Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help choosing dog

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

You could get something like a freestanding dog run from cilldara.ie that can be moved if your parents were unhappy with a permanent structure.

You definately need some form of secure containment, we have nearly an acre that's like fort knox in case our setters get out. We're surrounded by farmland and there's always either sheep or cattle grazing directly across the road from us. We know the farmer well but he wouldn't hesitate to shoot one of the dogs if it was worrying his stock.

Setters have fantastic stamina, can run forever and are fairly easy to train, they sometimes get a bad rep at being a bit hyper and flighty, but with good training early on you shouldn't have problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

was looking at this thread yesterday but kept quiet as ppl had gave their opinions on having a dog in a unsecure garden.

after this morning i thought u should hear of my neighbours dog. we live just out of the town on a busy rd. across the rd from me maybe half a mile there has lived for the last 6 yrs or so the most beautiful gsd. we meet him every morning on are walk he comes out and says hello. he lives in a house with lots of ground and no secure fencing at all but has lived their as safe as anything. i have always said to my oh no way would i be happy letting our dogs live like that and one day something would happen.

anyways this morning on my oh way to work he saw something lying on the ground he slowed down and their was poor sam, barely breathing cut on his head and blood trickling out of his nose. poor sam was only feet away from his gate. he must of seen something, rabbit cat who knows. my poor oh had time to do nothing sam died in his arms. joe went in with dog but know one was there so the shed was open and he left sam there under a blanket in what we say is sam bed. joe was so upset he didnt go to work and he is up and down checking sam and seen if owners are back yet, but no one home yet. we have left are number so they can call us.

we are getting the keys to are new house today but after we get keys i cant see much getting done as we are both 2 upset.

so i think im letting u know sams story to make ppl see that yes a dog may live safetly unsecured but all it takes is for him to get out once and thats it. sorry cant write anymore as its just to upsetting

RIP sam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Cubed

You could get something like a freestanding dog run from cilldara.ie that can be moved if your parents were unhappy with a permanent structure.

You definately need some form of secure containment, we have nearly an acre that's like fort knox in case our setters get out. We're surrounded by farmland and there's always either sheep or cattle grazing directly across the road from us. We know the farmer well but he wouldn't hesitate to shoot one of the dogs if it was worrying his stock.

Setters have fantastic stamina, can run forever and are fairly easy to train, they sometimes get a bad rep at being a bit hyper and flighty, but with good training early on you shouldn't have problems.

Ya I guess I could section off a piece of the garden alright I was just never that keen on couping a dog up, will give it some thought and run it by the folks. Oh I know what farmers are like with stray dogs, same around my area and perfectly entitled to aswell imo as thats their livelyhood. Thanks for that link.

A setter would be a nice sized dog, or some class of a spaniel either maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Cubed wrote: »
    Ya I guess I could section off a piece of the garden alright I was just never that keen on couping a dog up, will give it some thought and run it by the folks. Oh I know what farmers are like with stray dogs, same around my area and perfectly entitled to aswell imo as thats their livelyhood. Thanks for that link.

A setter would be a nice sized dog, or some class of a spaniel either maybe

Its not a case about how you feel about keeping a dog contained, its your responsibility as an owner to do so. Its against the law to let your dog roam, not to mention careless, dangerous and irresponsible.

Its not like the dog will be in it 24/7, he will only be in it when you arent around or have to go out and leave him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

We got a collie mix ,tones of energy.He rans beside my OH on her morning jog and beside me on the bike every evening ,We had a river near by and he loved diving in going for a long swim, but was also very relaxed when brought home.
    The OH used to work from home and he liked nothing better than following her into her office and falling asleep under her desk.
    Was the perfect dog for our circumstances ,but when my OH had to return to working in an office he did not do well on his own during the day.
    He got very stressed without companionship each day and a dog who had never misbehaved in the 5 years we had him started to destroy the garden with frustration

Luckily his "grandparents" are retired and adore him.When one of their dogs passed away they were happy to take him in.He is very happy in his new home and although he doesn't get the exercise he got when he stayed with us they have plenty of land a doggy pal for him and they potter about their garden all day every day so all the companionship he requires.

A collie mix sounds perfect for your circumstances today ,but I would be wary if those circumstances were to change as they do not handle change or time alone well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Just one small bit of advice to consider if I may. When I got my fella, I had done all the research had the house with the GF and was all prepared for the commitment. But after all that it still can surprise you how much of an impact a dog can have on your life. Especially socially, when you'd like nothing more than to head down to the local for a few after a hard day but can't because you feel guilty about leaving the dog on his own ;)
    This. It's impossible to understand this until youdo it. I haven't had Friday pints for a year now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ameliejane

Hi, My friend is interested in choosing a long hair chihuahua as a pet. She has never had this breed before and would love to get information from experienced lovers of this breed. I thought I'd ask on the internet to see what information I can find for her.
    Are they gentle or snappy (she is worried about this and are they yappy) and what about health issues? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Just a point in relation to border collies which are great dogs, energetic & easy to train ( allegedly) ; go-all-day dogs!!! If the OP is at work ( elsewhere) all day & your family Jack Russell is used to just hanging around & chilling indoors; who will be giving the other dog the long walks it will need!!!: :o ?

& at least as natural herders they shouldn't be eating the flock of sheep nearby!!!

+1 for our nice lurker friend : )
    Happy Sun-dogwalking-Day

Thanks a million just a thought for responding to my query. It is good to get advice so I will have some information for her (my friend) when she mentions the idea again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

ameliejane wrote: »
    Thanks a million just a thought for responding to my query. It is good to get advice so I will have some information for her (my friend) when she mentions the idea again.

The weren't responding to your question, they answered the original person which is what happens when people bump up old threads with completely unrelated queries. I would suggest starting your own thread with your query if you want advice.

• Advertisement

Just to let you know Adrenalinjunkie that, Justathought did respond to me by post message today and gave me plenty of advice on the question I asked. I was not used to the procedure of boards.ie and she told me that the choice of using a new thread was available for this new topic. I think the mistake I made here was not sending a pm to this person so I am sorry for confusing you. I thought I'd post on this thread because it was a public thread and so others if they saw it might know that I had been satisfied with the help I have got. It was great to get an answer. Boards was a big help and I will know in future that a new thread might be the way to go about doing things instead of causing confusion. Sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

No worries, it takes most people a while to 'get' how it all works ;). If you'd said 'thanks for your PM', it would have been clear you weren't responding to the post on thread made by the same person. If you wish I can spilt your post into a new thread.

Advertisement