Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Music Industry Sues The Government For Piracy

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

can people sue the music industry for wasting tax payer's money ?

Can the Irish government sue the music companies/lawyers for wasting state court time to boot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

MagicSean wrote: »
    Actually yeah. They are trying to bring in that law in the states at the moment.

I assume you mean outlawing software that converts youtube video to mp3 and downloads it ? Can't see attempting to block youtube getting very far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Duiske wrote: »
    I assume you mean outlawing software that converts youtube video to mp3 and downloads it ? Can't see attempting to block youtube getting very far.

SOPA would allow them to block both Youtube and Google, and any other site that can be used to find or download copyrighted materials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    it doesn't really matter in the end.
    If this SOPA law passes in the USA the amercians can block whatever they want globally from the primary DNS server.

They can wipe out dns names in 24 - 48 hours.

And the site can come back up, with a different name or IP address in less than 24 - 48 hours. Suck on that, Rupert f*cking Murdoch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

If the SOPA Act passes then blocking youtube will be easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

They can't do a thing, or it will be religious persecution.:P
    Sweden recognises file-sharing 'religion'

Sweden dealt a symbolic blow to the global fight against digital music and film piracy by recognising a group that promotes file-sharing across the Internet as a religion.
    One of the most wired nations in the world, Sweden has long been a battleground between those who support file-sharing and the music and film industry. The Nordic state gave birth to the world's largest file-sharing website, Pirate Bay.
    Registering the Church of Kopimism is a way to avoid "persecution", said the website of the group, which was given official recognition by the Swedish state last month.
    Kopimism's name is derived from the words "copy me" and as its website makes clear it strongly supports all forms of downloading and uploading files and sees copyright laws as violating freedom of information.
    "We believe that information is holy," said Isak Gerson, who calls himself the "spiritual leader" of a church whose key symbols are "Ctrl C" and "Ctrl V", the keyboard short cuts for copy and paste

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0112/breaking49.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

If the SOPA Act passes then blocking youtube will be easy.

First time hearing about SOPA. From a quick look at wiki, that act could be used as a tool to virtually shut down the internet, if the US government were so inclined.

First time hearing about SOPA. From a quick look at wiki, that act could be used as a tool to virtually shut down the internet, if the US government were so inclined.

This guy gives a good explanation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

Something's seriously ****ed up if the Irish government can be sued for not having such a law ? ? ? ? ? ?

How can the so called 'music industry' do this? Why can't the relevant minister say "yeah, you're right, there is no such law, now **** off and don't bother me again."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭sausagehead

The_Thing wrote: »
    Something's seriously ****ed up if the Irish government can be sued for not having such a law ? ? ? ? ? ?

How can the so called 'music industry' do this? Why can't the relevant minister say "yeah, you're right, there is no such law, now **** off and don't bother me again."

more likely to say "whats in it for me"

politicians are corrupt bastards!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Maedbhish

They inflicted Justin Bieber on us.. The least they can do it let us steal some tunes! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

This guy gives a good explanation

These ****ing corporations. Freedom sapping, blood sucking, innovation killing scum.

This needs to be fought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭overshoot

Seachmall wrote: »
    "The European Court of Justice has today [24/11/2011] published its judgement that.... "EU law precludes an injunction made against an internet service provider requiring it to install a system for filtering all electronic communications passing via its services which applies indiscriminately to all its customers, as a preventive measure, exclusively at its expense, and for an unlimited period.”" - ISPAI

The Music Industry can go suckle on a tit that cares.
    so if an EU law, means Ireland has no choice in the matter, wont it simply be a case of showing up, here you go judge, not our fault and they know this. oh ps we should also get our costs as this was a waste of everyones time. might be good for us, will pay a few people in the attorney general's office.
    the problem is anyway they are looking for search engines to be shut down... havnt seen them take on google yet. they would just rather throw a strop then cut their prices in the wake of everyone realising how much of a rip off they are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

The funny thing is despite the music industry saying their losing loads of money to filesharing they still seem to have plenty to fritter away on endless court cases.

Perhaps if they spent that money on finding and using more innovative ways to prmote and sell music there wouldnt be any need for this crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭sausagehead

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

The_Thing wrote: »

Our Governement & Politicians are too used to bending over now and accept anything up the ar$e.

I was thinking the same thing.

The american music industry wants to sue the Irish government.
    Ah would ye ever F**K off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    I steal my music directly from youtube, what they gonna do, block youtube / google

Actually...with the SOPA act in America, they will (or at least try)....assuming it becomes law. The Music Industry hates Youtube...mostly.

Also, if they block thepiratebay, then another site will replace it, and then another etc.

If they win we can give them NAMA. It's all we got.

Advertisement