Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox Hackers Alert-EA Servers etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Id agree, something is suspicious given all of the accounts are used to buy Fifa ultimate team packs

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

It'll probably emerge in a few weeks of a major plot hole in xbox live security, but by the time they announce it, everything will be fixed, so MS won't look all that bad. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Rochie IRL

My account was hit. I have 15 achievement points now for fifa 12 and it shows as one of my games and the game has never been in my console :eek:
    They got well over 4000 ms points by downloading "Premium Gold Pack" "Gold Players Premium" "Rare Player Pack".
    If you phone support they suspend your account for 30days while they investigate it. The first question I was asked by customer support was do I have fifa 12 so Microsoft no there is a problem. I'll get my points back etc etc but it does not make xbox look very safe at the minute.

The reason they asked that was because you would have had fifa Ultimate team purchases on your account, and if you did, but not have the game, its a pretty definitive way of knowing whats happened.

I personally highly doubt Xbox Live itself has been accessed, if it was, all the high profile Xbox Live accounts would be being stolen (Major Nelson, E, Stepto)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

There's been a few of these threads in recent weeks, and in all cases FIFA and points used to buy FIFA dlc have been mentioned. In most cases folks haven't even played it, so acc. data is not being phished that way.

At the moment I'd be pointing the finger at EA but we'll wait and see, I'd be interested to to see what happens if one of the bigger gaming sites picked up the story.

I haven't played fifa either so am a bit clueless but from what I gather isn't there some real world cash incentive here for selling teams or something? When I heard that even before these hacking cases I said to myself "trouble"

• Advertisement

calex71 wrote: »
    I haven't played fifa either so am a bit clueless but from what I gather isn't there some real world cash incentive here for selling teams or something? When I heard that even before these hacking cases I said to myself "trouble"

Yeah, the people who hack the accounts generally just buy some ultimate team pack, and sometimes a live sub on the account, then they sell the account on. That's what i've gathered from various posts around the place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭windingo

I am seeing a lot of this going around here and on other forums, scary stuff but I suppose things can only improve now that they know the hacking is going on.

If it is EA then they are treading murky waters.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭AceCard Jones

If I'm to understand this right, the theory is EA have been compromised, and the people who made the mistake of using both the e-mail of their gamer tag, and the same password as their gamer tag when signing up the to EA services, are now having their accounts accessed? It's a bit of a "Silly Billy" mistake to use the same password across multiple services so people really need to watch out for that. Unless I have it all wrong and this is all being done in another way.

I can see no other way of EA being compromised resulting in your Xbox account being stolen, unless Microsoft themselves got infiltrated. Which in my opinion is just as likely since all these "Hackers" seem to be targeting all mainstream media and gaming companies.

EA would be a softer target IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Explosions in the Sky

Those testimonials in the link at the top are from people who have had no games or accounts affiliated with EA aswell, although it seems like EA has been compromised. The theroy is with the Fifa 12, the hackers get rare cards in Ultimate team on Fifa as they can be auctioned off. They buy the packs with your microsoft points in the first place, thats why everyone getting hacked has 15 gamerscore on Fifa even if they never had the game (like my friend :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭spoongibbon

Just to note - my xbox account was hacked about two weeks after setting up my first EA account - to use with Battlefield 3. As far as I could tell the points that were spent on my account were not used to purchase anything FIFA-related.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Explosions in the Sky

Just to note - my xbox account was hacked about two weeks after setting up my first EA account - to use with Battlefield 3. As far as I could tell the points that were spent on my account were not used to purchase anything FIFA-related.
    Have you ever played Fifa ? if you have not and recieved 15 gamerscore on it they used it to buy packs on Ultimate team

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭spoongibbon

No, I never owned it and as far as I'm aware, never got any achievements for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

http://www.insidegamingdaily.com/2012/01/13/xbox-com-password-exploit-fingered-for-xbl-hack/

They're calling it an "exploit" but it doesn't seem like an exploit to me - getting gamertags - checking google to see if they can match GT and an email address then using that email address as a live ID - then brute forcing a password.

I can't see what the "exploit"

Maybe MS allow brute-forcing of login attempts?

Anyway - keep email passwords separate - and don't have a guessable password - don't use a single dictionary word - have upper and lower case and at least one number.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Aye, similar story on Eurogamer at the moment. If it's true then it's not "hacking" in the slightest, just a combination of certain lax checks on MS side combined with, what I assume, are terrible passwords.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Jericho.

pH wrote: »
    http://www.insidegamingdaily.com/2012/01/13/xbox-com-password-exploit-fingered-for-xbl-hack/

They're calling it an "exploit" but it doesn't seem like an exploit to me - getting gamertags - checking google to see if they can match GT and an email address then using that email address as a live ID - then brute forcing a password.

I can't see what the "exploit"

Maybe MS allow brute-forcing of login attempts?

Anyway - keep email passwords separate - and don't have a guessable password - don't use a single dictionary word - have upper and lower case and at least one number.

I don't think this was the case. It happened to me a while ago.(I had a thread on it as well) My e-mail would be different to my gamertag and my password would've been good. It was the same password as my EA one, I reckon that's how they did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

My account was hacked months ago and my password was relatively strong (combination of a word followed by a number), my locale was changed to Russia and I can't change it back (bit difficult trying to interpret the Cyrillic alphabet on my dashboard). MS still haven't sorted it out even though they keep sending me XBL codes every month to keep me sweet.

This method of brute force hacking could conceivably have worked to access my account but it's unforgivable that Microsoft have never come up with a more robust way of preventing this, at least sending an email before major changes can be made to your account.

Brute force log attempts seems likely, MS is weird with their hotmail security, it blocks an IP from trying a password 3 times, and then it block all the password reset functions for 24 hours and your IP indefinitely. This is the case for chrome and firefox, but on internet explorer, the password can be guessed as much as you like. :P

Na brute forcing passwords doesnt work, you block the account if you try it too often

Meesared wrote: »
    Na brute forcing passwords doesnt work, you block the account if you try it too often

But it doesn't block when you use internet explorer, i did it last month to a friend (he gave me permission) :P

• Advertisement

It must have been a glitch, ive seen it happen on IE

Just saw this on ign. They show how the hacking was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

sickened if someone steals my GT. I've 200MS points and no CC association. I assume it'd be completely useless to anyone?

Yup, it'd be useless to them, they only are interested in it if it has a CC associated with the account.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Yup, it'd be useless to them, they only are interested in it if it has a CC associated with the account.
    why do people use their CC though? its far cheaper to buy codes from all those websites listed in the stickied thread.

It's more convenient for people, just link the credit card, and then buy everything from MS directly and instantly. And lots of people wouldn't trust online shopping with their card. There are loads of reasons people would do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

If this was a bank letting criminals to unlimited password attempts until access was gain to the accounts of their customers then letting the criminal take money from the account to spend, when this theft is discovered they then blame the customer for not having a good enough password there would be uproar in the media.....

No is a games console company, with its own currency letting its own stupid customers(That's what they are implying) getting robbed....

If this is true then the Fifa12 was just a conduit for fencing of the Ms points, again if this is true its another case of Ms letting another company take the initial blame for one of their problems!!

Strike another one up for Ms....

Had a look at some of the other stories from people who have been affected and noticed this post from Venom in another thread on the issue. Given the makeup of his password, the chances of a brute force attack being successful is extremely slim in any kind of reasonable time frame on a site like xbox.com so I really would wonder if that's the issue, or indeed only issue, at play here.

Sidenote: Back in October MS officially said it's not specifically a FIFA issue. That would only leave the possibility of a hack on EA's side but since they didn't announce anything there either it's pretty safe to rule that out. Plus, I'm pretty sure if EA felt they were being blamed for it they would have issued a meatier statement by now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

Once again the major players are very quite, which leaves the rumour mills to work over time.

As long as they keep getting away with it, why should they inform their customers of anything?

I'm just glad its not me this time, but at this stage I am beginning to doubt their line we take security very seriously.
    The online safety of Xbox LIVE members remains of the utmost importance, which is why we consistently take measures to protect Xbox LIVE against ever-changing threats

Keep saying it and it might come true.......

• Advertisement

NORTH1 wrote: »
    Once again the major players are very quite, which leaves the rumour mills to work over time.
    They haven't been quiet though? MS have already made a statement on the matter, they said XBox Live (and by extension its security) hasn't been breached. Technically speaking, they are correct even if it turns out the above system is the one which is being used. That doesn't mean they shouldn't change the current system. Personally I think they should lock the account down after 3 password attempts but that opens up a veritable can of worms with regard to dealing with the consequences. :o

As for EA, they have also said they haven't been hacked and have simply provided users with the usual directions on how to spot phishing attempts et al. As I said above, if they really felt they were being left out to dry by MS then they'd say something. The FIFA brand is far too valuable to be exposed to such criticism, especially when the Ultimate Team feature is involved which is also a significant money maker for them.
    NORTH1 wrote: »
    As long as they keep getting away with it, why should they inform their customers of anything?
    Because, depending on the regions involved, MS would be legally obligated to inform its users of a hack.

Advertisement