Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Music Industry Sues The Government For Piracy

• 12-01-2012 3:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/12/01/12/0141219/music-industry-sues-irish-government-for-piracy
    "The music industry has initiated a lawsuit against the Irish government for not having blocking laws on the books; on the theory that if blocking laws were in place then filesharing would go away. On Tuesday the music industry issued a plenary summons against the Irish government which is the first step towards making this litigation possible. This all began in October 2010 (EMI v. UPC), when an Irish judge ruled that Irish law did not permit an order to be made against an ISP requiring blocking of websites. Recently several ISPs across the European Union have been ordered by courts to block thepiratebay.org through legal maneuvers."

It looks like once again Record Companies Seek To Ban Technological Progress

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

I'd rather never listen to music again than give in to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Isn't there an EU law preventing the government to force ISP's to block content?

Anyway, who the f*ck are "The music industry"... Isn't that millions of people?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

They can sue the government all they want but I believe that the Irish government is only sticking to stay within current further European laws in this matter.

So if those doing the suing had any kop-on, they would take on the higher up organ-grinders - not the monkeys!

They are wasting their time - The Irish government default defence will be that its staying within the current European laws!
    End of story and case!

EDIT: Smash got there two minutes before me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Pretty sure that for this to further they'd have to show that blocking the site stands a chance of reducing piracy. It wont, if anything it'll make everyone a lot more savvy.
    When limewire et al went under people learned to torrent and use tor, block the sites and people will just work out a way around, tunneling or whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The blood-sucking music industry can feck off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Jesus I better hurry home and download the entire internet for free before they block it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

"The European Court of Justice has today [24/11/2011] published its judgement that.... "EU law precludes an injunction made against an internet service provider requiring it to install a system for filtering all electronic communications passing via its services which applies indiscriminately to all its customers, as a preventive measure, exclusively at its expense, and for an unlimited period.”" - ISPAI

The Music Industry can go suckle on a tit that cares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

GOD how I HATE those VULTURES !! :mad:

Every time those scum sucking bottom dwellers in the 'music industry'* start whinging,
    and yelping about how they're losing money, it gives me a boner :pac:

*a contradiction in terms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

There is always going to be piracy, no matter how much legislation and blocking methods are put in place! Unfortunately the music industry doesn't seem to know that and insist on wasting money on Court Cases, instead of innovating and coming up with alternatives for consumers for piracy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

But... Would you steal a car? :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

If there is actually a lawsuit filed then there should be names available to indicate who exactly is behind it. My guess would be billionaire ceo's of entertainment companies. Not 'The Music Industry'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

We should counter sue the music industry for inflicting Westlife on us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Seems like a waste of time, and any kind of blocking can easily be circumvented from what I understand.

Gee Bag wrote: »
    We should counter sue the music industry for inflicting Westlife on us

I think that might come under 'Inhumane Treatment!' :D

Dear Music Industry,

Regardless of if I agree with your stance or not - ye are suing in the WRONG direction ya muppets!

Sincerly,
    Biggins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALZZx1xmAzg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

I steal my music directly from youtube, what they gonna do, block youtube / google

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    I steal my music directly from youtube, what they gonna do, block youtube / google

Actually yeah. They are trying to bring in that law in the states at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

If I could download it I fúcking would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I am really only into classic rock and metal and already have all my favourite artists and tracks so the whole lot can fcuk off with themselves. :p

• Advertisement

it doesn't really matter in the end.
    If this SOPA law passes in the USA the amercians can block whatever they want globally from the primary DNS server.

They can wipe out dns names in 24 - 48 hours.

If this SOPA law passes in the USA the amercians can block whatever they want globally from the primary DNS server.

Americans don't own the internet you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭donutface

Ah jeez we've got enough problems on our plates without having to spend valuable court time dealing with your potential "loss of earnings"

Edit: Regarding SOPA, its nothing to worry about. Changing root DNS servers is simple, while it might fragment the Internet some more, we don't need the American governments permission to do so, so let them attempt to block everything they can. The more power they try to exert, the less power there will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Thankfully I still have an old double tape recorder.

smash wrote: »

But they could seriously harm the availability of information on an international level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

comedian Louis CK did the right thing and music companies could learn something from him, he put out a one off show called Live From The Beacon Theatre, its 5 of your american bucks to buy it directly from him via paypal on his website, there's no restrictions on it, no drm, you can burn it to whatever you want. and he's made over $1m from it already (a lot of which he's giving to charity). now I could easily get the same show on youtube or a torrent for the princely sum of nothing, but fcuk it, its 5 quid and I love the guy so I paid for it. if music companies werent such dicks and followed suit then they'd combat piracy themselves.

Seachmall wrote: »
    But they could seriously harm the availability of information on an international level.
    No, they can block ISP's in the states and can block sites hosted in the US. Most of these sites aren't. They're hosted in countries like Russia where there are no piracy laws like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Message to the muzak industry.

Change your fucking business model.

It's failing and no amount of bullying will stop change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

can people sue the music industry for wasting tax payer's money ?

• Advertisement

No, they can block ISP's in the states and can block sites hosted in the US. Most of these sites aren't. They're hosted in countries like Russia where there are no piracy laws like this.

Well the US ultimately have control over the DNS Root Zone, which is pretty fundamental to how we use the net.

can people sue the music industry for wasting tax payer's money ?
    I honestly think the government should counter sue for wasting government time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

krudler wrote: »
    I could easily get the same show on youtube or a torrent for the princely sum of nothing, but fcuk it, its 5 quid and I love the guy so I paid for it. if music companies werent such dicks and followed suit then they'd combat piracy themselves.

This.

Copyright and intellectual property laws as regards books and music are beginning to look very archaic.

Wrong - they can block any site from any country by removing it from the primary DNS server. Once removed the dns entry trickles to all other ISP's around the world meaning if you attempt to go to www.thepirate.org it will no longer exist unless you know the ip address in which case you can enter this into your URL and you should still get their but it won't work if you enter the dns name www.thepiratebay.org.

Are you familiar with how DNS works ?

I am talking about websites only, not p2p or FileSharing programs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

SOPA won't be passed in the US.
    GoDaddy, the domain hosting site said they were supporting it and immediately lost something like 70,000 paying users until they performed a u-turn.
    A huge number of companies and people contacted their senators to educate them on the effect of dns blocking.

What the music industry fails to realise is that hackers and pirates will always move faster than the music industry/internet.

If blacklisting sites and IP addresses worked, then we would have beaten e-mail spammers years ago.
    Instead, they can create new domains in no time.

All the while, the ISP's would be forced to maintain an every increasing list of blacklisted domains/web sites and every legitimate domain request made would be slowed down while they check if it's blacklisted or not.

To give you some idea, you've probably made at least 6 requests to your ISP's domain server just to view this one single web page.

Blacklisting domain names does not work and will deteriorate the infrastructure of the internet.

For more info listen to Security Now Podcast for general computer security news and tutorials.

Wrong - they can block any site from any country by removing it from the primary DNS server. Once removed the dns entry trickles to all other ISP's around the world meaning if you attempt to go to www.thepirate.org it will no longer exist unless you know the ip address in which case you can enter this into your URL and you should still get their but it won't work if you enter the dns name www.thepiratebay.org.

Are you familiar with how DNS works ?

I am talking about websites only, not p2p or FileSharing programs.

Do you think there is 1 primary DNS server is the world, which is located in the USA, catering for all TLD's?

• Advertisement

Maybe not but they did :

Invent it
    Govern the rules that dictate it
    They do control it to a certain extent in terms of IP allocations and DNS entries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

So why didn't the "Music Industry" sue those producing recordable tapes or recordable cds?

People have shared music using various formats for decades. The internet has only streamlined this process and the music industry has refused to evolve fast enough to cope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Apple already censors youtube results if you try to play copyrighted songs (which are easily accessible when using youtube on a pc)through the ipod touch/iphone. I was contemplating getting an iphone or itouch at some stage but that's the final nail in the coffin for me. Apple can go fúck themselves. But anyways, the point is that if apple are able to do it with their hand held devices then others can do it too.

Do you think there is 1 primary DNS server is the world, which is located in the USA, catering for all TLD's?

No but this is how I think it works, no doubt I'm wrong but here goes :

There is a primary DNS server located in the states. All DNS servers from all over the world in different countries all have the exact same DNS entry for sites.

If someone contacts an ISP in Ireland, hosts a website, it gets entered into the ISP's DNS server which ends up as an entry on the US DNS server which then trickles to the rest of the DNS servers around the world.

Hence why if someone in Russia types in www.boards.ie they can access the site because there is an entry for it on the Russian ISP's DNS server.

The russian DNS server got this entry because it upadtes it's list against the Primary DNS server in the states.

That's why if this Sopa law passes the Americans can remove a DNS entry and it will update the rest of the DNS servers around the world making a site inaccessible by DNS name.

( pretty sure that's about right )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Is this the same music industry who has been making my ears bleed on a daily basis? Counter sue perhaps.

It's a load of crap anyway. I own about 150 CDs. I'd say around 50% of them I downloaded songs from the album before buying the CD.
    Nowadays I never even download songs. Just listen on youtube...

• Advertisement

No but this is how I think it works, no doubt I'm wrong but here goes :

There is a primary DNS server located in the states.

No, there is a series of primary DNS servers worldwide.

No, there is a series of primary DNS servers worldwide.

Meh - Close enough.
    I assume they all update to the primary DNS in USA though ?

or at least there HAS to be 1 primary DNS that controls everything
    The fact that they all talk to eachother to update and match all entries across all DNS servers so users can access sites from country to the next.

Either way once SOPA hits they can shutdown websites worldwide

It can shut down access to some sites through the conventional access method (DNS).

It could also, in theory, revoke a DNS server's status if it's believed it provides or aids access to too many blacklisted sites.

Meh - Close enough.
    I assume they all update to the primary DNS in USA though ?

or at least there HAS to be 1 primary DNS that controls everything
    Nope
    The fact that they all talk to eachother to update and match all entries across all DNS servers so users can access sites from country to the next.

No, they can remove a DNS entry but then the domain owner can switch host in around 2 minutes.

Nope

No, they can remove a DNS entry but then the domain owner can switch host in around 2 minutes.

Smash - can you give me your FULL version on how DNS servers work around the world please against my theory . I would be most interested, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Smash - can you give me your FULL version on how DNS servers work around the world please against my theory . I would be most interested, thanks.
    Have the Americans blocked your access to Google?

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Have the Americans blocked your access to Google?

I can only find basic information in relation to DNS like how to setup a dns server etc.. etc..

I need / want the full story here bro

+ Smash is dissing me so i'd like to view "his version" of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

+ Smash is dissing me so i'd like to view "his version" of it
    You should put a cap in his ass.

Word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It seems the music industry has left the nation of Ireland with no choice, we need to reply with full blown war! Irish rangers should be sent on covert operations to destroy their manufacturing plants.

I can only find basic information in relation to DNS like how to setup a dns server etc.. etc..

DNS
    DNS Root Server
    DNS Root Zone

• Advertisement
Advertisement