Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

soccer in melbourne

Options
  • 12-01-2012 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

looking to get playing a bit...anyone up for it? maybe enter in an indoor league?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Did this ever go ahead or does anyone wana start one up?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

zweton wrote: »
    Did this ever go ahead or does anyone wana start one up?

Soccer? In Melbourne?? We only play footie maaaiiiiite!

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

Play every Thursday just off Chapel Street (Outdoor hockey pitch)

If you are any use I can bring ya along.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭darcy07

anyone know if this 5 a side went ahead im travelling on my own and was just wondering any 5 a side or 11 teams need any players havent played in a few years but played for a pub side if any needs any players mail me im staying at a hostel in st kilda i need to network

• Registered Users Posts: 38 rayfoley2

I will be in melbourne in July. Played a bit of astro With the lads back home. Would love to try get into it in oz aswel. keep me updated?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Darcy, I play for a 11 a side team in st kilda, St Kilda Celts. We have trainings Mondays and Wednesdays and matches on Saturdays. There's a first team and reserve team. I haven't played since school (7 or 8 years) so I'm just on the reserves but the quality is pretty good (we're top of the league atm, halfway through the season). Good craic with the team too, most of us would head for pints on Saturdays after the games.

Membership is $400 for the year which is pricey but you get full training gear, shorts, socks, training tshirt, matchday tshirt, sports bag etc. and that pays for the refs for the season. I don't think there's a half years membership option. There are new lads joining the whole time. We're just starting off as a brand new club this year so we're in the bottom league in Melbourne but as I said, the standard is pretty good and we're kicking ass in the league.

You can come along to a few trainings if you're interested (it's free) and decide if you want to join after that. Training is at 6:30 every Monday and Wednesday evening at Alma Park (it's on googlemaps) on Alma Road. All you need for training is boots and shorts but you won't be able to play in any of the weekend matches unless you're registered. Let me know if you're going to a training and I'll introduce myself. If tonight's too short notice, we'll be going again next Monday evening anyway.

ye massdebater that would be great i havent got boots yet have training gear i wouldnt be good enough for the first team either so unfit been travelling around asia the last number of months so looking to settle now

Yeah they'll always start new players off in the reserves anyway and tbh it's better craic with the reserves. My fitness is pretty shocking too in fairness, I really only joined for the craic and to get some half decent level of fitness back.

where did u buy boots in melbourne just have sports runners at the minute

darcy07 wrote: »
    where did u buy boots in melbourne just have sports runners at the minute

I paid $100 for a pair of Adidas boots in Sportsco in Chadstone shopping centre. This seems to be fairly standard for a pair. Adidas are doing a clearance sale at their head office this Saturday 9:00-16:00 and Sunday 9:00-15:00, you might be able to pick up a cheap pair there. The address is 767 Springvale Road, Mulgrave 3170. I've never been there myself so not sure what it's like.

• Advertisement

cheers for that will start looking out for a pair and will defo start training next week. will have to figure out how to get out to mulgrave

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭cormaclynch

darcy07 wrote: »
    cheers for that will start looking out for a pair and will defo start training next week. will have to figure out how to get out to mulgrave
    Go to the Nike factory shop on Smith st in villi gelid and you'll get a pair of boots pretty cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 10 anto_mac

i'm over in melbourne for a few weeks just wondering if there any 5 /7 a sides soccer , wouldnt mind playing abit while i'm over here

thursday evening - south yarra hockey club. 9-10.30pm we play. pm me if interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭In Exile

When does the season end over here? Haven't had the time to get back but mad to start playing again.

Is it too late to start now or is there long left in the season?

Season done in 3 weeks. Wait til November for preseason. The preseason is about 3 months long mind

Advertisement