Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Secondary school teaching

• 12-01-2012 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi ! im currently filling out my CAO. Ever since i was young i wanted to become a teacher...however im afraid of never getting a job. Do you think the job situations in teaching will change it the next 5years??? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Hi,

Yes,
    I think the situation will change in the next 5 years.
    I think there will be quite a number of retirements and I also think that in 5 years time the redeployment panel will be used up and that there will be jobs available.

However, I also think the pay and conditions of the job will be eroded a lot more in the next 5 years so as to whether it will be a profession you'll want to get into in 5 years is a different story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

it may also depend, as always, on your chosen subject(s) - are you thinking of teaching a common, across-the-board subject, or a more minority subject? think carefully also when chosing any secondary subjects ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Things will change but very slowly. Remember that there are many many teachers out there now with no jobs and about 1500 new every year if I remember correctly. You definitely need to pick two teachable subjects (preferably not english and history). You will need a very good LC (it could make the difference on a teaching CV) and probably at least a 1:1 if you want to get directly onto the PGDE. Finally you need to aim for an A in teaching practise. Its a very tough field at the mo.

Having said all that if its what you want and are good at then go for it

Advertisement