Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL drops out when phone rings

Options
  • 12-01-2012 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

The DSL connection in my parents house drops out whenever the phone rings. There is a PC connected to the router by ethernet and a wifi connection from two laptops. When the phone rings (two cordless phones) everything disconnects. Could this be a matter of getting a new filter for the line or could it be a problem with the demarc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Ravenid

Most likely its filters.

Make sure you have a filter on every phone enabled device you have. (All phones, faxes, answering machines and if you have it Sky Box.

If you have filters on everything, unplug everything from your phone sockets except the router and 1 phone and filter. Test all your devices on 1 filter. If it doesn't stay up, try another filter, if that doesn't work try another phone. If that doesnt work its your router, call your ISP and get a replacement router.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Ravenid wrote: »
    Most likely its filters.

Make sure you have a filter on every phone enabled device you have. (All phones, faxes, answering machines and if you have it Sky Box.

If you have filters on everything, unplug everything from your phone sockets except the router and 1 phone and filter. Test all your devices on 1 filter. If it doesn't stay up, try another filter, if that doesn't work try another phone. If that doesnt work its your router, call your ISP and get a replacement router.

Cheers, theres only 1 point in the house abd the phone has only 1 base unit with 2 wireless handsets. Nothing else is connected to the point other than the base unit and the router. Ill get a new filter and give it a bash, i wasnt sure if they could fail or not.
    Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Also be sure the modem is plugged into the main socket, not an extension throughout the house

Iv hard reset the router, changed the filter (there is only one jack in the house) and it still drops out when the phone rings as in the internet light goes off completely but the DSL light stays solid. ATM fails when i run the diagnostic is this normal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Hijpo wrote: »
    Iv hard reset the router, changed the filter (there is only one jack in the house) and it still drops out when the phone rings as in the internet light goes off completely but the DSL light stays solid. ATM fails when i run the diagnostic is this normal?

Just to sure, have you tried reversing the connections to the phone and modem, i.e phone to the modem connection on the filter and vice versa. ?

• Advertisement

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Hijpo wrote: »

Just to sure, have you tried reversing the connections to the phone and modem, i.e phone to the modem connection on the filter and vice versa. ?

Yep, no internet connection at all when i did that. It was actually accidental, i got a phone call from my dad at 9 freakin out because he couldnt access the skyplayer for the barcelona game hahah

Seems its a problem on there end, thought so.

Advertisement