Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rumour or fact??! Larry Murphy in Eiscir Meadows??

• 12-01-2012 4:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

Just heard this today, and im wondering is it the rumour mill in overdrive or can anyone shed some light on it? :eek::eek:

If he is i think the women of the town need to be made aware! :eek::eek:

I know he was rumoured to be in Portlaoise last year, so who knows. :confused:

Anyone heard anything??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Larry-Murphy-Sightings-Tracker/105427629514858

Galway seems to have the most sightings recently.
    Make of that what you will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Only an hour from here to Galway, and maybe he likes to take trips to the west, but is living elsewhere.

Ive been told this information is 100% fact, and it came from a reliable source, but im also well aware of how people love to take these things as gospel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

He's some man for one man. He must have lived in every estate in the country at this stage.

He's not even in the country.

testicle wrote: »
    He's some man for one man. He must have lived in every estate in the country at this stage.

He's not even in the country.

Thats what i thought, that he was living in Spain.

Still, no harm highlighting it, if its not true then great, but if it is then at least people can be aware. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Cherrycola wrote: »
    Thats what i thought, that he was living in Spain.

Still, no harm highlighting it, if its not true then great, but if it is then at least people can be aware. ;)

Well there is harm in highlighting it incorrectly. What happens when some innocent gets beaten up(or worse) for being wrongly identified as being Larry Murphy in an estate in Offaly when Larry is living a thousand miles away in Spain.

• Advertisement

Hence the reason i asked if it was rumour or fact?! :rolleyes:

And if thats what happens anyone someone questions his whereabouts or discusses a sighting of him, then there must be thousands of innocent people being beaten up in estates around the country, judging by the amount of discussion on that Facebook site about him and where he's living/been seen lately.

Christ, you cant even ask a question about whether a rapist could be living in your town for fear of inciting hatred and encouraging angry lynch mobs?!

I just wish the press would report more about all these angry mobs chasing larry murphy all over Ireland. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Cherrycola wrote: »
    Hence the reason i asked if it was rumour or fact?! :rolleyes:

And if thats what happens anyone someone questions his whereabouts or discusses a sighting of him, then there must be thousands of innocent people being beaten up in estates around the country, judging by the amount of discussion on that Facebook site about him and where he's living/been seen lately.

Christ, you cant even ask a question about whether a rapist could be living in your town for fear of inciting hatred and encouraging angry lynch mobs?!

I just wish the press would report more about all these angry mobs chasing larry murphy all over Ireland. :rolleyes:

I think you're over-reacting to @syklops concerns. There is plenty of evidence of dangerous activity wherever Larry murphy is alleged to be http://www.independent.ie/national-news/gardai-disperse-angry-crowds-on-the-trail-of-rapist-2295550.html

But trust me, I sympathise with your concerns also. I knew Fiona pender well and I also have a good friend who believes she saw Larry Murphy in NE Laois about 2 weeks max after he was released. I was close by and she may have been correct. i caught a passing glance.

We all just have to be measured & careful in our responses yet guarded too. There are plenty of predators out there and you are correct to be concerned.

To be fair that report from the Indo, was at the height of the publicity after his release. Stories and reports surrounding him have all but disappeared from mainstream media since then, and if anything that should make it easier for him to go about his business unnoticed.

I know if someone else had heard this rumour i too would have appreciated them sharing it, regardless of whether it was just a rumour or fact, as it brings to our attention again that we need to be mindful of ALL weirdos who could be living in our vicinity, not just possible high profile ones. I know if i heard a girl was attacked by this scumbag, having heard this rumour and NOT shared what i heard, i would feel awful. So in my mind, the very slim possibility of a random attack against an innocent person who may bear a resemblance to Larry Murphy is not a reason to keep what i heard to myself.

And just to note, i havent said he is living here, i have simply shared what i heard and asked if anyone else had heard the same. I dont think there is anything wrong with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,119 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

What's the story with Larry Murphy. Hasn't our judicial system deemed that he has served his debt to society and therefore allowed to live his life as a free reformed man. How can we expect that to happen when he have hysteria at the mere sight of him. I had one person say today, and I quote, "what if my car breaks down and he comes out of the ditch?". Seriously. Out of the ditch. It's illogical thinking and this type of hysteria that leads to a potentially reformed man not being able to live his life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Oddjob

I also have a good friend who believes she saw Larry Murphy in NE Laois about 2 weeks max after he was released. I was close by and she may have been correct. i caught a passing glance.

My God, your friend thinks she might have seen him and lived to tell the tale. :eek: And you, what if you'd got a glimpse of his ear?, who knows what might have happened?

I can't believe this monster is allowed to roam the country giving hysterical, bored housewives rumours to spread on Facebook.

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »
    What's the story with Larry Murphy. Hasn't our judicial system deemed that he has served his debt to society and therefore allowed to live his life as a free reformed man. How can we expect that to happen when he have hysteria at the mere sight of him. I had one person say today, and I quote, "what if my car breaks down and he comes out of the ditch?". Seriously. Out of the ditch. It's illogical thinking and this type of hysteria that leads to a potentially reformed man not being able to live his life.

I think the issue with him is that its well documented that he isnt infact reformed, he refused treatment in prison, and when questioned about the injuries he inflicted on the young woman in Carlow, he simply replied 'well she's alive isnt she' and 'she was lucky'

I suppose its very easy to be blasé about him, and joke and laugh and have a sneer when you dont fit the demographic for a potential victim! ie not female! Or dont live in or near the area where is reported to be.

I fully believe if this guy gets the opportunity he will attack again. According to reports from his time in Amsterdam, he was noted as spending a lot of time alone, drinking in pubs, and approaching young women......he may have served his time, but i fail to see how that guarantees that he is a reformed person?!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Colours

How can we expect that to happen when he have hysteria at the mere sight of him. I had one person say today, and I quote, "what if my car breaks down and he comes out of the ditch?". Seriously. Out of the ditch. It's illogical thinking and this type of hysteria that leads to a potentially reformed man not being able to live his life.

Has Larry Murphy expressed any remorse for the crimes he was charged for?

Quazzie do you think that he would have eventually let that woman go whom he had abducted, driven up to a remote area in the moutains, tied up and repeatedly raped if he hadn't been interrupted by those hunters who rescued her? If those hunters hadn't come on the scene I think he'd still be in prison.

I am of the opinion that perpetrators of violent sexual assualts like this should be micro tagged so that their movements can be continously tracked. I can't understand how and why the Irish authorities just let him dissolve into thin air after he left jail. I assume he was put on the sex offenders register. What is the point of having this kind of system in place if these deviants are then left completely to their own devices.

Surely Ireland also has a responsibility to track his movements so that they can warn the countries which he visits of his presence.

Just to be clear. I know very little of the man only that he was convicted o a crime and he served his time and was released.

What I do know is that hysteria doesn't help anyone as was pointed out by skylops above.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 dublinbogger

larry murphy is not in tullamore trust me and i would love to get the scare mongerer that started the rumours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭bearhugs

How do you know that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 chronic_candy

@TESTICLE how do u know hes in spain?he left spain and came back to ireland since then the guards do not no where he is..so what makes u think he is still in spain??

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mrtulachmhor

I know of Barry Murphy living up in Eiscar if thats any help:confused::confused::confused:

Oddjob wrote: »
    My God, your friend thinks she might have seen him and lived to tell the tale. :eek: And you, what if you'd got a glimpse of his ear?, who knows what might have happened?

I can't believe this monster is allowed to roam the country giving hysterical, bored housewives rumours to spread on Facebook.

Not sure who you think is a housewife? My friend is in her early 60's and female and was justifiably afraid as there was a guy with his hood up who was staring in through a window at her into a lonely, isolated building and yes, I saw him and he matched him in build and in furtiveness. He ran off when I went out towards the door to greet him. I'm 13 stone, 5' 11", can knock out 100 press-ups at just shy of 40; so probably four times as fighting fit and strong as you ever dreamed you could be, and I've decked a few people when I've needed to in the last few years (people who intimidated others); so your attitude is very unbecoming. Who are you to judge the fear of women? Are you a woman? I reckon you're a bit of a keyboard warrior and you would be f**k all good to any decent woman should a threatening situation arise. Your smart-arse ways tell me all I need to know, Oddball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭puzzle factory

yer all giving larry ****e the whole time,he's deadly nice ole lad,twas the drink that drove him bannas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

yer all giving larry ****e the whole time,he's deadly nice ole lad,twas the drink that drove him bannas.

Ha someone actually posted that on the Facebook page.

• Advertisement

I'm a fair person and believe in reforming people. I think too many young lads go to jail that should have got community service. It would keep them out of the 'school' of crime and also rehabilitate them back into society via the mechanism of social mores. I studied criminology under the foremost Irish authority, Fr Micheal McGreil.

BUT .... I am also a vigilante mind. I believe that certain types of criminal are simply never welcome anywhere again. This is universal. The people of West Wicklow, Larry's homeland, or the people of this thread are no different in that regard. Anyone who has studied the night that Larry Murphy was eventually captured knows that there are substantial links to the disappearances of other girls. It is flippant and disrespectful (I don't mean you here @Quazzie your post is well-intentioned) of some of the posters here to discuss the risks of Larry Murphy in any community without having internalised the facts and the trends arising from circumstantial evidence thereof. I think it would be a brave and foolhardy community that would knowingly allow Larry Murphy to live among them and attempt to rehabilitate him. I'll leave that to the 12 disciples crowd; me, I'm more of a Michael Collins '12 Apostles' man. Some things can not be righted. Larry lives by the sword, by all accounts....

charlemont wrote: »
    Ha someone actually posted that on the Facebook page.
    that was me :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

that was me :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Cheap thrills wha? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Oddjob

An Ri rua wrote: »
    I'm a fair person and believe in reforming people. I think too many young lads go to jail that should have got community service. It would keep them out of the 'school' of crime and also rehabilitate them back into society via the mechanism of social mores. I studied criminology under the foremost Irish authority, Fr Micheal McGreil.

BUT .... I am also a vigilante mind. I believe that certain types of criminal are simply never welcome anywhere again. This is universal. The people of West Wicklow, Larry's homeland, or the people of this thread are no different in that regard. Anyone who has studied the night that Larry Murphy was eventually captured knows that there are substantial links to the disappearances of other girls. It is flippant and disrespectful (I don't mean you here @Quazzie your post is well-intentioned) of some of the posters here to discuss the risks of Larry Murphy in any community without having internalised the facts and the trends arising from circumstantial evidence thereof. I think it would be a brave and foolhardy community that would knowingly allow Larry Murphy to live among them and attempt to rehabilitate him. I'll leave that to the 12 disciples crowd; me, I'm more of a Michael Collins '12 Apostles' man. Some things can not be righted. Larry lives by the sword, by all accounts....

So when you wake up in the morning and wonder if you posted any total bollocks the night before.

no 11cans of harp and severe boredum.

I know of Barry Murphy living up in Eiscar if thats any help:confused::confused::confused:

I'd say he'll be delighted at your sensitive inclusion of his name in this thread. Fame at all costs.....

i actually no a man called massey fergusion,thats if were goin down that lane.

So when you wake up in the morning and wonder if you posted any total bollocks the night before.

Nah spuds, off the gargle for a fortnight now. Fully lucid. Unlike you, I'm in charge of what I write. I think it, I act it, I say it. I'm a principled Republican. I intimidate bullies wherever I come across them. I am happy with what I've posted. You might want to review your conscience though. Did I press your buttons as you realised how much you embarrass yourself? Self-hate is an awful thing Nutball. It causes us to lash out at others. Don't be afraid grasshopper. There will always be real men like me available to protect pants pissers who prefer to laugh at the fear of women and older women. Its pathetic, but you are not alone; there's a lot of 'men' out there like that.

i actually no a man called massey fergusion,thats if were goin down that lane.

hehe! I was looking up something about dowsing and I came across a guy called Rod Dowse, on a facebook link! That's like Seymour Butts.........so it is........

• Advertisement

Nah spuds, off the gargle for a fortnight now. Fully lucid. Unlike you, I'm in charge of what I write. I think it, I act it, I say it. I'm a principled Republican. I intimidate bullies wherever I come across them. I am happy with what I've posted. You might want to review your conscience though. Did I press your buttons as you realised how much you embarrass yourself? Self-hate is an awful thing Nutball. It causes us to lash out at others. Don't be afraid grasshopper. There will always be real men like me available to protect pants pissers who prefer to laugh at the fear of women and older women. Its pathetic, but you are not alone; there's a lot of 'men' out there like that.

i managed 12days....................

By the way, I'm sorry if it was too long of a post for you? I recognise that you might be having difficulties even being a keyboard warrior when I glance at your lack of punctuation and syntax.

I see here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76503859 that at the same time as posting here you were having difficulty with someone else's posts as well. 194? Boo-hoo. Its hard to type fast, isn't it?

Sigh....:rolleyes:

i managed 12days....................

MIne was flu-related @puzzle factory! No way I'd manage 12 days otherwise. I'd be posting through my hoop like Nutball if I had the usual dose of Arthur Scargyll...... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

BUT .... I am also a vigilante mind.The people of West Wicklow, Larry's homeland, or the people of this thread are no different in that regard.

Some of the good people of Baltinglass should be ashamed of themselves

When the bould Larry was released there were rumours much like this thread that he would move home to Wicklow to stay with his brother.

So the people with a vigilante mind like yourself decided to park outside the brothers home, to shout at him on the street and to point out his wife and children after mass. Except the story was rubbish and Larry never moved there.
    Hard men upsetting children

You're mostly likely to be attacked by someone you know. So concentrate on your family friends and never mind threads like this

Now, was I telling you about the van cruising around Offaly snatching children? ;)
    It's a white van, always white. Friend of a friend told me

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Some of the good people of Baltinglass should be ashamed of themselves

When the bould Larry was released there were rumours much like this thread that he would move home to Wicklow to stay with his brother.

So the people with a vigilante mind like yourself decided to park outside the brothers home, to shout at him on the street and to point out his wife and children after mass. Except the story was rubbish and Larry moved there.
    Hard men upsetting children

You're mostly likely to be attacked by someone you know. So concentrate on your family friends and never mind threads like this

Now, was I telling you about the van cruising around Offaly snatching children? ;)
    It's a white van, always white. Friend of a friend told me

Obviously attacking his wife or family is a low, cowardly thing to do. Like shooting a man's dog. They weren't vigilantes, they were rabble. I think you should be able to see that. That's a valid but tired argument.

Yes, you are most likely to be attacked by someone you know. Most rape is opportunistic and the attacker is known. But serial rapists and serial killers DO NOT simply attack people they know. You're confusing issues and probabilities.

There was a van actually. Down by ferbane. He was caught. Well observed my man.

o ****e went off topic there,yaaa larry murphy.

Keep workin on the post count my man! Another few cans. But watch out for Nutball, he no like high post count, nor syntaks nor spelyn....

• Advertisement

my eyes are peeled,numro 12,feeling quezzy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭DangerMouse27

Im not sure vigilantism is the right way to go with any scenario as mob mentality will almost certainly prevail and innocents like a family member will be involved.

Should Larry be let live in the country? No. i just hope that if it is Larry Murphy that is in Tullamore, then with some furore and pages like this, then he will be moved again, and in the next town and the next town and so on.

Id rather take the chance and have him well away from this country when his movements with other disappearance are so suspect.

You cant rehabilitate that man with hymns and cups of coffee. If he is here..il do a small community service for just one hit!

Im not sure vigilantism is the right way to go with any scenario as mob mentality will almost certainly prevail and innocents like a family member will be involved.

Should Larry be let live in the country? No. i just hope that if it is Larry Murphy that is in Tullamore, then with some furore and pages like this, then he will be moved again, and in the next town and the next town and so on.

Id rather take the chance and have him well away from this country when his movements with other disappearance are so suspect.

You cant rehabilitate that man with hymns and cups of coffee. If he is here..il do a small community service for just one hit!
    Your first sentence and last sentence are a direct contradiction of each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Surely the boys in blue must have some idea where he is, no? I mean, he came back for a new passport, surely they'd know if he left again. How is he supporting himself also? Id say the gaurds have a close eye on him.... Or not, wouldn be surprised either way. If he was in EM, im sure the neighbours would have informed the gaurds or at least it be all around town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Dusty87 wrote: »
    Surely the boys in blue must have some idea where he is, no? I mean, he came back for a new passport, surely they'd know if he left again. How is he supporting himself also? Id say the gaurds have a close eye on him.... Or not, wouldn be surprised either way. If he was in EM, im sure the neighbours would have informed the gaurds or at least it be all around town.

From what I'm hearing the gardai in Tullamore are having a lot of their time wasted over the past few days because of this rumour.

• Advertisement

From what I'm hearing the gardai in Tullamore are having a lot of their time wasted over the past few days because of this rumour.

The same thing happened in Celbridge, and Gardai had to come out and say no he is not in the area. Would be no harm if they did the same here, as by making no statement on it, they are unknowingly adding fuel to the fire, as people will automatically think they are hiding something, as i would imagine if he IS in Tullamore, they cannot make a statement saying so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

I agree. These sort of rumours do nobody any good. For what it's worth, I'd be surprised if he was living anywhere in Ireland. His face is so well known that he can't go anywhere without being recognised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Heard this here first but I got a few texts yesterday from different people all telling me he was in Tullamore.So, the rumour is going strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Tonyyy17

i heard he's living upstairs in the lantern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭DangerMouse27

Your first sentence and last sentence are a direct contradiction of each other.

Im talking about the mob mentality in context...

Im living in Tullamore and il be honest, there has been an increased Garda presence of late in the town..in the past two weeks. Those that are on here from the area will attest to this. Maybe its because of the rumours.

Who knows.

Im glad of this scaremongering. People can never be too carefull and if a couple of women are more carefull about walking on their own at night then all be it. Plenty of strange feckers out there despite the Larry Murphys of this world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Herself actually mentioned it to me during the week about the amount of gaurds around town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

Must be the only person in Offaly who didn't hear this, or maybe nobody loves me enough to tell me to be careful :/

It's creepy -- tullamores gotten really scary, larry murphy or no larry murphy. I'll tell ya what, some of those scum from Arden view (not sayinf anything about Arden I'm referring to a particular family/convict) I'm not sure if I'd rather bump into larry or him, 6 of 1 half a dozen of another.

Tullamores not a town I feel safe in anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

I'm not a nervous person but Larry Murphy scares the sh1t out of me:( He is just so creepy looking and yes I definitely believe he'll do it again. Reckon he'll get plastic surgery done soon because everyone knows what he looks like his chin is especially identifiable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭xxlauraxxox

his mde his way down to the tipp limerick area now :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement