Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a breakdown of gun license by category

Options
  • 12-01-2012 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭

Lads can you point me to where I can get a list of the number of firearm licenses by category.

I.E. how many licenses were issued for shotguns, for rifles and for pistols??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

might not he best but it may help you. :)
    http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/ireland

Number of Registered Firearms
    The number of registered guns in Ireland is reported to be 233,1201
    Compare
    Rate of Registered Firearms per 100 Population
    The rate of registered firearms per 100 people in Ireland is 5.166
    Compare
    Number of Privately Owned Rifles
    In Ireland, the number of rifles in civilian possession is reported to be 54,0007
    Compare
    Number of Privately Owned Shotguns
    In Ireland, the number of shotguns in civilian possession is reported to be 177,0007
    Compare
    Number of Privately Owned Handguns
    There are reportedly 1,8421 8 handguns in civilian possession in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Those figures are several years out of date at this point juice.
    Clive, if you take a peek at the PQ thread here, you'll see those numbers were asked for very recently but so far, no response. Take a read back through that thread, you'll find the most recent numbers available, eg 599 non-restricted handguns and 389 restricted handguns as of last November.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Sparks wrote: »
    Those figures are several years out of date at this point juice.
    Clive, if you take a peek at the PQ thread here, you'll see those numbers were asked for very recently but so far, no response. Take a read back through that thread, you'll find the most recent numbers available, eg 599 non-restricted handguns and 389 restricted handguns as of last November.

Next November will tell a lot; as most of us with restricted firearms are due to renew around that period.
    3 years rolled around mighty fast......

Next November will tell a lot; as most of us with restricted firearms are due to renew around that period.
    3 years rolled around mighty fast......
    I suspect we won't need to wait that long. We can't discuss the case as it's ongoing (second day in the High Court today), but we can repost the relevant portion of the Minister's initial briefing from when he took office:

153650.png

Sparks wrote: »
    those numbers were asked for very recently but so far, no response.
    Response came in this morning Clive, but it looks like there was a page missed from the scan and that page had the exact figures you were looking for - I've asked about it and I'll post it up as soon as it comes in...

edit: the missing page came in...

• Advertisement

No, it was correspondance sent from the Minister to Deputy Sean Kenny. You can usually cite correspondance like that in academic projects as it's in the public domain (via the FOI Act). Here's the original PDF file in case you need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Thanks Sparks for the link

I deleted the reply before I had read you had replied to my original post where I was looking for a reference to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

Clive's feel free to tell me start my own thread if you feel I'm hijacking this thread.

But going over the correspondence Sparks put up in relation to parliamentary questions two things struck me.

From my calculations:
    Restricted licences per 10,000 in 2011 are higher then restricted licences per 10,000 people from August 2009 to December 2010.
    But licences refused per 10,000 people in 2011 was a nice bit higher then per 10,000 from August 2009 to December 2010.

Am I the only one that noticed this or have others? I wonder why the figure has gone up in ratios between the two time periods with regards to refusals: is it the type of firearm, reason for acquiring or the person was not suitable and also does the amount of licences granted figure include those who won an appeal to over turn the refusal for a licence.

It's a strange one!

Also the section where it says licences approved but awaiting payment seems like a Hugh figure, especially for the year 2011 jan to oct of last year that is. Sure don't you only have 30 days to pay, at the time the statistics were compiled 5000 plus hardly were issued in or around that period? As far as I remember with my licence you've only X amount of time to pay so is that figure for previous 30 days awaiting payment or for all the calendar year 2011

Advertisement