Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Declining an offer of council housing

Options
  • 12-01-2012 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭

mods pls move if in wrong place.
    my question is whats the situation if you get an offer of a council house, if your gettin rent allowance. say if the house isnt reasonible for u, can u regect that offer,and hope for another more suitable house to come along, or do u have to accept the first offer, otherwise you'll get taken off list and the rent allowance will be cancelled???. thanks for replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

hadepsx wrote: »
    mods pls move if in wrong place.
    my question is whats the situation if you get an offer of a council house, if your gettin rent allowance. say if the house isnt reasonible for u, can u regect that offer,and hope for another more suitable house to come along, or do u have to accept the first offer, otherwise you'll get taken off list and the rent allowance will be cancelled???. thanks for replies.
    If you are offered a house or flat that you do not want, you can refuse it. However, if the local authority thinks that you do not have a good reason for refusing the offer of the house, it may reduce your priority on the waiting list, particularly if you refuse more than one offer.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/local_authority_and_social_housing/applying_for_local_authority_housing.html

You are also correct regarding rent allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭hadepsx

so u think rent allow, will be cancelled even if u reject the first offer???

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

hadepsx wrote: »
    so u think rent all, will be cancelled even if u reject the first offer???
    In my experience, it depends both on the reason for refusal and the local authority offering the house.

You should contact the council and ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If you live in town A and have all your work, social & personal, school, medical connections in that town, it might not be unreasonable to decline an offer in town B if the transport connections are poor

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Victor wrote: »
    If you live in town A and have all your work, social & personal, school, medical connections in that town, it might not be unreasonable to decline an offer in town B if the transport connections are poor

Sorry but I dont buy it Victor. This view of self entitlement is a cancer on our society.

If you cant afford to put a roof over your head fine as a society we should ensure we can put you in accomadation.

But to think you should be able to pick and choose becasue your friends dont live close, or it might mean having to move your child to a new school or change your doctor etc is outrageous.

I dont know the answer to the OP's question but I sure as heck would hope that if they turned down council accomadation that they would be waiting a hell of a long time to even be considered again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

D3PO wrote: »
    Sorry but I dont buy it Victor. This view of self entitlement is a cancer on our society.

If you cant afford to put a roof over your head fine as a society we should ensure we can put you in accomadation.

But to think you should be able to pick and choose becasue your friends dont live close, or it might mean having to move your child to a new school or change your doctor etc is outrageous.

I dont know the answer to the OP's question but I sure as heck would hope that if they turned down council accomadation that they would be waiting a hell of a long time to even be considered again.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭paddles

+1

People are years waiting on council housing. Count yourself v lucky!

Advertisement