Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laser hair removal advice?

• 12-01-2012 1:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭

I have had five laser hair removal sessions so far, I have one session left. I don't have super dark hair, but I wouldn't call it fair either. I have seen no results so far. I have expressed this concern at the beginning of each session. It's always a different person that does the treatment and the response from each of them was usually you'll definitely notice results after this session. It wasn't till the fifth session when the woman that was doing the treatment actually seemed to know what she was talking about, she told me there has to be a small amount of stubble present for the treatment to work. When I had my initial consultation I was told to shave within 24 hours of the treatment, so I asked for clarification on this. I asked did that mean I should shave as close to the treatment as I can or if there should be about 24 hours between the shaving and the treatment. The woman's response was to shave as close to the treatment as I can, the less hair present the better.

I'm not sure what to do about this. I'm gutted it hasn't worked at all, it's just been a major waste of time and money. I haven't voiced this concern to the salon just yet, I plan too when I go in for my last session. I'm just wondering what I should expect, what's the typical response from a salon when treatments like this don't work, especially when it's the fault of the salons under trained or under qualified staff.

Anybody on here work in a salon and know the protocol for this kind of thing? Or have experience dealing with this sort of thing in salons in the past?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I have had five laser hair removal sessions so far, I have one session left. I don't have super dark hair, but I wouldn't call it fair either. I have seen no results so far. I have expressed this concern at the beginning of each session. It's always a different person that does the treatment and the response from each of them was usually you'll definitely notice results after this session. It wasn't till the fifth session when the woman that was doing the treatment actually seemed to know what she was talking about, she told me there has to be a small amount of stubble present for the treatment to work. When I had my initial consultation I was told to shave within 24 hours of the treatment, so I asked for clarification on this. I asked did that mean I should shave as close to the treatment as I can or if there should be about 24 hours between the shaving and the treatment. The woman's response was to shave as close to the treatment as I can, the less hair present the better.

I'm not sure what to do about this. I'm gutted it hasn't worked at all, it's just been a major waste of time and money. I haven't voiced this concern to the salon just yet, I plan too when I go in for my last session. I'm just wondering what I should expect, what's the typical response from a salon when treatments like this don't work, especially when it's the fault of the salons under trained or under qualified staff.

Anybody on here work in a salon and know the protocol for this kind of thing? Or have experience dealing with this sort of thing in salons in the past?

I had laser hair removal a number of years ago (2007-2008) and it was a huge success for me. I had a combination of some very dark hair and some lighter hair and then a few very fair hairs that never went.
    I was initially booked in for 6 sessions and was able to notice a difference between the 2nd and 3rd session, with a notable difference by the 5th.
    I did need a total of 9 sessions which I was happy enough to pay for.

The salon should have told you how to maximise the treatments, i.e. shave close to the appointment time, avoid sunlight while undergoing the treatments, etc.

I know the cost of laser hair removal has come down quite a bit since I had it but it is still a significant amount of money to part with for something you're not happy with. I would insist on speaking to the manager of the salon and discuss your treatments and lack of results with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 sickofthiscrap

Does laser hair removal last? I was in with a beauticain who said the hair grows back after 6-12 mths?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

Laser does last but you do generally need maintenance treatments..

Op -- speak to the salon before your next appointment and see what they will offer you (ie a 7th session for free)

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

You should definitely ask for an appointment with the technician just to talk about your results. I have only have 3 sessions and already there is a massive decrease in the hair under my arms and on my bikini area. There are patches where the hair grows like before but I still have 3 more sessions to go so am happy with the result so far.

In relation to needing stubble, I was told quite the opposite. I was advised to have nice, clear, shaven skin before having the laser put on. Little stray hairs can actually cause a slight burn if they are not shaven down.

You should also get free sessions until the hair growth has diminished given that this is what you've paid for.

I got a mild burn from the laser because we missed shaving a tiny, stray blonde hair (I'm actually black haired but it was like a fine baby hair) and my technician has given me free sessions on a lower laser level just to make sure I get perfect results. Definitely insist on speaking with them before the next treatment.

Also, I have the same person doing mine all the time so she can see exactly how well it is progressing so maybe you can request to have the same girl as last time?

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 sturner10

You should have seen some results by now, I would defiantly mention it at your next treatment...however if you continue to stick with it and have more treatments when you have run your course I agree with Isolt that you should ask for the same person each time so they can track your progress.

Take a look at this article about what you should do to get the most from your treatment:

Getting the most from your laser hair removal treatments

Also there are some more informative articles on there to do with laser hair removal that you could find helpful.

Good luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

I had 6 sessions in the same place, (prepaid)was told to shave the night before each session , even bought the special cream to wear afterwards. Had a different girl each time, voiced me concerns of no noticeable difference each time and was told, "we'll do a really good go over it this time, and you should see results"
    Saw NO improvement after the 6 sessions, was told to come back for a 7th and so on.
    I couldn't afford it, so I never went back.
    Very dissapointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

. Its very unprofessional that'd you have a different person each time, I would definitely be unhappy about that. I hope you have some comeback from the fact that it hasnt worked but I do wonder if we sign off our rights to anything like that when we sign the disclaimer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

dafunk wrote: »
    . Its very unprofessional that'd you have a different person each time, I would definitely be unhappy about that. I hope you have some comeback from the fact that it hasnt worked but I do wonder if we sign off our rights to anything like that when we sign the disclaimer?
    I was so disheartened about the whole thing, it used to bring me to tears. I'll never darken their (very well known) door again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 AnnaThe

I spent a lot of money on laser hair removal around 2007 and I wasn't getting results. The salon agreed to give me two free sessions and subsequent sessions at a reduced rate. I eventually saw results. I can't remember how long it took. Be sure to talk to them. You have nothing to lose. Be brave and good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Idle Passerby

I was just going to put up a thread asking for advise on laser hair removal. I'm booked for a consultation but I'm just wondering how common is it to get no results?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

I had 8 sessions and barely any results. I thought I was getting there but haven't had a session now since November and most of the hair is back. I have written to the salon, expressed my concern at every treatment but the most I can hope for according to them is one more free treatment. It's Therapie by the way and was told I was an ideal candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sammathew

Laser hair removal machines are the safest known way to remove hair permanently. But many a times, you may find it difficult to see positive changes even after 5 or 6 sittings, it all depends on how dense your hair are and how strong the laser source is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fiona

I have had 8 sessions now on my face. Hair does not grow back on my upper lip at all from what I can see but it is still growing back around my chin area but nowhere near as bad as it was. I am really happy I started getting it done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭gigawatt

i got lazer sessions done and have had excellent results. apparently it depends on the type of lazer they use (as well as hair type etc) my beautician said a lot of places advertise IPL as lazer hair removal, but she said you would be at it forever trying to remove hair with IPL. I just got lucky that the salon I went to use the proper lazer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

mrs crilly wrote: »
    I have had 8 sessions now on my face. Hair does not grow back on my upper lip at all from what I can see but it is still growing back around my chin area but nowhere near as bad as it was. I am really happy I started getting it done.

How often are you getting it done??

I'm getting it done on my lip and chin in Heaven on Grafton Street. It was bought through one of the deal sites and I can only get it done every 6 weeks. I'm worried that this isn't enough. I've only had one session so far and I know I won't see any results for a while yet but I've read that for facial hair you should really get it done every 3 weeks. Does anyone know if this is true or does it matter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fiona

How often are you getting it done??

I'm getting it done on my lip and chin in Heaven on Grafton Street. It was bought through one of the deal sites and I can only get it done every 6 weeks. I'm worried that this isn't enough. I've only had one session so far and I know I won't see any results for a while yet but I've read that for facial hair you should really get it done every 3 weeks. Does anyone know if this is true or does it matter?
    I block booked 6 sessions and they were every 4 weeks i think at the start. Now i just go when i need it about every 6 weeks. Im going to Therapie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭mezdupmaiden

Im sorry to say but I'd get a second opinion, my friend was getting it done for ages, had spent over 2grand on it, when the company when bust and she went else where, it turns out she wasnt doing it correctly in first place

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Jane5

You have to be really careful where you go! Went before to one of those places doing "deals" before-they actually made the hair worse! Won't mention where....

In contrast, got legs done in Harley Medical Group in Dublin, and almost three years later, no need to shave, legs look so smooth and feel really silky, best money I ever spent! Going to get armpits done too this year.....

No one should be getting it done every three weeks! The cycle of regrowth takes 6-8 weeks-be wary of places if they say otherwise!

Jane5 wrote: »
    You have to be really careful where you go! Went before to one of those places doing "deals" before-they actually made the hair worse! Won't mention where....

In contrast, got legs done in Harley Medical Group in Dublin, and almost three years later, no need to shave, legs look so smooth and feel really silky, best money I ever spent! Going to get armpits done too this year.....

No one should be getting it done every three weeks! The cycle of regrowth takes 6-8 weeks-be wary of places if they say otherwise!
    How much did it cost if you dont mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭CBFi

Gigawatt - where did you go to get it done?

I'm really fair but thinking of it getting it done with the one for fair hair.

• Advertisement

I think it was about 1500 euros, sounds pricey initially but remember, no more salon waxing, or Veet, or expensive Ladyshave blades and foam, with special moisturiser after....it all adds up and I reckon I've nearly broke even now :D plus they look completely different to when I shaved-they actually LOOK silky smooth. I haven't had to have any kind of top up yet, there are a couple hairs that are very far apart that have returned, maybe about twenty in all, can pluck them but they aren't that dark so can't really see them. A top up is not expensive, especially when there's not much there, so maintenance over the years is still going to be cheaper and more effective.

Jane5 wrote: »
    I think it was about 1500 euros, sounds pricey initially but remember, no more salon waxing, or Veet, or expensive Ladyshave blades and foam, with special moisturiser after....it all adds up and I reckon I've nearly broke even now :D plus they look completely different to when I shaved-they actually LOOK silky smooth. I haven't had to have any kind of top up yet, there are a couple hairs that are very far apart that have returned, maybe about twenty in all, can pluck them but they aren't that dark so can't really see them. A top up is not expensive, especially when there's not much there, so maintenance over the years is still going to be cheaper and more effective.
    I'd love to get it done, as I always seem to cut my legs shaving :(

Think Harley medical group where I got it done do free consultations-can't be sure as when I went in I was like "get it off get it off get it off" and went for it straight away, but I'm sure they would do a free initial assessment and quote for you, then you could make up your own mind.
    They do pay as you go if you can't afford the lump sum right away, you get a discount for paying upfront though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭gigawatt

hi CBFi , i got it done on a groupon deal with clearskin.ie, the clinic I went to is in tallaght close enough to the square. since the beautician told me about the different types of lazers I think that its so unfair that places will blatantly advertise hair removal with IPL lazers, IPL lasers are supposed to be used to improve skin conditions and are poor at hair removal. apparently its something to do with the depth the lazer penetrates the layers of the skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bobsmith12

I have taken laser hair removal treatment. It works great. I think 5-6 sessions are enough for complete laser hair removal process. Sometimes it may take 2-3 more session if area is large and hairs are quite dense.

Advertisement