Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Real VNC - Android phone > Huawei E586 > PC

Options
  • 12-01-2012 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭

I had a few euro left over on a 3V card, I went and purchased Real VNC on the Android Market..

My set up:

Android phone> Huawei E586 > USB lead to PC > PC

I'm viewing the PC Desktop through the Huawei E586, on my Android phone.

The DHCP Server seems to be on by default, with the Huawei unit, I presume that's the main component needed. I've changed the scope of the Firewall Exception for VNC Server Free Edition for Win32, on the PC, to 'My network (subnet) only'.

I'm looking for some hand holding here.. is it 'safe enough' to use the free version of the VNC Server locally?

Are there any other issues\settings to look out for when using Real VNC with Mifi like units?

New to this, as I didn't think the Huawei E586 had the scope to handle activity like this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Thread moved to Nets & Comms. I think it's more appropriate here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

@Amalgam,

Sorry, what exactly are you trying to do :)

Are you trying to access your PC from the Internet or to Access your PC from your sitting room with the PC in the bedroom?

If you are just trying to access your PC from your sitting room, then I wouldn't have a problem with it all. Your only passing traffic on the inside of the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

From the sitting room.

Does this exist at all? A plugin of some sort that shows what is downloading on the desktop I'm viewing. Not just shows, but a window that focuses just on that, the downloads progress?

Ideally, Firefox compatible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

@Amalgam,

Sorry, what exactly are you trying to do :)

Are you trying to access your PC from the Internet or to Access your PC from your sitting room with the PC in the bedroom?

If you are just trying to access your PC from your sitting room, then I wouldn't have a problem with it all. Your only passing traffic on the inside of the network.

It's a usb dongle, i assume there is no local network other than the pc it's connected to.

Amalgam wrote: »
    From the sitting room.

Does this exist at all? A plugin of some sort that shows what is downloading on the desktop I'm viewing. Not just shows, but a window that focuses just on that, the downloads progress?

Ideally, Firefox compatible.

Downloading how? In a web browser or a download software? Some download managers have web login which would be more in line with what you need. VNC may not work great on 3G

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

i can check my pc using tightvnc with my iphone.

I just need to know what my external IP is to be able to connect to it.

some portforwarding on the router to move 5500,5800 and 5900 ports to the proper PC on my internal network.

open a browser with java and go to MyExternalIP:5800 and i get a log in prompt from tightvnc.

This is what i used to set it up
    http://www.tightvnc.com/faq.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    It's a usb dongle, i assume there is no local network other than the pc it's connected to.

Pretty sure these MiFis are more like mini routers.

Alamgam, yes, in the scheme of things it's safe enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Zab wrote: »
    Pretty sure these MiFis are more like mini routers.

Alamgam, yes, in the scheme of things it's safe enough.

Why is he connecting it by usb? :confused:
    Amalgam wrote: »
    My set up:

Android phone> Huawei E586 > USB lead to PC > PC

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

To power it from the PC. I just need the wifi part for phone and tablet, in the same room.

Mifi is stuck to the window in a cradle, I just pluck it out and pocket it, when going walkies..

Advertisement