Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Assault.

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭YumDeiseMum

www.wlrfm.com/news-and-sport/waterford-news/140685html

Threatened staff with a knife,charged with attempted robbery and still released to walk the street's looking for his next victim. :mad:
    The country is finished.

What makes this worse is it was attempted armed robbery

I wonder what is it you actually have to do to get remanded in custody these days? Not so many years ago fellas were locked up for a few hours just for being drunk!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,959 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

What makes this worse is it was attempted armed robbery

I wonder what is it you actually have to do to get remanded in custody these days? Not so many years ago fellas were locked up for a few hours just for being drunk!!

An incident happens, lets say like the armed robbery above, and a suspect is arrested. He gets interviewed (along with free food!) and if he makes admissions he will be charged and held for the next sitting of court (every Mon-Fri, special sittings on weekends). Usually, the judge will remand him on bail set proportionally to the offence, and then he's free until the next sitting of court, during which it will be a first mention where his state supplied solicitor will usually request a Gary Doyle order (all information relating to the case that the Gardai will be using). Then it gets put back to another date for hearing. All this takes about 1 to 1 1/2 years.

Lets go back. If he doesn't admit in interview, he will likely be released on station bail to allow for a file to be prepared and submitted to the DPP for directions, which if the DPP decides to go ahead, a summons will issue and the court process starts all over again...

Only with murder/manslaughter and violent rape cases would the suspect be remanded in prison until the next court date (when they would probably get bail).

Great system we have...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

An incident happens, lets say like the armed robbery above, and a suspect is arrested. He gets interviewed (along with free food!) and if he makes admissions he will be charged and held for the next sitting of court (every Mon-Fri, special sittings on weekends). Usually, the judge will remand him on bail set proportionally to the offence, and then he's free until the next sitting of court, during which it will be a first mention where his state supplied solicitor will usually request a Gary Doyle order (all information relating to the case that the Gardai will be using). Then it gets put back to another date for hearing. All this takes about 1 to 1 1/2 years.

Lets go back. If he doesn't admit in interview, he will likely be released on station bail to allow for a file to be prepared and submitted to the DPP for directions, which if the DPP decides to go ahead, a summons will issue and the court process starts all over again...

Only with murder/manslaughter and violent rape cases would the suspect be remanded in prison until the next court date (when they would probably get bail).

Great system we have...

I see nothing wrong with our current set up per se.

The problem is sentencing.

We should have a three strike and your out approach. Especially for violent crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,959 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    I see nothing wrong with our current set up per se.

Way too much time and money is being spent on putting cases back for x reason and y reason. It should be complete file up front on day 1, put back once for the solicitor to go through it, and hearing at next date. End of.
    Finnbar01 wrote: »
    The problem is sentencing.

We should have a three strike and your out approach. Especially for violent crimes.

There should be a judge ombudsman. And a sentence should be full, no early release bullsh!t.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

www.wlrfm.com/news-and-sport/waterford-news/140685html

Threatened staff with a knife,charged with attempted robbery and still released to walk the street's looking for his next victim. :mad:
    The country is finished.

I heard the owner who is an OAP pulled out a baseball bat from behind the counter and told your man with the knife what he do to him if he didn't get out.. your man swiftly left with his tail between his legs :D

• Advertisement

Sorry to drag this back up again..

However this needs to be said..

Was talking to 2+1 dog this morning and he informed me he had nothing to do with the hammer attack..

He was questioned for 3 days over it and he claims they also tried to stick the screwdriver attack on him even though they had a 18yr old in for it..

He admits to hitting a guy with a stick a few weeks ago because he robed his cider but said that was only on the legs and the cnut deserved it :)

He claims to have being out drinking with the hammer victim the other night after he got discharged from hospital and said "do you think he'd drink with me if I hit him with a hammer"

Anyways he's claiming not guilty and that's why he's not in jail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Still scum of the earth though.

he was very convincing in his defence and was genuinely shocked that people thought he would hit someone with a hammer.

He's schizophrenic, one day he's normal next day he's off his head..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Omg you dirty wino talking to him hahaha.
    If someone did rob his cider then what's he doing whipping the legs off him, a good slap in the jaw would have been better. Cider is fecking awful though yuck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Wouldn't believe a word out of him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

seanybiker wrote: »
    whipping the legs off him.

thats just the funniest thing I've read in ages :D:D:D

Omg you dirty wino talking to him hahaha.
    If someone did rob his cider then what's he doing whipping the legs off him, a good slap in the jaw would have been better. Cider is fecking awful though yuck.

He's no fool though, hit a guy a dig in the jaw and the chances are you'll have a sore fist, hit him with a stick no pain involved if your doing the hitting..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Funfair wrote: »
    he was very convincing in his defence and was genuinely shocked that people thought he would hit someone with a hammer.

Schizophrenic yes but what makes you think he would tell you even if he did do it?????

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Well if he sounded genuinely shocked that people would think that of him he must be innocent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Funfair wrote: »

Off his head on cider more like it.

Maybe he should take more responsibility for himself.

Lads ye do know that schizophrenia is not what its like in the papers? Yes it's a horrible thing to have but you would be surprised.
    As ye know already I have me own problems. When I done my adult education course for people with mental problems. 4 of the lads. I'm not Gina say their names and even if I get private messeges I'm not gonna tell you who they where.
    Yes it's a bad thing to have but they don't change from hour to hour.
    Funnily enough. There was about 15 of is in the course and outta my 3 best friends down there at the time, 2 of them where paranoid schizophrenics.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

I was talking to the guy he beat up with the leg of a table(which he got in the hammer victim's flat a few nights before the hammer attack).The hammer victim is a recovering alcoholic street drinker and is in fear of Mr Dog and is refuseing to make a statement to the Gardai,as there are no other witnesses it is doubtful this assault may never go before the court's.

I was talking to the guy he beat up with the leg of a table(which he got in the hammer victim's flat a few nights before the hammer attack).The hammer victim is a recovering alcoholic street drinker and is in fear of Mr Dog and is refuseing to make a statement to the Gardai,as there are no other witnesses it is doubtful this assault may never go before the court's.
    he kept the leg of a table for a few days before using it? We shall call him 3 leg table haha

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭YumDeiseMum

he kept the leg of a table for a few days before using it? We shall call him 3 leg table haha

LOL

Your in flying form this morning Seany :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Hi all,

As the majority of us know by now due to site wide rules we can't discuss any pending or current court cases. With that in mind I think it's best that we lock the thread now.

As usual any questions PM me,

Thread Closed

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement