Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bodkin roundabout roadworks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Yip, thats nuts alright.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

We talking about the roundabout being daft on the shower of **** who passed it?

Personally I think of all the roundabouts in Galway I've seen confused or reckless driving and near misses this is the worst. I can just imagine what poor tourists think when encountering that monstrosity. Also, it is lame you can't turn right out of Woodies/Currys. After years of moaning at least they are spending the time and money to actually do something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

What's daft is the roundabout that's there currently. Get rid of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

It's quite noticeable that the traffic flows easier when the traffic lights there fail. Even if that means taking your life into your hands. The traffic lights there are little help. Those of you familiar with Dublin may have come across the famous Walkinstown roundabout, six roads converge on it, some with multiple lanes. But it works because the council resisted the urge to put in traffic lights.

Something has to be done anyway and it seems Briarhill was a success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

There's more to roundabouts and signals than traffic flows.

I'm curious about the other roundabout that Catherine Connolly reportedly got vexed about.

http://www.galwaynews.ie/23636-plans-galway-shopping-centre-roundabout-passed

Which one is it, and what's her problem with it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    There's more to roundabouts and signals than traffic flows.

I'm curious about the other roundabout that Catherine Connolly reportedly got vexed about.

http://www.galwaynews.ie/23636-plans-galway-shopping-centre-roundabout-passed

Which one is it, and what's her problem with it?

Probably the one at the back of the Hospital.
    She has mentioned it before.
    It needs to change to four entrances so the hospital exit needs to move.
    One proposal was to go through some park land and join the seamus quirke road and she opposes this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 CityofDawros

I fear for my life every time I take the inside lane going up to the Joyce roundabout. I can't count the amount of times someone has almost crashed into me there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Coming from westside going into tescos there you have no option but to cut directly across two lanes of traffic. I usually lean on the horn just in case oncoming traffic doesn't see my indicator. Heading into town from westside there is almost as lethal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

No you don't unless you are a complete bloody idiot. :(

You are in the right hand lane when you reach the roundabout from the bridge. You stay right on roundabout and you have a choice of 3 lanes to nip into...the leftmost of which is for Tesco.

I fear for my life every time I take the inside lane going up to the Joyce roundabout. I can't count the amount of times someone has almost crashed into me there

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Coming from westside going into tescos there you have no option but to cut directly across two lanes of traffic. I usually lean on the horn just in case oncoming traffic doesn't see my indicator. Heading into town from westside there is almost as lethal.

And that's what it can feel like when travelling in a car...

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    No you don't unless you are a complete bloody idiot. :(

You are in the right hand lane when you reach the roundabout from the bridge. You stay right on roundabout and you have a choice of 3 lanes to nip into...the leftmost of which is for Tesco.
    If you stay in the right lane you still have to cut across two lanes. The correct route is through the middle lane and straight to the lights beside the tesco turnoff, which only one lane goes into. Unless you fancy riding around the roundabout until you get a break in the traffic or just bulling through.

You cut across nothing, look at the paint on the road willya :(

You cut across nothing, look at the paint on the road willya :(
    The same paint where a lane gets magicked out of nowhere on the curry's side and another starts up out of the blue near the tescos side?

Whatever the case it cannot be claimed that its a well designed roundabout.

The Bodkin Roundabout is an old favourite here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75186837

Some think the sprouting lane is a top idea.

The same paint where a lane gets magicked out of nowhere on the curry's side and another starts up out of the blue near the tescos side?

Whatever the case it cannot be claimed that its a well designed roundabout.

It isn't anyway......and you said you came from Westside not Currys. :(
    Iwannahurl wrote: »
    The Bodkin Roundabout is an old favourite here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75186837

Some think the sprouting lane is a top idea.

More think a Galway Bypass is a top idea ....then we need not drive thru that tip on the Headford Road :(

It isn't anyway......and you said you came from Westside not Currys. :(
    So? Its a shitty roundabout. I have no problems whatsoever with any other roundabout in the city or indeed any other I've come across in the country, and I'm far from alone in that. So mind your idiot comments like a good lad.

Coming from westside going into tescos there you have no option but to cut directly across two lanes of traffic.l.

Your words!!!!

Googles Picture!!

A completely sh1te roundabout....but there are coping strategies. :)

A completely sh1te roundabout
    Glad you admit it.

I loathe the thing...but I am careful about not crossing white lines....however inappropriately they are seemingly drawn. That is why I pay €270 a year Full Comp. :)

That is why I pay €270 a year Full Comp. :)
    Only €30 less than me... ;) I wouldn't use it much regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

Hang on, when coming over the bridge towards Bodkin roundabout, I use the right lane on entering roundabout, keep right at next set of lights approaching Sean mulvoy exit, then as you say, cross two lanes to access the left lane so I can nip in to Tescos.

It feels wrong but I can't see any other way unless....
    You access roundabout (from bridge) on middle lane. You proceed to left lane at the bottom of Sean Mulvoy exit and then cross over to left lane for Tesco exit. Now if you did that while someone did what I described in first paragraph above, there would be a collision. So my understanding is that those in the left lane at the bottom of Sean Mulvoy can only go up that way & not to Tescos.

Now please tell me I've been using that roundabout correctly because I pass through it all the time, never look back & may have killed dozens of people without realizing, if not :)

That nearly sounded right Bobby, wanna rephrase?? :D

Now please tell me I've been using that roundabout correctly because I pass through it all the time, never look back & may have killed dozens of people without realizing, if not :)
    No I think you and sb have it right, although he's got an unmannerly way of putting it.

C'mon Doc, lose your no claims bonus!?? Feck That. :D Follow the white lines!

C'mon Doc, lose your no claims bonus!?? Feck That. :D Follow the white lines!
    Ah now sb, we both know the only reason I pay a little more insurance than you is because I drive a bigger, faster car. :D

Ah now sb, we both know the only reason I pay a little more insurance than you is because I drive a bigger, faster car. :D

318i , if you are in the left lane you will find me just to you right and just a tad ahead. :p

Here is a schematic. The X marks a decision point.

188091.jpg

318i , if you are in the left lane you will find me to your just right and just a tad ahead. Here is a schematic. The X marks a decision point.
    Okay, but how does that make your car any bigger or faster. :p

You cannot get to Tesco thru me ...can you ????

You cannot get to Tesco thru me ...can you ????
    Still not seeing the relevance to the car size e-peen competition.

• Advertisement

Stay Visible Doc...and if you are able to do that much then stay a netch ahead of the car entering the roundabout from the Westside direction in the middle lane and thinking they will get to Tesco by crossing a white line somewhere.

Generally they don't. :) Micras are the worst! :(

Advertisement