Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

One night to kill on my own in London

• 12-01-2012 12:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm going to be in London on my own for a night later in the month, does anyone have any suggestions for places to go that would be quiet enough on a Friday night, where I could get some food and a pint and read my book in peace? Or if you had one night to spend in London, what would you do with it? Any suggestions of things to do, places to check out or walk around are welcome, especially photogenic places as I'm there for a photography course. I'll be staying on the east side of the city so would rather not be hoofing it all the way to Camden or suchlike. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

sorry, off topic, but I didn't see the "by" in the subject line and got a serious shock!

Hope you enjoy London - I wish I had actual advice to add!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

:eek::eek::eek: I totally read the title wrong, I though it said "One night to kill myself in London".................

Ive been to london but sadly I missed out on the nightlife, I was there with my ex and her daughter so there was no partying, I would love to go back though and experience the clubs and bars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

steve_r wrote: »
    sorry, off topic, but I didn't see the "by" in the subject line and got a serious shock!

Hope you enjoy London - I wish I had actual advice to add!
    lol! I've changed it to something hopefully less shocking now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Brick Lane for the curry houses? Would be lively but not if you actually want a quiet time alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Personally I’d go see a show, but that’s just me :) Discount tickets are sold on the day of performances at the TKTS ticket booth in Leicester square.

Failing that I think some museums are open late on Fridays… next time I’m there I want to check out the Tate modern :) It’s meant to be free in too if money is an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,450 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

rain on wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I'm going to be in London on my own for a night later in the month, does anyone have any suggestions for places to go that would be quiet enough on a Friday night, where I could get some food and a pint and read my book in peace? Or if you had one night to spend in London, what would you do with it? Any suggestions of things to do, places to check out or walk around are welcome, especially photogenic places as I'm there for a photography course. I'll be staying on the east side of the city so would rather not be hoofing it all the way to Camden or suchlike. Thanks!

Where do you mean by the east side of the city?

Would you prefer to walk there and back or would you prefer cab, bus or tube?

Are you looking for pub food and a quiet atmosphere or something more?

YOu answer these questions and I'll give you a few suggestions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

woodchuck wrote: »
    Failing that I think some museums are open late on Fridays… next time I’m there I want to check out the Tate modern :) It’s meant to be free in too if money is an issue.

Oo that's a good suggestion, I didn't know about the Friday late opening, thanks!
    Marcusm wrote: »
    Where do you mean by the east side of the city?
    Would you prefer to walk there and back or would you prefer cab, bus or tube?

Are you looking for pub food and a quiet atmosphere or something more?

YOu answer these questions and I'll give you a few suggestions.

The hotel is between Shoreditch and Hackney as far as I know. Bethnal Green is the nearest tube station, so I'd go anywhere that's accessible along the Central line or on foot.
    Pub food-ish and a quiet atmosphere would be more what I'm looking for alright. Living in Galway I'm used to having a good selection of places where you can go and just have a few drinks, or have dinner as well, 'gastropub' type places I guess, so somewhere like that would be great. Thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,450 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Shoreditch believes itself to be achingly trendy (partly true) and I would not recommend anywhere there for a quiet drink. However, very close to you is The Blind Beggar, a good example of a traditional English pub which has been updated and gets a more mixed clientele. It's famous for 2 reasons - the Krays killed one of their rivals there in front of a crowd of witnesses and it was the item of the founding of the Salvation Army.

If you fancy a curry, you're very close to Brick Lane and/or Spitalfields for other types of food.

Also I wouldn't bother getting on the tube to find something to photograph, you're on the edge of "the City" (ie the financial district) which not only has soaring towers to be photographed from lts of curios angles but also a huge collection of churches (hundreds, although many don't recognise this) and other old buildings - it was the effective centre of London for ages.

Maybe also have a squizz around Shoreditch High Street station where a pop up shopping centre has been built out of disused containers.

If you only have one day/evening, don't waste it travelling underground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

I'd recommend the Jack the Ripper tour around Whitechapel.

I feared it'd be naff but actually really enjoyed it.

Advertisement