Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CSI Modules - Have You Done Any of These?

Options
  • 12-01-2012 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Just wondering has anyone done any of these modules?

COMP41090 (SQL Programming)
    COMP20050 (Software Project 2)
    COMP30010 (Foundations of Computers)

Think of them as electives. I'm not a CSI student but I'm proficient in SQL, PHP, Java and most of the major C variants.

Any feedback or suggestions welcome! I wanted to do COMP30090 (Operating Systems 1) but it clashed with a core module.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

ironclaw wrote: »

Sweet module. Not much programming; more business orientated. Slightly messy course organisation however (I'd say it's improved by now though).

Pretty important module in terms of computing (as the title would suggest). The subject is kindof interesting but it's pretty horrible all in all; huge, badly explained and a lot of work. Open book mid-term and final exam tho. Few practical skills from this module: more the theoretical foundations upon which computing is based.

SQL is very easy as well; and quite useful to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

I did COMP41090 sql but it was not with the other fourth years.

Handy enough course, uses Oracle (mostly locally as the Oracle server in UCD was not working for most of the course.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Anyone done COMP20130 Intro to comp forensics?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Hi Folks,

Just wondering has anyone done any of these modules?

COMP41090 (SQL Programming)

Think of them as electives. I'm not a CSI student but I'm proficient in SQL, PHP, Java and most of the major C variants.

Any feedback or suggestions welcome! I wanted to do COMP30090 (Operating Systems 1) but it clashed with a core module.

Cheers!

Does COMP20050 not clash for you? Are you not taking SSE2?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭CrazyFish

One of the harder computer science modules in my experience.

Conor108 wrote: »
    Anyone done COMP20130 Intro to comp forensics?
    Grand enough course. Have to maintain a learning journal which basically describes each of the lectures, so you must attend the lectures. Think its worth 50 % and then the rest is for a short enough essay and a final exam which is made up of short questions which are fairly easy.

• Advertisement

Processor Design (COMP30080) anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭CrazyFish

Chet T16 wrote: »
    Processor Design (COMP30080) anyone?
    One of the more enjoyable courses for me in third year. Learn about different types of processor and how they are optimized etc. Practicals mainly involve implementing simple programs in Mips assembly language. Then a group project which involved groups of three implementing parts of a processors in Mips. Course is pretty interesting and the labs are grand enough if you actually go to them. The lecture is one of the better lecturers in Ucd as well imo. Made hard things seem simple etc and is approachable if you have any problems with the course.

CrazyFish wrote: »
    One of the more enjoyable courses for me in third year. Learn about different types of processor and how they are optimized etc. Practicals mainly involve implementing simple programs in Mips assembly language. Then a group project which involved groups of three implementing parts of a processors in Mips. Course is pretty interesting and the labs are grand enough if you actually go to them. The lecture is one of the better lecturers in Ucd as well imo. Made hard things seem simple etc and is approachable if you have any problems with the course.

Nice, it sounded interesting so i took a chance on it. I'll stick with it so!

Advertisement