Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barrel break in question

Options
  • 12-01-2012 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

Should I do a barrel break in on my hmr when I get it, or is it only necessary on centrefires?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Erk

Hi Declan, i have a .17hmr CZ 452. All i done was shoot about 10-20 rounds zeroing it then plinking stuff. I then clean it until my patches come out clean after putting the oil down etc.. Then i go back out and check my zero then do as i please.. That's what i done and i have now over 700 rounds gone through it using 17 grain Ferderal.. Still shoots excellent :) Hope this helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

Erk wrote: »
    Hi Declan, i have a .17hmr CZ 452. All i done was shoot about 10-20 rounds zeroing it then plinking stuff. I then clean it until my patches come out clean after putting the oil down etc.. Then i go back out and check my zero then do as i please.. That's what i done and i have now over 700 rounds gone through it using 17 grain Ferderal.. Still shoots excellent :) Hope this helps :)

Cheers, I'll give it a go when I get it. That won't be for a while though. I have a few hoops to jump through before i get the licence

I see :) Not many rabbits about now with the weather here :( Silage is the next time to bag alot of bunnies :) What one you going for? Cz, Marlin?

Erk wrote: »
    I see :) Not many rabbits about now with the weather here :( Silage is the next time to bag alot of bunnies :) What one you going for? Cz, Marlin?

I'm getting a cz 455 thumbhole. It's got a really nice feel to it, and the reports are good for accuracy.

Ah yes i was gonna get that but wasn't coming out for another 3 months at the time so i couldn't wait.. Very nice gun my local gun dealer has one. CZ are usually good for accuracy..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

declan1980 wrote: »
    Should I do a barrel break in on my hmr when I get it, or is it only necessary on centrefires?

The 6 Million Dollar Question! With the Price of ammo a 20-30 round break in would be no load to carry anyway.
    I rarely cleaned any .22lr I owned, never owned a HMR, always wanted one for shooting greycrows around the farm yard
    Well ware buy the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭robbie mars

The 17 is a great little gun best of luck with it

The 6 Million Dollar Question! With the Price of ammo a 20-30 round break in would be no load to carry anyway.
    I rarely cleaned any .22lr I owned, never owned a HMR, always wanted one for shooting greycrows around the farm yard
    Well ware buy the way!

Thanks tack, I'm really looking forward to having a 17 again. I wasn't really worrying about the cost, just was thinking would it have any effect on the accuracy.
    I always thought the hmr was a deadly yoke for small pests like bunnies, maggies and greys. I often took them at 200 yards with my old one using federal 17gr v-max

Advertisement