Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography!

• 12-01-2012 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

Well everyone! :)

I was stressing out about the probability that I'll fail geography, and I was wondering what you all thought the best method to study it was?

Do you rather learning essays, or do you just go straight in and learn the sections, and make essays up by yourself, rather than ones teachers give?

How do you all learn the essays if this is the method you use?

Any feedback appreciated!
    Happy studying! :P

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I prefer to do a 30m question and learn the points off, its like learning from the book but more focused :) I've yet to really focus on learning them off properly but it helps to do it in bullet points when you know each point is an SRP, and if not just remember it like a story, e.g the plates do this, then do that. For regional its like a list of what influences each sector, e.g climate/relief/soils/drainage for primary :)

after reading over this post i realize how badly written it is, sorry :pac: basically i do it in essay style by remembering the points as a list or as a sequence of events.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Manic2

Haha no I think it's written fine! :P

Thanks, I was getting worried that if I learn off loads of essays and the SRP's then if a question comes up in the paper that's similar to one I've learned, but not the exact same, I wouldn't be able to apply it or anything. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Ah yeah I know how you feel! I guess a good example would be "How humans interact with the rock cycle" but last year's question was that "and how they benefit economically". You could talk all about, for example, quarrying or geothermal energy and thats half the SRPs then the rest just come naturally by linking back I think - e.g "the hot water is pumped to houses" so the economic benefit is no energy is needed to heat the water :) Or quarrying, "humans interact with the rock cycle by extracting rocks such as x, y and z. we benefit economically from this as we can use them for building etc".

Really if you learn off an answer you might have to jig it around a bit, but then again you might not have to at all! But if you just learn off points you'll always have to think harder about it in my view. :P

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 33 Geo20Limerick

Its only January, so you can solve your worries fast :D
    If i were you this is how i would approach,

Forget the notion of this "SRP" business, they are really misleading! people think 15 srps is 15 points, WHICH IS NOT! A page and a quarter is required for a 30marker, but i suggest write more if you want to shine as an honours canditate.

For physical geography make sure and know the following:

Formation of erosion feature and deposition feature (Each individually as 30m as they could soon specifically ask erosion or depostion)
    Human interference with surface processes
    Sedimentary rocks
    Metamorphic rocks (Igneous came up last year)
    Rock type and distinctive landscape
    Human interaction with the rock cycle.
    Karst feature subterranean and surface feature.

(from 2006 - 2011 by just studying that you would have been sorted in the exam)
    Other physical areas to then look at
    forces at plate margins
    plate tectonics in relation to volcanoes earthquakes fold mountains.
    folding and faulting etc.

Regional!
    physical, primary, sec, tertiarty in
    Irish
    European
    Subcontinental region

learn for both core and peripheral as last year they asked for agriculture in two irish regions.
    learn culture/urban growth and eu expansion

Learn your elective accoridingly. practive map questions.!

option question have either 3 or 4 distinctive paragraphs!!

If your teacher gives u sample essays, use them if u want or guidelines to your own sample eassys and just add a few things.

Advertisement