Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cheap beer

• 12-01-2012 9:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭

what's your favourite cheap quality beer doing the rounds in the offys at the mo?i swear by karpackie myself,but am wanting to experiment with other low cost beers.any suggestions?cheers
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Biere Speciale

tesco 3:50 for 6 or 8 stubbies cant remember ...nice shizzle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

do tesco sell that bier d'or?it was like dishwater to be honest but 20 bottles for €7.99 was hard to sneeze at.an old favourite of mine was oranJeboom,a dutch pilsner.was available in almost every offo in Ireland,then suddenly disappeared with no explanation given.same thing with those bottles of rolling rock for a euro that everywhere had it on sale.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

do tesco sell that bier d'or?it was like dishwater to be honest but 20 bottles for €7.99 was hard to sneeze at.an old favourite of mine was oranJeboom,a dutch pilsner.was available in almost every offo in Ireland,then suddenly disappeared with no explanation given.same thing with those bottles of rolling rock for a euro that everywhere had it on sale.

Jeez I remember Oranjeboom, 6 cans for €7 and it was 5%! Nice stuff too. Some cheap ones which are decent to try out are Bavaria, Tuborg, Prazsky (Although have found the last few packs not as good/must try again :P), even Hackenburgs alrite. Theres another nice 4 for €5 one the name escapes me, belgian I think which is good!

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

I've seen bottles of oranjeboom recently. I forgot all about rolling rock.

rolling rock was a lovely smooth lager,very easy to drink when chilled proper,orangjeboom was for getting poxangled with really limited funds!do refmeister was an old favourite too which disappeared from the shelves virtually overnight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Dave_Kilkenny

I believe Aldi's own brand is 75c per 500ml can. So it would have the cheapest price per litre iv ever seen at 1.50.

does anyone remember those 500millilitre bottles of anvil cider?6 bottles for 5punts,rocketfuel!well for a 14 year old yours truly they were!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Carling is going for 1euro a can in my local offie at the moment. I've developed a bit of a taste for it in recent weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

ive been drinking blonderbrau recently, its 1 euro a can and 4.6%. Cant miss it in the red can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭poitinstill

kaiserdom in dunnes is quality pilsner from bamberg about 6.5 for 6 x 500ml. or as was siad galahad in aldi is equal to heiniken/miller etc#
    perlinbacher in lidl nice for price too...these are a good step above oranjebloom/ bier d'or etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

It is fine discussing inexpensive drinks in this forum, but if you wish to talk about getting "skulled" as a teenager or an adult - this is not the place to do it.

Any further posts along this line will be removed & the user banned.

Read & understand the forum charter please.

tHB

blondebrau takes me back,can't ever remember it in cans mind,always 250mill little bottles nice stuff all the same.perlenbacher is a nice solid German brew from lidl,the other stuff they sell excelsior i think?less said about that the better....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Pin_Cushion

I'm drinking "Brasserie" from Aldi at the moment. 10x 250ml bottles for €4.50. It's 4.8% and pretty tastey. I'd definitely agree with the OP though re: Karpackie. It's surprising how nice it is considering its price.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Tommy Target

Presently and Pleasantly drinking Cobra 5% Lager..It is usually served in Thai and Indian eateries ..12 X 330ml e10 in Tescos..

i picked up a 6pack of the cobra after work one evening,kicked back on the couch and cracked one open,tasted odd so i checked the date which was fine.it was then i Realised id picked up the alcohol free version!doh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4 Quinnie007

10 for 10 in fine wines offy @northern cross decent stuff

Primus is the one I forgot the name of, pritty decent beer @ 4 for €5. I also had a few cans of Royal Dutch Post Horn lager last night, another 4 for €5 down in the local Spar deal and its pritty decent, 5% too :) . Not seen that beer in years but I think they are re introducing it

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭AwayWithFaries

m.j.w wrote: »
    ive been drinking blonderbrau recently, its 1 euro a can and 4.6%. Cant miss it in the red can

I've gotten this a few times. Really nice beer especially for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Anything in the Devneys Rathmines recession fridge.

Currently €1.50 bottles of Weihenstephan (20 bottles for 25).

anybody remember Kellys lager?it was vile!the can colour and design was basically a copy of harp cans,really metallic taste.

• Advertisement

anybody remember Kellys lager?it was vile!the can colour and design was basically a copy of harp cans,really metallic taste.

leffe blonde 4 x 350ml bottles in lidl for a fiver,bargain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭nungesser

I did that at Vicar Street "Harry", oh cool they have cobra merrily walked off to my seat to find i got the N/A version, placebo beer, I think that grummpy Hill Billy guy could use a few beers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

leffe blonde 4 x 350ml bottles in lidl for a fiver,bargain!

Same with Hoegaarden. Yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

i picked up a 6pack of the cobra after work one evening,kicked back on the couch and cracked one open,tasted odd so i checked the date which was fine.it was then i Realised id picked up the alcohol free version!doh!

Surely you should have noticed you had bought the alcohol free version by the looks of disgust you were getting as you walked through the shop?? :D

Tennents is 6 cans for €5.50 in my local spar atm, not a bad drink either

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I'm getting cans of Carling at a euro a can in my offie, its great I've been drinking quite heavily recently and its not affecting the pocket too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,603 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Tyskie isn't a cheap beer as such, but is great value (6.15 for four 500ml cans in Dunnes) considering it's 5.6% and tastes as good as premium Czech beer at a much lower cost.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

This week LIDL are doing
    4 x 500ml bottles of Tyskie for €5

5901359062464_M.jpg

• Advertisement

Great offer. Odd though how Lidl only ever have it in bottles, Dunnes have cans, Molloy's do both!

Scrap the cap!

ninja900 wrote: »
    Great offer. Odd though how Lidl only ever have it in bottles, Dunnes have cans, Molloy's do both!

Something nicer about bottles.... And the price ain't bad either

pa990 wrote: »
    Something nicer about bottles....

It's funny to have Lidl only doing bottles for a beer that's usually in cans elsewhere, and matching or beating the price for cans.
    Bottles have higher transport costs etc.. and often a beer that is seeking a premium image (and price) is only available in bottles here, but will be in cans in its home country! e.g. several Czech beers

You'd need to do a blind taste test on the bottle vs. can thing, something tells me it wouldn't stand up! but if you prefer bottles, fine, I find them a hassle as they have to be carted back to the bottle bank instead of just put in the green bin.

Scrap the cap!

ninja900 wrote: »
    It's funny to have Lidl only doing bottles for a beer that's usually in cans elsewhere, and matching or beating the price for cans.
    Bottles have higher transport costs etc.. and often a beer that is seeking a premium image (and price) is only available in bottles here, but will be in cans in its home country! e.g. several Czech beers

You'd need to do a blind taste test on the bottle vs. can thing, something tells me it wouldn't stand up! but if you prefer bottles, fine, I find them a hassle as they have to be carted back to the bottle bank instead of just put in the green bin.

I generally drink canned beer(larger/pils) in a glass, and bottles beer straight from the bottle.
    Belgians etc must be in its correct type of glass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

I bought Saint Etienne 5% in Aldi for 99c a can , belgian beer much like stella, good tack, after about 5 though you can really feel the alch, best to take your time with it

24 cans of Guinness 24euro dunnes Drogheda snap them up while ya can lads

• Advertisement
Advertisement