Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help me identify this building in Cork

Options
  • 12-01-2012 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Would anyone know what this building used to be (I let you use the map to spot the exact location)?

http://g.co/maps/f675w

I'm quite intrigued.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

mm is that down by the old jew town as they used to call it...The building on the corner the brown one looks like where they have the breast cancer screening...Lets say, would you know the foot bridge leading from Albert Road ish it is just above the south link coming into town. If you walked over that you come down by where lennoxs is

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

:Dera sure jaysus it is..I just turned the picture around and you can see the foot bridge... M knowledge is never ending

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

But what was it? There were quite a bit of work shops in that general area as well as a main rail line passing out the now South Link.

There are quite a few old facia in that general area of interest. I think it might have been the hospital morgue in relatively recent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭enas

Milly33 wrote: »
    mm is that down by the old jew town as they used to call it...

I though the Jewtown was more this area (on the other side of the South Link)?
    Milly33 wrote: »
    :Dera sure jaysus it is..I just turned the picture around and you can see the foot bridge... M knowledge is never ending

Of course I know where it is, I located it on the map myself after all :) I just didn't bother describing where it is, as I was linking to the map, which can give a much more accurate description of the location than I would have.
    gbee wrote: »
    There are quite a few old facia in that general area of interest.

I know, which is why I like this area. I have a bit of a passion for local history, especially in places I'm still discovering (and I spotted this building only this morning, after 5 years in Cork).

I think it might have been the hospital morgue in relatively recent times.

Can anyone confirm this?

enas wrote: »
    I though the Jewtown was more this area (on the other side of the South Link)?.

Whilst you are not wrong, it also includes the Hibernian Road.

At least according to: http://kieranmccarthy.ie/wordpress/?page_id=128

• Advertisement

Can anyone confirm this?

No, as a small boy growing up in the Marsh, I had cousins Anglesea Terrace [previous street going out of town] but this area was forbidden. In those days we'd never have questioned this.

this area was forbidden

Was it? Why is that?

Whilst you are not wrong, it also includes the Hibernian Road.

At least according to: http://kieranmccarthy.ie/wordpress/?page_id=128

As far as I can read there, there's only a mention of Hibernian Buildings, which is in the area I was linking to. Am I wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I'd say it's behind the breast check place near anglesea street.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

use the historic maps here to get a better idea you can overlay the new maps to see exactly the differences , looks like it was always hospital grounds/lunatic asylum :D

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,568277,571301,7,0

• Advertisement

Overlaying the older maps, it suggests that the building front in the OP's post is marked a 'factory'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

If you look closely at the two windows to the left of the door, there seems to be something written over them. Hard to make out, but looks something like

?AYSTON BER???

And over the door is written LF(?) 1433

I'd say it might be properly readable if you went down there - that might help a bit.

Looking on google, there was a bakery (Hosford Ltd) in Hibernian Road in the 1940s, but even if it's that building, it wouldn't have been the original use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

Hi,

Would anyone know what this building used to be (I let you use the map to spot the exact location)?

http://g.co/maps/f675w

I'm quite intrigued.

Cheers!
    You've intrigued me too! And I've made some progress.

The building and attached warehouse are owned by South Infirmary-Victoria Hospital. As part of building the Breast Check building they applied for planning permission for an ESB Substation in the warehouse (Planning Ref: 0731979).

As you can see from the excerpts of the planning drawings, the building you're interested in is listed as Protected Structure PS824.

188319.jpg

188320.jpg

188322.jpg

Unfortunately the List of Protected Structures for Cork City only list PS824 as "Hibernian Road - Single Storey 5-bay Structure, Rocksavage" and that's where the trail goes cold.

rcdk1 wrote: »
    You've intrigued me too! And I've made some progress.

That's some good work, thanks! At least, we know this is a protected structure, so worthy of interest. The old maps show it as part of a "factory", but that's quite an elaborate structure for a factory, so surely it must have had some other use...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

That's some good work, thanks! At least, we know this is a protected structure, so worthy of interest. The old maps show it as part of a "factory", but that's quite an elaborate structure for a factory, so surely it must have had some other use...

I wonder was it part of the old gasworks?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭BarneyMagee

There is some more information on the building here but doesn't give much info on its history.

http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/niah/search.jsp?type=record&county=CO&regno=20508357

The City Councillor Kieran McCarthy seems to know everything about every building in Cork so it might be worth contacting him through his website: http://corkheritage.ie/

Went there today took a few iPhone pics, a name

Mayston Brownlow and others that I can't decipher. Possibly a date or a number 1425 or 22425 with ONF possibly ..ONF

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Went there today took a few iPhone pics, a name

Mayston Brownlow and others that I can't decipher. Possibly a date or a number 1425 or 22425 with ONF possibly ..ONF

I wonder if it is connected to A R Brownlow Engineers who are located quite nearby, just down on the South Link? They were established in 1937, a son of, perhaps.

There is some more information on the building here but doesn't give much info on its history.

http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/niah/search.jsp?type=record&county=CO&regno=20508357

Thanks for the link. I like this text:
    Very unusual single-storey remains of interesting baroque-style building. The building is particularly striking for its elaborate façade on this small, quiet street, where most of the surrounding buildings are industrial.

Precisely what I thought when I saw it, which triggered my interest!
    The City Councillor Kieran McCarthy seems to know everything about every building in Cork so it might be worth contacting him through his website: http://corkheritage.ie/

Good suggestion, I will try that later. If I get any more info, I will post it back here. I'm happy to see this interest here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

Possibly a shop or offices for the factory?

• Advertisement

"factory", but that's quite an elaborate structure for a factory, so surely it must have had some other use...

Not necessarily so, the Firkin Crane & Butter Exchange buildings were are impressive and were made so deliberately, we are still under the influence of massive decorative buildings for housing machines like steam engines and we have not gravitated towards the 'common one size fits all warehouse yet'

True industry just went on to become a blight and was eventually banished to the industrial estates out of sight, but it was not always like this, though, by 1920 when this building is listed for, it's architects were still designing elegance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Great detective work guys, that google earth, at street level is spookily accurate/intrusive??. :eek:
    Big brother is most definitely watching us.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I used to work about 20 metres away on Anglesea Street for a few months, and no one there could ever tell me what the building was for. It's always fascinated me. The other one I like too is the orphaned stone archway behind Dunnes North Main Street on the Quay. It's tucked between the Dunnes Building, and the Apartment Complex/Supermacs. Think that one belonged to the Irish Examiner at one point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

May have been a railway workshop associated with the old west cork railway. My dad worked on that road for a while with the railway. He doesn't specifically remember that building but there were a few workshops there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Great detective work guys, that google earth, at street level is spookily accurate/intrusive??. :eek:
    Big brother is most definitely watching us.

It's not really, most of the street view imagery is usually a few months old. My car on my driveway was going back 2 years - as it was my last car, and hadn't a roofbox on it yet so I could date it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

evilivor wrote: »
    I wonder if it is connected to A R Brownlow Engineers who are located quite nearby, just down on the South Link? They were established in 1937, a son of, perhaps.
    yes AR Brownlow is now being run by AR s three sons . They are only in the current location since the link road was developed though. Prior to that they traded out of Anglesea St. More or less opp John Morris Tyres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Owen wrote: »
    It's not really, most of the street view imagery is usually a few months old. My car on my driveway was going back 2 years - as it was my last car, and hadn't a roofbox on it yet so I could date it.

From what I can see in Cork city street view was summer of 2009, reason is there are euro and I think local election posters on view and the fact that el Vinos in the Elysian is not yet open, but the Elysian is completed, Elysian finished mid 2008, el Vinos opened late 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

You have me going now as well!!
    I'll have a chat with my Dad tomorrow if I can. He's 84 and lived in the City Centre for all of his childhood and has an encyclopedic knowledge of the 'old' City.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

From what I can see in Cork city street view was summer of 2009, reason is there are euro and I think local election posters on view and the fact that el Vinos in the Elysian is not yet open, but the Elysian is completed, Elysian finished mid 2008, el Vinos opened late 2009.

Some of it was specifically the 5th of June, you can see people heading in to vote at my local school.

You could try looking in the Cork City Library, they have lots of information on local history.

• Advertisement
Advertisement