Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Importing from UK

• 12-01-2012 8:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭

Considering importing something like this Accord (not specifically this one) sometime soon.
    Just wondering what total costs I should be factoring in.
    So far I've got-

Cost of car-16889
    VRT(as far as I can make out from the Revenue calculator)-4229
    Plane tickets for 2 ~200
    Ferry~200
    Taxi~€40

Is there a one off-fee for new number plates?
    What else am I missing?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Fuel

Food

Accommodation if the car isn't prepped to your satisfaction (unlikely)

Small stuff really. Insurance be any hassle?

Number plates €20 tops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Am currently insured throughout Europe, paid for it on a renewed policy last month. Hoping it's a matter of transferring over.

Would really like to go over and back on the one day,but yeah, accommodation is a near-must.I'd be hoping to have at least a choice of three to view in the area(Edinburgh in Scotland as I know my way around a bit).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭veetwin

Just wondering OP if your going to the UK to save money or to get a high spec like the one you linked? Just had a quick look on carzone and it doesn't appear that you will save anything by going to the UK for a 2009 Accord unless your looking for full leather and sat nav which are going to be fairly rare here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

No harm in staying over, that's what I did. Just as well as I didn't end up buying the jeep i went over for. I also makes it less manic.

I'm looking at the EX, want the reversing camera and the sunroof.
    They're making about 20-22k here,and like you say they are rare enough.
    One common thing I've noticed is the low mileage the UK Accords seem to have,as opposed to here.
    I'd make a saving of at least 2.5k on a 09,and about 1.3-1.5k on an 08 I'm thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Op, check with your insurer will they cover a uk plated car.

Just remembered I've only got commercial insurance on my own policy.I'm on the OH's insurance private policy so I need her to get the insurance transferred.
    I've heard stories of lads driving back on their own policies without notifying their insurance company!
    Can I take the VRT's online evaluation as gospel for the duty costs or should I ring to confirm beforehand?
    What paperwork needs to be done on the day?
    TIA

on a car with a big of value on it, make sure youb have the spec and details in the revenue site totally correct as you cannot take it as gospel, but close enough for comfort maybe. Trying to ring them will be a monumental waste of time.

To clear the car when you present it you'll need -

The Full V5C
    The Car
    PPS no.
    Utility bill
    The Fee
    Ferry Ticket
    Mot for the car (if applicable)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Ferry ticket?

dahamsta wrote: »
    Ferry ticket?

yeah, they can ask for proof of date of it entering the state.

OP, you'll also need a purchase invoice for the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Op, check with your insurer will they cover a uk plated car.
    They will, even if it does'nt have number plates, VIN will do.

Should I be wary of a trader looking for cash? Doesn't want a bank draft which I can't understand:confused:

Cash is king..........he's just wary of a dodgy draft from a foreigner I'd say........ask him whats the limit he'll take in cash as there is anti laundering laws over there where some dealers will not take large amounts of cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 123 ✭✭Dirkster

colm_mcm wrote: »
    No harm in staying over, that's what I did. Just as well as I didn't end up buying the jeep i went over for. I also makes it less manic.

This is the key point here I think. If you've accommodation then you're in no panic and you won't be rushing and miss things. It could be money well spent if you find something dodgy with the car from having a decent look at it.

I'd also make out a checklist on excel or whatever and print it off on everything to check on the car, you'll always forget to check something if you don't which can be annoying. I forgot to check if it had car mats and assumed the parking sensors were working to my folly!:mad:

I paid for a cartell check on the car I'm looking at,all returned clear except no VIN no on the chassis.
    Dealer will provide receipt,V5 form,Honda history service and GPS disc for the car. When looking for a warranty he said we could sort it out on the day but I stressed I wanted 6 months chassis,parts and labour minimum. What kind of warranty should I look for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

staker wrote: »
    I paid for a cartell check on the car I'm looking at,all returned clear except no VIN no on the chassis.
    Dealer will provide receipt,V5 form,Honda history service and GPS disc for the car. When looking for a warranty he said we could sort it out on the day but I stressed I wanted 6 months chassis,parts and labour minimum. What kind of warranty should I look for?

Do you plan to drive it back to the UK for dealer warranty work or is a pan European warranty you are getting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭mikehn

http://www.arnoldclark.com/used-cars/honda/accord/2.2-diesel-es-gt-5-dr/2010-%2810%29/ref/arnbj-25482/
    Try Arnold Clarke search option, sourced a car this way a couple of years ago, did the deal over the phone, spent an hour max at the garage to sort things and get on the road. Paid cash as this was preferred option.
    Dont be afraid to throw in an offer when ringing, I found them very professional to deal with.
    Would you consider buying at aution, have a look at the BCA web site, manufacturers and leasing companies generally have specific days each month for auction disposal,buying a late year model usually carries a warranty.
    A word of caution, the vrt service has been farmed out by revenue, if the import vehicle does not have an exact match on the system the documentation has to be sent away by the local office for assesment and there have been lengthy delays in some cases.

mikehn wrote: »
    A word of caution, the vrt service has been farmed out by revenue, if the import vehicle does not have an exact match on the system the documentation has to be sent away by the local office for assesment and there have been lengthy delays in some cases.

ahhh, its no real worry. They give you a document to pop in yer glovebox to keep you covered in the event of been pulled up on the road. In fairness to the NCTS, they are on top of things at this stage.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Do you plan to drive it back to the UK for dealer warranty work or is a pan European warranty you are getting?

I was assuming Honda UK ie Honda Europe would warrant their cars europe-wide. The car has less than 90k miles on it which would still be under Honda warranty.
    http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/youandyourcar/warranty/
    Hopefully I'll not be needing it!
    mikehn wrote: »
    http://www.arnoldclark.com/used-cars/honda/accord/2.2-diesel-es-gt-5-dr/2010-%2810%29/ref/arnbj-25482/
    Try Arnold Clarke search option, sourced a car this way a couple of years ago, did the deal over the phone, spent an hour max at the garage to sort things and get on the road. Paid cash as this was preferred option.
    Dont be afraid to throw in an offer when ringing, I found them very professional to deal with.
    Would you consider buying at aution, have a look at the BCA web site, manufacturers and leasing companies generally have specific days each month for auction disposal,buying a late year model usually carries a warranty.

Yeah, the irish spec Accord does not include a sunroof as standard whereas the UK does.
    Will be declaring it at the NCTS centre though.Hopefully no more than €200 extra.
    As regards Arnold Clarke,the OH bought a Golf off them in Scotland and found them unhelpful with regards a faulty rear wiper which should've been replaced under warranty.Wouldn't be inclined to deal with them again tbh. Thanks for the tip though!

I'd personally not declare the sunroof, unless the ncts guy/girl spots it..... ;)

• Advertisement

MidlandsM wrote: »
    I'd personally not declare the sunroof, unless the ncts guy/girl spots it..... ;)

She's a girl, might stop off in Leonidas on the way in:D

I've often cleared stuff with extra's like sunfoofs they did'nt spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I was assuming Honda UK ie Honda Europe would warrant their cars europe-wide. The car has less than 90k miles on it which would still be under Honda warranty.
    http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/youandyourcar/warranty/
    Hopefully I'll not be needing it!

Don't assume anything, give Honda UK a ring and verify with them. If it isn't then use it a bargining tool with the dealer to get another few quid off the car. It might not be much as UK dealers have more realistic asking prices over here but might be enough to cover filling the car and to get you home.

I thought the electric sunroof was standard on the EX models even over here? If the sunroof is standard on the car and not a factory extra then it will not be included in the calculation of VRT. They will know by the checking the car's chassis number.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Don't assume anything, give Honda UK a ring and verify with them. If it isn't then use it a bargining tool with the dealer to get another few quid off the car. It might not be much as UK dealers have more realistic asking prices over here but might be enough to cover filling the car and to get you home.

I thought the electric sunroof was standard on the EX models even over here? If the sunroof is standard on the car and not a factory extra then it will not be included in the calculation of VRT. They will know by the checking the car's chassis number.

Good thinking,I'll do just that. Like you say,more a bargaining tool than a fallback,.
    I've seen EX's on sale on DD with no sunroofhere, can't make out whether they're extra or are there 2 EX's.
    Reading up on the Irish Honda website here it says they're spec but yet there's ones out there without.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

Forget the warranty offer them £1000 less than the asking price for a cash trade sale and take your chances.Thats what I did when I bought my last BMW off a UK BMW main dealer and all he said was ok we accept , no haggleing nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭Technique

My local Honda garage carried out some warranty work on an Accord which I imported from the UK, so although it may not be guaranteed it does happen.

Ended up not buying any of the three I went to see.
    One was resprayed(an 08) which the seller wouldn't admit to, one was gone which was still up on the website:mad: and the last was with the first seller so didn't even look at it!!
    Ended up travelling up North here.Very happy with the purchase,bought a year younger,less mileage than any of the three above but paid the right(if there's such a thing:P) money.
    The Honda warranty is out,I got a three month dealer.
    Declaring it Monday as horror stories going around down Cork city way as regards customs on the prowl.
    As MidlandsM alluded to, most only dealt in cash, and it talks, loud.Of course when they hear the irish accent the ears are cocked and the nostrils flared as they know there's a genuine sale on.
    Thanks for all the help lads, gotta figure out how to blank the plates to throw her up on the "my car" thread.:pac:

Congrats, and well wear.

Just back from a nice spin, nothing untoward about the car so far. Found a few more gizmos like the DVD-Rom player in the boot. Not too sure it plays DVD's yet but the Sat nav works! Needs an update which costs over 200 lids on the main dealer website:eek:
    It came with 18' split 6 way split spokes on 225 18 45's with another 5000 miles worth of rubber, makes it a bit too hard on the back country roads around here as opposed to the welsh flat tarmac it was used to.
    Still grinning ear to ear and delighted to get it as "it only came in on the transporter Friday evening" and hadn't been washed nor valeted and was parked out of eyesight,just lucky I took a walk down the back of the garage:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement