Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl generator

Options
  • 12-01-2012 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

Lidl will be selling generators on Thursday 19th January. It's advertised as 2800w but in the same description states it has 5.1kW output.

This seems to be contradictory - can anyone explain?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Its likely the 2800w (2.8kw) is the continous rating, and the 5.1kw (5100w) is probably the max it can deliver for very short bursts.

In reality 2.8kw is a power rating, where as this probably should be rated as 2.8kva which is a little different. This generator could be capable of powering a 2800w heating element continously, but not a 2800w motor load, which is why generators should be rated in kva.

But for general use, it will be around the 2800w (resistive load) continous rated output.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Anyone got a link ?

Ta

Lidl generator

It might be giving the power of the engine as 7hp, as well as the actual generator output of 2.8kva

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭cala

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Its likely the 2800w (2.8kw) is the continous rating, and the 5.1kw (5100w) is probably the max it can deliver for very short bursts.

In reality 2.8kw is a power rating, where as this probably should be rated as 2.8kva which is a little different. This generator could be capable of powering a 2800w heating element continously, but not a 2800w motor load, which is why generators should be rated in kva.

But for general use, it will be around the 2800w (resistive load) continous rated output.
    how is kva calculated re hp or output

cala wrote: »
    how is kva calculated re hp or output

KVA is volts x amps/1000 in an AC circuit. If a heating element is 2kw, its power factor will be 1 as its a resistive load. So it will require a 2kva output from a generator to power it, as the element takes 8.7 amps to give its 2kw output (a 2kw 230v element)

If its a 2kw motor with a 0.75 power factor, it would require a 2.6kva supply from the generator, because the 2kw motor would take over 11 amps to get 2kw out of it, because of the out of phase power factor. (efficiency excluded in calculations)

So the 2.8kva generator can give a continous 2800/230v= 12.17 amps. But how this amps level equates to KW depends on the power factor of the load.

The HP is kw/0.746

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭jingojonson

These have been on sale previously over the last few years. Does anyone have one and if so whats the feedback? A honday will cost over twice the price, so is it worth waiting and saving up or is the lidl one grand for irregular use?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

The only issues I see with them is the outlet sockets and theres no 110v.So for €200 I dont think you can wrong if you just need a Generator for around the house.

paddymick wrote: »
    The only issues I see with them is the outlet sockets and theres no 110v.So for €200 I dont think you can wrong if you just need a Generator for around the house.

Yes thats about it there. Sockets will need an adaptor, but at €200 it seems a good generator.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭liveandnetural

Yorky wrote: »
    Lidl will be selling generators on Thursday 19th January. It's advertised as 2800w but in the same description states it has 5.1kW output.

This seems to be contradictory - can anyone explain?

5.1kw is the rating for the petrol engine(7HP)
    2800w is output of generator

• Advertisement

5.1kw is the rating for the petrol engine(7HP)
    2800w is output of generator

Thats mentioned somewhere earlier alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Pardon my ignorance, but is it safe to use the 2 pin to 3 pin adapters with something like this? Also, can one safely use an extension lead to multiply at least one of the outputs to handle 4 outputs? i.e. to use kettle, radio and maybe a microwave if needed at the same time? :confused:

Are they allowed sell these 2 pin models here? Shouldn't they have a 3 pin model if sold here?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Pardon my ignorance, but is it safe to use the 2 pin to 3 pin adapters with something like this? Also, can one safely use an extension lead to multiply at least one of the outputs to handle 4 outputs? i.e. to use kettle, radio and maybe a microwave if needed at the same time? :confused:

Are they allowed sell these 2 pin models here? Shouldn't they have a 3 pin model if sold here?
    Kettle = 2200-2500w
    Microwave = 600-800w
    Radio = 20w-60w
    Generator output is 2800w.
    Its pretty close to the maximum load with just a kettle nevermind all the rest.
    I would use one thing at a time or buy a bigger genset.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

So did we get any guinea pig`s today that bit the bullet?

Advertisement