Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a timber frame house

• 12-01-2012 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi everyone, I'm in the process of hoping to buy my first house. I have looked at older houses but feel there's alot of electrical and plumbing and heating issues. I have now viewed 2 houses that are about 6 years old, both timber frame houses. I have no building experience and am looking for advice regarding buying a timber frame house?? good or bad idea?? pro's and cons??
    thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

On the theory side, there is little difference. Personally, I would prefer a situation where the external walls and party walls (the wall between you and the neighbours) were of block, brick or concrete construction.

However, if done properly, there is nothing wrong with a timber framed house. As the property is 6 years old, it is long enough for any settlement issues to have become obvious and for plumbing / electrical or similar issues to be resolved.

Be sure to get someone to check the property out professionally (preferably a building surveyor). Be suspicious of any fresh paint or other new work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

As victor says above beware of fresh paint etc and have a good look for any signs of mould.. not a huge problem if there is, but it can be a sign of things to come, and if adequate ventilation is provided for.

Both timber frame and block built have their advantages and disadvantages.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

I wonder do we often wind up at odds in this country when someone mentions a "timer frame" house?

My understanding of a timber frame house is one where there are two leaves to the walls tied together with stainless steel strapping.

The inner leaf of the house is made of timber, usually (but not always) pre-fabricated in a factory and built onsite on a concrete pad. This inner leaf contains all the wall insulation and services; plumbing. electrics etc.

The outer leaf of a timber-frame house can be of block, brick or timber construction provides structural rigidity and weather-proofing for the timber frame.

This is not the same as a log-home which is what I think most people in Ireland mean when they say timber frame house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

Sorry to butt in on this thread but is sound insulation particularly an issue with timber-framed houses? Or is it just a symptom of the houses that got thrown up over the past decade or so? I ask because I've been in timber-framed houses which seem to have zero soundproofing. An awful lot carries through the walls from next door. In contrast, I currently live in an older concrete-built semi-D and don't hear all that much from next door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

mathepac wrote: »
    This is not the same as a log-home which is what I think most people in Ireland mean when they say timber frame house.
    Nobody (but the confused) thinks log-home when timber-frame is mentioned.
    cymbaline wrote: »
    Sorry to butt in on this thread but is sound insulation particularly an issue with timber-framed houses? Or is it just a symptom of the houses that got thrown up over the past decade or so? I ask because I've been in timber-framed houses which seem to have zero soundproofing. An awful lot carries through the walls from next door. In contrast, I currently live in an older concrete-built semi-D and don't hear all that much from next door.
    I was concerned about this with a semi-detached house that friends bought. I stood next door and shouted my head off while they stood ont he other side of the wall and they heard nothing. They still don't hear the neighbours.

I would be more concerned with timber framed buildings other than houses, but they seem to work. Lots of timber-framed hotels out there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I've a concrete cinder block wall between me and the neighbours- and can hear every little thing. Its to do with a lack of adequate insulation between adjoining properties- nothing whatsoever to do with whether its concrete or timber. Personally I've come to the conclusion that concrete actually amplifies and carries sound a lot more effectively than does timber :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Lols55

Thanks everyone for your reply, I viewed one of the houses ( a semi-d) again today and while i was there the neighbour was hoovering and i could hear every bit of it so i've ruled that property out for sure! however the other house is detatched so i wouldnt have the worry of neighbour noise with it. Ive since learned that i could get the cavity between the block on the outside and the timber on the inside pumped if it hasnt already been done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

smccarrick wrote: »
    I've a concrete cinder block wall between me and the neighbours- and can hear every little thing. Its to do with a lack of adequate insulation between adjoining properties- nothing whatsoever to do with whether its concrete or timber. Personally I've come to the conclusion that concrete actually amplifies and carries sound a lot more effectively than does timber :mad:

It depends entirely how how the two house's are joined. If there was a decent level of insulation in the joining wall on both sides, with little physical joints between the two then you could scream and shout and bang all day and the other side would hear little. It would be close to a detached house.

Unfortunately on the few I worked in there were shared joists in the flooring into thin shared walls. So high pitched sounds went straight through the walls and impact noises/low frequently carried straight through the flooring into the other house.

It was a question of cost when it was built I suppose. None were houses I would buy.

Advertisement