Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in County Cavan

Options
  • 12-01-2012 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Currently looking into changing my Broadband provider and looking around for the best deal in the county.Im currently on Eircom and I live out in the
    countryside but as you would imagine its not a great service for myself when you take into consideration Line rental and not many calls been made on the
    land line anymore.

Just enquiring what is everyones provider and are you's happy with them. Trying to give myself a prespective before i go into a contract with any company that others may find terrible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

So many variables there is no one answer.

Arden do line of site bb, however trees and hills mean you may not be able to get it.

I'm currently looking at satellite bb to get around fixed line and line of sight providers. Expensive, €40-60 a month for 6mb download.

I currently using vodafone 3G dongle with a 3G booster. I'm get 1-2mb download. However if you can get a 3G signal in your house this option would get you 5mb download for as little as €15-20 per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

So many variables there is no one answer.

Arden do line of site bb, however trees and hills mean you may not be able to get it.

I'm currently looking at satellite bb to get around fixed line and line of sight providers. Expensive, €40-60 a month for 6mb download.

I currently using vodafone 3G dongle with a 3G booster. I'm get 1-2mb download. However if you can get a 3G signal in your house this option would get you 5mb download for as little as €15-20 per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭talullah

We're with Wi-max just over a year, no real probs with them at all! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Cheers for the input Guys,Still looking into my options as my contract with eircom is up soon.Looking into Arden Broadband aswel as 3G Broadband but i would need a boaster for 3G as its touch and go around my house for coverage.

Anyone have any experiences with ciaracom?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭MoeJay

Whereabouts are you....? Have you looked at Net1's coverage?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

There are two factors to be considered when choosing BB.

1. Speed, in megabits per second. Providers will promise a lot but often fail to deliver. The upload and download speeds can also be very different.

2. Monthly limit, in Gigabytes. An allowance of 5GB will not be much use if you are downloading a lot of music/movies.gaming. Go over your limit on a contract account and you will be crucified on price. On a pay as you go modem, you can use up your limit and not incur such exorbitant fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

MoeJay wrote: »
    Based near Belturbet, And unfortunately net1 doesn't cover the area.
    Gophur wrote: »
    There are two factors to be considered when choosing BB.

1. Speed, in megabits per second. Providers will promise a lot but often fail to deliver. The upload and download speeds can also be very different.

2. Monthly limit, in Gigabytes. An allowance of 5GB will not be much use if you are downloading a lot of music/movies.gaming. Go over your limit on a contract account and you will be crucified on price. On a pay as you go modem, you can use up your limit and not incur such exorbitant fees.

1.Looking for perhaps 2Mb at least,If 3Mb is going cheap aswel but I know from Living in the city and from everyone that what you pay for is not 100% what you get.

2.The family would be running at least 2-4 laptops so some months it could be a high Monthly Download. Youtube and Gaming is favourite in the house. I would be better to pay for the extra Download limit that could incur on a higher bill when it does go over which can happen easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Coca cola

Hi every1.
    Am based in butlersbridge and am having a nitemare trying to get BB. At min am using my iPhone and plugging it into the laptop if I need to. But it's sooo slow. Nearly as bad as dial up ; (

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭daithip

Butlersbridge is covered by Arden and Net1

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ehealo

MoeJay wrote: »
    I would not recommend Net1. Ask anyone from North Leitrim or North West Cavan who has this this service and ask them about broadband consistency and customer service. Trust me. Not good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 cavanman1979

I've been with Imagine/Wimax for about 9 or 10 months now and must say it has been great. I'm just outside Cavan town (Ballinagh Road). No limit on how much you download and up to 6 laptops can connect at any one time via the router. I'm paying €30 per month for 3MB download;

http://www.imagine.ie/wimax_broadband.html

On two occassions we experienced a drop in speed, however, on both occassions we logged a call with them and they had it sorted within 24hours. They don't know themselves what the cause of it was but it was very quickly and easily corrected. The correction actually resulted in us getting speeds of up to 5MB download since believe it or not!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Net1

Apart from a handwritten poster in a certain shop in Butlersbridge - Net1 are NOT aware of any problems or issues in that part of Cavan.
    Regarding Leitrim - many customers there have been left on the legacy old Freedom Broadband €19.99/ 2M down 128k up service. The "Proper" Net1 phone and broadband service is available across ALL of north Leitrim (and from last week Glangevlin) - the only issue here is that this costs €35 pm - although we have been offering free upgrades for this 5 year leap in technology from 2.4GHz b - to 5 Gig XPOL N - there has been "very" little takeup in North Leitrim and most people seem happy to stay on €19.99. So there are 2 sides to every story. Regarding Butlersbridge - this morning we have upgraded bandwidth into the village from 40Mb to 64 - so in the evenings things should not be contended at 3:1 !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

Net1 wrote: »
    Apart from a handwritten poster in a certain shop in Butlersbridge - Net1 are NOT aware of any problems or issues in that part of Cavan.
    Regarding Leitrim - many customers there have been left on the legacy old Freedom Broadband €19.99/ 2M down 128k up service. The "Proper" Net1 phone and broadband service is available across ALL of north Leitrim (and from last week Glangevlin) - the only issue here is that this costs €35 pm - although we have been offering free upgrades for this 5 year leap in technology from 2.4GHz b - to 5 Gig XPOL N - there has been "very" little takeup in North Leitrim and most people seem happy to stay on €19.99. So there are 2 sides to every story. Regarding Butlersbridge - this morning we have upgraded bandwidth into the village from 40Mb to 64 - so in the evenings things should not be contended at 3:1 !!!!
    I've had net1 for about 5years at first brilliant,but since November the speed is terrible and I was sick contacting them, lastime I contacted them and asked why my speed was 0.88 download and said it was like this the past few months and they told me sorry we can't for fill your needs we will supply you till the end of the month till you get a new broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭spinzes

I've been with Imagine/Wimax for about 9 or 10 months now and must say it has been great. I'm just outside Cavan town (Ballinagh Road). No limit on how much you download and up to 6 laptops can connect at any one time via the router. I'm paying €30 per month for 3MB download;

http://www.imagine.ie/wimax_broadband.html
    there most definitely is a limit on the amount you download , they say its unlimited but they have a fair use policy of about 80GB a month (a sales rep told me) but its more about your daily use if you download more than 5GB every day for 2 or 3 days in a row they will get on to you saying your effecting the service for others .....l had my speed capped twice for downloading to much , the w**kers put me down to 50Kbs until the end of the month , it was a killer , if you're not going to download much there prob the best as only because of this issue l had with them they are pretty good , speed wise

Advertisement