Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting remotely to an ASA 5510 and adding a static route

Options
  • 12-01-2012 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I don't have much networking experience, but am looking to connect to a remote router ( have ip address ) and add a static route on a specific port. It is to allow a database on a virtual server transfer data through the router.

Ive been googling all afternoon and cant find anything. Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

If its set up correctly its unlikely to have access to it on the external line. You can try a telnet and ssh connection if you want.

Then it gets a bit more complicated. Is it just a default external route or a specific one.

Example of assigning a default route in Cisco enabled mode.

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Serial0/1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Thanks Cuddlesworth.

Telnet or SSH doesn't work from my workstation, when I get back in in the morning I'll try it from another machine/ different subnet.

The command I need is to allow a specific host/ Virtual Server a route through the router on specific port - so it might be something like

ip route add 10.x.x.x 255.255.255.0 int0 192.168.x.x 255.255.x.x port 223

Of course the syntax there is completely wrong but as a means of further explaining what I'm looking to do ( i think )

I should also add its a private host looking for a route out to the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

@rocstar. With the greatest respect, I don't think you should be doing this if you don't have Networking (ASA) experience. Its too easy to make a complete mess of things and knock off the router..

It might be best to hire someone to do the work or get a maintenance contract, I know you might not be able this time and sometimes you need a fix now...but the worst case scenario for this site is that you lose the firewall completely.

Hope it works out ok for you.

You're right. I'll sort something out - thanks for your time :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement