Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldi Halogen Oven - Sunday Next €39.99

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭brian_t

danjo-xx wrote: »
    With stand and extender for height, chrome plated racks and tongs included. This is a great product with a 12 litre capacity bowl.

Product_detail_Wk3S.jpg
    Aldi have this back again on Thursday October 4th. €39.99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

had a look online, it only tells what the offers are gong to be up to the 30th sep. how do you know this is available on the 4th?

had a look online, it only tells what the offers are gong to be up to the 30th sep. how do you know this is available on the 4th?

It's in their Specialbuys brochure for next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

anto2 wrote: »
    I paid the equivalent of 20 euro for one here in Thailand .Its great for doing fish especially .
    Brand name Kashiwa and 1,3000W

1,3000w is that correct or a typo?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ukonline

brian_t wrote: »
    It's in their Specialbuys brochure for next week.

-

Thanks. Looks very similar to one I bought from
    Amazon, which has been very useful. It came with
    and extra bulb.

Is there any mention of a warranty? Just thinking
    about the bulbs blowing and if they're easy to find
    and/or expensive to replace.

-

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

how the hell do you boil something in a halogen oven

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_23792.htm

-

Comes with 3 year warranty. Can't go
    wrong really.

Suggest anyone wanting one to go to
    the store early!

-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

my old deep fat fryer packed in yesterday, anyone ever cook oven chips in one of these halogen ovens? interested to know how long they take to cook?, how many portions? & how do they taste.....thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I picked one up yesterday and used it last night.
    It did pretty well on a sirloin.
    I also cooked a whole chicken but I was not happy with the results. It's partially my fault as I did not have the temp high enough and I did not have it on for long enough. I was going with the book which said 200c for 30-40 mins. I put it on about 175 for 50 but that was a bad idea. The chicken was finished off in the regular oven.
    It's not great for potatoes, but when I put them back in after slicing them open to check, they crisped right up so I reckon it will make some fantastic chips or home made crisps.
    I have a Pork roast to try next time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Missed this last time round and ended up going to argos instead for one.

I find it does any sort of meat deadly - chicken fillet for example are nyom.

Did a beef steak there the other day and that too was quality.

Downside - pizza not so good in it. Oven chips take longer than a traditional oven at the same temp I find. Baking stuff in it can take longer too.

For what I use it for - meat 97% of the time - defo worth the cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Saruman wrote: »
    I also cooked a whole chicken but I was not happy with the results. It's partially my fault as I did not have the temp high enough and I did not have it on for long enough. I was going with the book which said 200c for 30-40 mins. I put it on about 175 for 50 but that was a bad idea. The chicken was finished off in the regular oven.
    It's not great for potatoes, but when I put them back in after slicing them open to check, they crisped right up so I reckon it will make some fantastic chips or home made crisps.

Theres a trick to cooking a whole chicken in one of these.

200degrees, put the chicken in on some olive oil for 45 minutes UPSIDE DOWN.

After the 45 minutes, turn the chicken rightway up and cook for another 45 minutes.

Make sure you dab oil every 20-odd minutes.

These Halogen Ovens are fantastic but bear in mind they do tend to act a bit more like a grill than a conventional oven. I'm sold with mine, had the exact model aldi are selling for the past 2-3 years and not a problem. Replacement bulbs are £10 from JML but I havent needed one yet.

I thought it looked like the JML one. I saw no mention on mine about cleaning though. In fact it says not to put water in the bowl if the lid is on.

Thanks for the chicken cooking guide. That's about the same time as a regular oven but I suspect it might be juicier and still less energy used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,192 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Put a load of potatoes around the edges at the bottom (on the low rack), then chopped carrots in the centre (basically a layer of spuds and carrots on the bottom) and put the chicken on top of the whole thing
    Then give it 90 mins at 200
    Perfect 1 pot dinner

Is that sitting on top of the carrots and spuds? Instead of on the higher rack? I ask because the manual (limited) suggests to keep a space to allow airflow and not stack food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,192 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Just sitting on top directly of the carrots and spuds - not on the high rack

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭loopymum

Hi

For people who bought the Andrew James cooker, do you use the frying and steam trays that came with your halogen oven?

I'm wondering if I made a mistake not getting the Andrew James?

Thanks

Loopy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Just got this today, it's only €39.99 in Dunnes down past Salthill in Galway.

Made fantastic sweet potato chips, and a great job on a chicken fillet wrapped in rashers and carrots. Sheriff of Nomingham :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,518 ✭✭✭✭Esel

markesmith wrote: »
    Just got this today, it's only €39.99 in Dunnes down past Salthill in Galway.
    Same actual one that Aldi had, or similar?

Not your ornery onager

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Just sitting on top directly of the carrots and spuds - not on the high rack

Worked a treat thanks :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

got 1 in Aldi a few weeks back and finally used it yesterday to cook a chicken....and I have to say you were bang on here. Fantastic chicken, as good as I've eaten in a long time.
    Juicy and moist on the inside and tasty crispy skin on the outside...

Watching it cook, I was sure it was going to be the direst chicken ever. But 45 mins upside down and then 45 mins right way up at 200c made for the perfect dinner (I ignored the guide that came with the oven...25-30mins at 230c!!!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Good to hear you enjoyed :D 25-30 minutes at 230c as the guide suggests I think would result in a half burnt half undercooked chicken!

Next time put the parboiled roast potatoes in the juices at the bottom of the chicken to cook. Heaven!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

would you put the potatoes in for the full 90 or just the 2nd 45?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

They are back in Aldi this Sunday. €39.99

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_25329.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

Just from reading this thread and getting some birthday money.. I'm treating myself on sunday in aldi... Whay do the people who bought one think of it?

With the exception of frozen pizza (does not cook the bottom) they are great. I rarely use my conventional oven any more.

same, i haven't used an oven-oven in ages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭clint_silver

same, i haven't used an oven-oven in ages

:D
    Is this as Irish as you can get, make a term up and everyone just knows what youre talking about.

Can anyone who has both comment on what this will do or can do different than the actifry oven unit argos did last week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Just a few questions.

How can you do a proper roast in this if it doesn't cook the bottom?

Would it fit a medium sized chicken?

I'd say pizza's are manky, would I be correct?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭PCDub

Haven't used my oven-oven since i got it, class machine and i think it cooks frozen pizza (thin crust) great...

TheChevron wrote: »
    Just a few questions.

How can you do a proper roast in this if it doesn't cook the bottom?

Would it fit a medium sized chicken?

I'd say pizza's are manky, would I be correct?

when im cooking a chicken I just turn the chicken over halfway through, then flip it back over at the end for a few minutes to crisp up the skin

PCDub wrote: »
    Haven't used my oven-oven since i got it, class machine and i think it cooks frozen pizza (thin crust) great...

How do you manage that? Are you using something underneath it to help? Even Dr Oetker Pizzas, which are as thin as you can get, do not cook to bottom and leaves it soggy and clearly uncooked.

I have tried frozen savoury pies too. They come in a foil bottom and they don't cook the bottom. Taking it out of the foil is useless because it essentially melts through the grate and flattens.

Most things it cooks fine, whole chickens included.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

is there any difference between this and an air fryer would they cook chips the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Unfortunately when I went to Aldi they had sold out...

Can someone who owns and uses one tell me ....

- I read comments about these being vey noisy. I live in a small apartment with an open plan kitchen-dining room.
    - I read also that the light is very very bright and is difficult to take - also considering my open plan....

the light is incredibly bright but they're not that noisy, at least the one I own isn't. I guess some would be noiser than others but.. yeah the light is ****ing bright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

the light is incredibly bright but they're not that noisy, at least the one I own isn't. I guess some would be noiser than others but.. yeah the light is ****ing bright.

Hmmmm :D food for thought then ........ :rolleyes:

I don't consider it too bright to be a problem though. The noise is about the same as my cooker extractor fan on the low to medium setting. It does not detract from watching TV in an open plan setting for instance.

How do you manage that? Are you using something underneath it to help? Even Dr Oetker Pizzas, which are as thin as you can get, do not cook to bottom and leaves it soggy and clearly uncooked.

I have tried frozen savoury pies too. They come in a foil bottom and they don't cook the bottom. Taking it out of the foil is useless because it essentially melts through the grate and flattens.

Most things it cooks fine, whole chickens included.

I wonder if the oven needs to be preheated before baking pies/pizzas/etc.? I usually only grill stuff, and don't bother preheating, but cooked a pizza one time, and the edges were not cooked fully. I'll try preheating next time using an oven thermometer if I'm baking something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭savemejebus

ukonline wrote: »
    I wonder if the oven needs to be preheated before baking pies/pizzas/etc.? I usually only grill stuff, and don't bother preheating, but cooked a pizza one time, and the edges were not cooked fully. I'll try preheating next time using an oven thermometer if I'm baking something.

I have a non, aldi one, with a pre-heat feature and tried this before. Did nothing, base was still very spongey and soft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Bump.

Back in Aldi on Sunday for €32.99

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

Wish I had the counter space for this. Absolute bargain .

Don't think I could swap my Actifry though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

brokenarms wrote: »
    Wish I had the counter space for this. Absolute bargain .

Don't think I could swap my Actifry though.
    i got one before i got the actifry and it was used about half a dozen times, but it's been sitting in the garage for almost a year now since i got the actifry and it'll likely stay there as we have a slow cooker and the hob and oven, so no need for it really.

still, it's €30 quid versus €130 minimum for an actifry, so it is much much cheaper and more versatile than an actifry and does cook things quickly.

both equally as fecking loud though, you wouldn't use either one in a library. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ballymac676

Hi - I love my halogen oven but it broke before Xmas and I think it is probably the bulb. Have tried without success to get a replacement. Can anyone help? I know Aldi had a universal one for only €2.99 - it was on sale last year but missed getting one then. Failing that I just might buy a new one if they are only €32 - really lost without mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

vibe666 wrote: »
    i got one before i got the actifry and it was used about half a dozen times, but it's been sitting in the garage for almost a year noW
    Would you be interested in selling it? I'm in Blanch so could collect it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Thanks for this, the bulb in ours is going after nearly 4 years and we decided just to replace the whole unit rather than the bulb.

Will pick one up on Sunday :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,967 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

99% sure there was a stack of these selling in the Bray Aldi today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

I got one as an Xmas present, I made a roast chicken in it yesterday! It's probably the best roast chicken I've ever eaten!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

For anyone looking for a replacement bulb/element this place does them for 9.99 sterling:
    http://ebay.eu/1kCeVgL

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭nootroc

Some in Aldi at €29.99 in the clearance section. Picked one up earlier so hope to give it a test run over the next few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭magicray

I bought one of these off a friend, she had never used it but didnt have the box/instructions etc

Would anyone have the instructions handy by any chance, I have used it for pizza, fish etc but would love to know the timings for bigger items like chickens etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement