Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pgde in maths

• 12-01-2012 2:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭

Hi,
    im thinking of going across the water to do this. What i've been checking out the gttr website. Has anyone here done it over there and if so where did you do it? Also as regards fees, it can be up to 9000pounds in fees, is there any funding/grants available?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Moved to NI & GB Colleges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 ULgirl2010

rothai wrote: »
    Hi,
    im thinking of going across the water to do this. What i've been checking out the gttr website. Has anyone here done it over there and if so where did you do it? Also as regards fees, it can be up to 9000pounds in fees, is there any funding/grants available?

Hey,

I have been accepted onto a PGCE course starting in September, so I cant tell you what its like just yet, but with regards to grants etc, Maths, along with Chemistry and Physics are 'shortage' subjcts in England and so if you decide to go to England you will automatically recieve a bursary which is not means tested. Its depends on your final results, a 1:1 gives you 20,000 sterling, a 2:1 is 15,000 and a 2:2 is 12,000

http://www.tda.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/funding/training-in-england/postgraduate-funding.aspx

its also worth considering that in the UK you will recieve a student loan to cover your fees which you then repay at a rate of a few pound a month once you are empolyed earning over 21,000 a year I think.

If you have any questions regarding the application form feel free to pm me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 grainne97

Hi! Just a quick question, does this only apply to secondary pgce courses? I'm applying for a primary one and keep getting conflicting information! No idea what I'll be able to get or from where!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

You should qualify for a tuition fee loan but not a maintenance loan. There is a bursary for primary school teaching. For a 2.2 you get nothing, 2.1 or Masters you get 5,000 and if you have a 1.1 or PhD you get 9,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Westiebell

This Bursary seems a little too good to be true, are there conditions attached apart from what class of degree you recieved in university, such as having to teach in the UK for a certain number of years? I have applied for the PGDE via PAC for Maths here but simply dont have enough cash put aside to support myself and fees for the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 primrose1990

Westiebell wrote: »
    This Bursary seems a little too good to be true, are there conditions attached apart from what class of degree you recieved in university, such as having to teach in the UK for a certain number of years? I have applied for the PGDE via PAC for Maths here but simply dont have enough cash put aside to support myself and fees for the year.

No, there are no conditions. With any PGCE in the UK you will have stay on for a year to complete the NQT year in order to be qualified to teach in Ireland, this is regardless of recieving a bursary or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Westiebell wrote: »

No other conditions attached as far as I'm aware. They give bursaries because they want to entice good quality graduates into the teaching profession. I've applied to do a primary PGCE in the UK, I'm not entitled to any financial assistance in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Westiebell

Thanks for the replys guys and I must apologize in advance for my cluelessness ere, to train as a secondary school teacher in the UK, I would have to spend one year completing my qualification and a further year there as a NQT? I have friends who have undertaken primary school postgrads in the UK and returned to teach in Ireland the following year, are the rules different for primary and secondary?

Advertisement