Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X Box CD Drive Replacement

Options
  • 12-01-2012 5:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi, Wonder ing can anybody help. The cd drive on my x box is knackered and its utside warranty. My brother has a old x box whick has the red ring of death that he doesn't want & he said I can have the cd drive from it. Is it a straight forward swap or is there more to it??

Thanks

D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

It's a little more complicated than that, Microsoft will detect the different drive and ban your console. You could, ring xbox, get a quote for a repair. Open it up yourself, and try clean the dvd drive (it could be dust on the laser). OR you could bring it to a repair shop and get it repaired there.

There is a workaround to get your brother's drive working in your xbox but i'd believe it'd be more hassle than it's worth (it'd require you to flash the old DVD drive's firmware onto the new DVD drive)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

Best place is take this to the Modding forum. This is a simple procedure for them and they'll easily guide you through it.

Good bunch of guys too.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=528

Advertisement