Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Monitor/Tv for gaming

Options
  • 12-01-2012 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I intend to get my hands on an Xbox 360 in the near future. I have not played since I sold my first gen xbox six yrs ago. Back then I played on any old tv but this time I want something a little better. So I want some opinions and advice please.

Ideally I want a flatscreen and max 32" as thats all the room I have but it will suffice. As it would be for Xbox, watching DVD's and the odd bit of streaming what would you recommend? Would I be ok getting a cheap model like a hanspree perhaps or go with a brand such as sony or panasonic. Should I go with plasma, LED or LCD? A tv or a monitor?

I want to keep price as low as I possibly can.

All advice welcome

cheers

frAG

MODS: I posted here as wanted the view of xbox user specifically but if you think I would get a better responce elsewhere then feel free to do your thang!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

There is a huge select of TVs to choose from nowadays.

Do you want 3D functionality?
    Is there any particular size you want?
    What's your price range? (what's your max?)
    Do you need HDMI, scart ports, component ports, vga or dvi ports?
    Do you want it to have inbuilt speakers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

How far from the TV do you plan on being?

In other words, do you plan on having the screen on the other side of the room and you sat on the bed or do you plan on having it on a desk right in front of you?

These things will determine the size you should go for.

You don't want the screen too big or too small. Too big and too close, you'll end up looking around the screen which is no good, too small and too far away... obvious enough really!

For me, 22" at the desk I'm sat at and 42" in the sittingroom with a distance of perhaps 12-14 foot from TV to couch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

There is a huge select of TVs to choose from nowadays.

Do you want 3D functionality?
    Is there any particular size you want?
    What's your price range? (what's your max?)
    Do you need HDMI, scart ports, component ports, vga or dvi ports?
    Do you want it to have inbuilt speakers?

Ahhhhhh don't confuse me ha ha.

All il be doing is playing console, watching DVDs etc. maybe in the future I may hook it up to DVD player or sky box if I move it to sitting room but for now it will be in my room.

Usual tv speakers will do or if the option to hook it either to my stereo or 5.1 system I would not say no.

Price range about 250 max. Max size 32" as I will be no futher than 5-6 ft from it.

Don't care for 3d.

Thanks

frAg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

You ain't getting 32" for €250 as your maximum budget! You might get some sort of budget brand entry level piece of crap on sale but it'd be a waste of your money.

For that budget, get yourself a decent quality 22"-24" LCD TV or a nice 22"-24" LCD monitor and a gaming headset for the sound!

Here's my suggestion:

http://www.dabs.ie/products/viewsonic-vx2453mh-led-24--widescreen-2ms-1920-x-1080-hdmi-vga-led-monitor-with-speakers-7HLX.html?refs=52980000-428550000-42940000-54290000-50869&src=3

+

http://www.limexb360.co.uk/product/Turtle_Beach_Earforce_X11_TB-EF-X11

I use the 22" version of this monitor for my PC an find it really good but it's speakers aren't the best though. However, with the headset, you can crank the sound up and not upset everyone else in the house!

I've mounted a 22" LCD on a desk mounted swing arm that I picked up in Lidl for about €40 and it allows me to swing a gaming LCD out from the desk over me while I stretch out on a recliner.

All you have to do then is get a comfy chair and stool and you're set!

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

How about this monitor? It's brilliant value and it's full hd, and 3D ready (if you want it in the future).

• Advertisement
Advertisement