Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aimpoint compM4S?

Options
  • 12-01-2012 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭

Do any of you gentlemen have any experience with the aimpoint compM4S:cool:? i have heard they are pretty much bulletproof but i would like to hear any cons you may have experienced. it's alot of money to be spending 800 yoyo's all in all:eek: as i'll need to get a weaver mount. what kind of distance could i expect to shoot with the 2moa dot? i plan on using it on my 3030win for deer and boar[not over here] so it'd be 100m or less would the dot be ok to that range?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

juice1304 wrote: »
    Do any of you gentlemen have any experience with the aimpoint compM4S:cool:? i have heard they are pretty much bulletproof but i would like to hear any cons you may have experienced. it's alot of money to be spending 800 yoyo's all in all:eek: as i'll need to get a weaver mount. what kind of distance could i expect to shoot with the 2moa dot? i plan on using it on my 3030win for deer and boar[not over here] so it'd be 100m or less would the dot be ok to that range?

These are more "door kicker" optics, ie military style close combat setups.
    They are intended for two-eyes-open, quick target acquisition, hit the threat center mass, style work.
    I wouldn't use one for hunting.
    2moa dot means that the red dot would cover 2 inches at 100 yards.
    If you want to try a collimating scope like this, go cheaper but good.
    Like the Vortex Strikefire (~$150 in the states)

http://www.vortexoptics.com/category/strikefire_red_dots

If you want a hunting scope, go more traditional, I like the vortex viper for the $400-800 range, and the diamond back for the $200-400 range

I know i sound like a sales man for them, but in my opinion they deliver THE best optics per dollar/euro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

i can't mount a traditional scope on the gun as it's a winchester 1894, i plan on getting a scout scope for some of my permissions. but the one i want the aimpoint for is very heavy cover huge bushes/woods so i was looking for a quick target acquisition dealeo. and it's going to be mounted on a scout rail so i want both eyes open. i thought it'd be good for running boar too. i'm just worried how big the dot will look at 100m. i might have a look at a vortex. i'm kind of sold on the aimpoint though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

Juice, don't rule our using the iron sights on the Winchester. I have a pre 64 model in 30-30 and have no intention of scoping it. I can shoot fine with the irons out to a hundred odd yards and realistically the 30-30 should be kept within that distance.

Your best alternative option is an Intermediate Eye Relief (IER) scope or a pistol scope mounted using a scout rail.

You could also try a lyman tang sight. I'm considering a tang sight in the future myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Farmlife

Used one on the range last week, lovely scope, would hit a tennis ball at 50 feet, wouldn't be relying on it to do more.

But as said its more suited to the AR15 platform, if it was me i wouldn't put it on a classic rifle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

Juice, in what year was your rifle produced?

There is a good chance you can mount a scope in the traditional way.

Use this to check:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_can_you_find_the_age_or_year_of_manufacture_for_Winchester_1894_and_94_rifles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

juice1304 wrote: »

Pros: there brilliant ! They have a 5 year continious battery life. Short of trying to drive a nail through the glass they are indesructable.

Cons: The 2MOA can on its own be hand to get used to but with practice and the Aimpoint magnifier its not impossible to shoot to 300M. The Aimpoint + magnifier though will run you big money that could be soent on better optics like:

http://www.valdada.com/product/6928a7e3-e3bc-48d0-9e8a-4ac78862cd81.aspx

Have a look at Doctor Optics as well or JP enterprises J point. They both make Small red dot sights.

Ive used a M4 several times but have a Comp ML3, there the same thing realisicly but the M3s can be got cheaper. The M4s are NVE adaptable where the M3 is and the ML3 isnt but is cheaper for it. As its extra its IMO its only worth having if you plan on using it.
    harmoniums wrote: »
    These are more "door kicker" optics, ie military style close combat setups.
    They are intended for two-eyes-open, quick target acquisition, hit the threat center mass, style work.
    I wouldn't use one for hunting.
    2moa dot means that the red dot would cover 2 inches at 100 yards.
    If you want to try a collimating scope like this, go cheaper but good.
    Like the Vortex Strikefire (~$150 in the states)

http://www.vortexoptics.com/category/strikefire_red_dots

If you want a hunting scope, go more traditional, I like the vortex viper for the $400-800 range, and the diamond back for the $200-400 range

I know i sound like a sales man for them, but in my opinion they deliver THE best optics per dollar/euro

All well and good for the US market but add postage and VAT and its gets pricey, thats IF you can get a company to post it. Even then should they break it would be a deal and a half to return it to fix.

Aimpoint is a swedish company that are easier to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Hibrion wrote: »
    Juice, in what year was your rifle produced?

There is a good chance you can mount a scope in the traditional way.

Use this to check:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_can_you_find_the_age_or_year_of_manufacture_for_Winchester_1894_and_94_rifles

I like the scout rifle configuration, you have pm

Advertisement