Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Promotion and breaking contract

Options
  • 12-01-2012 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hello! Need some advice here about my situation..

I work in a very boring, repetitive job, and have done so for the last few years. Last week I was totally in shock when the manager took me aside and said there was a promotion available and would I be interested. It would be to a proper office job with more responsibilities etc (money not particularly better, but the work less soul-destroying than what I do!)
    The only problem is that there's a course (abroad) I'm trying to get into that starts in September, and he wants me to sign a years contract. It wouldn't be him that would be my boss anymore, as the new job is in a different part of the company, but from the way he was talking, he really expects me to stick with the company for years and thinks it would be a bad reflection on him if I were to leave. He said I better not "let him down" or change my mind down the line.
    I won't find out if I have a place on the course for another few weeks (or months even), and I have to decided about accepting this new job tomorrow.
    Should I just take the new job and if need be just hand in my notice in August? Am I right in thinking that every employment contract has to have a notice period? I am so grateful to be offered this above my colleagues, and the idea of continuing in my current position until September is making me insane! I'm just scared of the reaction of my current boss and my new one if I do leave before the contract is up. I also don't want to lose a reference!

There is also the option of deferring the course if I do get in, but as the course is what I actually want to do forever, and the job is an area I have little interest in but pays the bills, then I'd rather not wait another year.

What would people do in this situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

joboffer wrote: »
    Hello! Need some advice here about my situation..

I work in a very boring, repetitive job, and have done so for the last few years. Last week I was totally in shock when the manager took me aside and said there was a promotion available and would I be interested. It would be to a proper office job with more responsibilities etc (money not particularly better, but the work less soul-destroying than what I do!)
    The only problem is that there's a course (abroad) I'm trying to get into that starts in September, and he wants me to sign a years contract. It wouldn't be him that would be my boss anymore, as the new job is in a different part of the company, but from the way he was talking, he really expects me to stick with the company for years and thinks it would be a bad reflection on him if I were to leave. He said I better not "let him down" or change my mind down the line.
    I won't find out if I have a place on the course for another few weeks (or months even), and I have to decided about accepting this new job tomorrow.
    Should I just take the new job and if need be just hand in my notice in August? Am I right in thinking that every employment contract has to have a notice period? I am so grateful to be offered this above my colleagues, and the idea of continuing in my current position until September is making me insane! I'm just scared of the reaction of my current boss and my new one if I do leave before the contract is up. I also don't want to lose a reference!

There is also the option of deferring the course if I do get in, but as the course is what I actually want to do forever, and the job is an area I have little interest in but pays the bills, then I'd rather not wait another year.

What would people do in this situation?

Take the job and leave if you need to in August/September, look after your own interest in work always. If you leave in Sept write a very nice letter thanking both bosses for their interest in your career and sugar coat it so you leave on the best terms possible

Best of luck with whatever you decide

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Take the job - it's gotta give you better experience.

They can't hold you to a one year contract (unless they're paying very, very well) - all it means is that they could get rid of you after a year if they want! Actually, they can get rid of you any time in the first year, 'cos you'll be back on probation again.

And imagine how p*** you'll be if you don't get the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

A contract doesn't have to have a notice period - if it doesn't have one, then the statutory ones apply, which you can find on citizensinformation.ie. But it generally benefits employers to specify a notice period, so someone leaving might have to work out a full month or whatever, rather than just a week or two. Pretty sure that your notice period won't be the full year, if that's what you're worried about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Take the job and apply for your course

If you get on the course you can quit next August
    If you want to stay on you can do that too

Look after yourself

Advertisement