads of space and an auto so handy drivin around the city

http://www.drive.com.au/used-cars/holden/commodore/sydney/detail.aspx?id=32024550&lid=32024550&pg=1&pp=1&d=0#tab-specifications

• Registered Users Posts: 3 chamois

go for a small engine petrol toyota

or a small engined petrol honda

both on a whole should give you absolutely no mechanical problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Whats your Budget?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

I'm just currently looking to sell my 1997 Ford Falcon Futura station wagon. 259,000 km, recently passed road worthy in queensland, great condition.

These cars have huge storage space, 2 people can comfortably sleep in the back. I've got tents, mattress, sleeping bags, fishing rods and everything else you need to travel the country. Only problem is I'm in Perth. Anyway, these are good cars to get for australia cos they're built here so parts are cheap and easy to find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭iwsf

We went arround OZ in 2009 in a Landrover defender TDI ( 1998) and had no troubles at all. They don't like the Landrover down under , they say they cannot cope with the heat. We drove in +50 celcius in WA with no issues.
    And the average fuel consumption was 9L / 100 kms which is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Whatever you buy, make sure the road worthiness cert is valid (not more than 2 months old)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

Ford Falcon and Holden Commodore wagons are a dime a dozen and parts can be gotten cheaply and easily if needed. A lot have lpg conversions too which means a way cheaper fuel bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

what he said, I'm driving a 94 commo, no dramas at all, bit thirsty, but she's grand on the open road

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Thanks for all the input lads.

Ended up getting a 97 Mazda 323F with 175km on the clock for 2k!. 12 Months
    rego so it passed road worthiness recently. All good.

The body is in terrible shape, drives grand though. Another 18 months driving out of it anyways I reckon.

Advertisement