Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insert cringy running cliché here!

• 12-01-2012 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

Hey all I've posted sporadically in the events forum before and I thought it appropriate with the new year to start my running log. I'm 24 and have trained in the past for the most part semi seriously. That being said in 2011 I ran 13 races including 4 half marathons and my first ever marathon. I tend to run races as much as I can to keep myself motivated. However my training can tend to be half arsed alot of the time. Well this year is gonna be different or so they say! Anyways heres my pbs and goals for 2012:

Pbs

5k 21:50, 10k: 46:45, HM: 1:46:xx M: 4:51:xx

Aims for 2012

Sub 45 10k, Sub 1:40:00 HM, Sub 4 Marathon.

So get the ball rolling I've signed up for the Connemarathon and I would love to put in a big performance for this one. I did DCM in 4hr51mins but that was off 8 weeks training and only 70k a week tops with no lsrs at all. So I think I sub 4 could be achievable. Anyways like everyone else I'm here to log my runs and keep myself motivated so any advice is appreciated.

ps how do add your mileage to the 1000 mile challenge thread? if someone could pm me and fill me in that would hugely appreciated! thanks

Phil.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭funrunner95

10/1/12

8km, forgot to take the watch out for this one, very comfortable pace all the same though, because it was my first run in about 2/3 weeks

11/1/12

6km, roughly 6:15km pace.

12/1/12

10km, 6:20km pace.

13/1/12

8km - was able to push it slightly more today

pace 6:08km

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Best of luck with the log and the Connemara training. Connemara was my first marathon last year and I did it purely for the experience. It was brilliant. Ran it in 4.28 when the goal was just to finish it so was delighted. I'd recommend doing some long slow hills if you're planning on running a pb by 52 minutes as it's a toughie. That said, you've 11 weeks from Sunday so if you make the plan and stick to it you should be fine. You need your LSRs! Enjoy!

claralara wrote: »
    Best of luck with the log and the Connemara training. Connemara was my first marathon last year and I did it purely for the experience. It was brilliant. Ran it in 4.28 when the goal was just to finish it so was delighted. I'd recommend doing some long slow hills if you're planning on running a pb by 52 minutes as it's a toughie. That said, you've 11 weeks from Sunday so if you make the plan and stick to it you should be fine. You need your LSRs! Enjoy!

thanks a million for the advice, i know wiping nearly an hour off a marathon time is a big ask, but I wanted to raise the bar high and train accordingly. Like I alluded to before my pre-Dublin programme was woefully inadequate and explains my (relatively) poor time. I'm putting a huge effort in this time round, I have given up smoking and shall be off the booze for the next three months also. LSRs will also play a vital role as I didnt use them before. The only thing I haven't quite sussed is hill training so I'm open to suggestions on that one. I see your doing the Conn Ultra, fair play to ya on that one, its a big undertaking! thanks for again for the advice and I'll keep an eye on your progress as April draws nearer.

Phil.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

Your PB's are close enough to my own last year and I also didnt realy run serious last year (only began in July) and I will have around the same goals as you this year. My first marathon will be in June and I am planning for a sub 4.

Around the beginning of March I plan to follow the P&D marathon plan which will increase my mileage big time. I just hope I don't blow up in my first...

Anyway, best of luck, think i'll keep an eye on the progress you make and post what tips I can...

P.S - You should take a look at Belcarras blog as he posts his marathon plan in it which might be of use to you (although it savage tough going I'd say)

• Advertisement

nellocono wrote: »
    Your PB's are close enough to my own last year and I also didnt realy run serious last year (only began in July) and I will have around the same goals as you this year. My first marathon will be in June and I am planning for a sub 4.

Around the beginning of March I plan to follow the P&D marathon plan which will increase my mileage big time. I just hope I don't blow up in my first...

Anyway, best of luck, think i'll keep an eye on the progress you make and post what tips I can...

P.S - You should take a look at Belcarras blog as he posts his marathon plan in it which might be of use to you (although it savage tough going I'd say)

cheers, im putting in a huge effort to hit sub 4, not an easy ask! ill take a look at the blog ya recommended, im always open to advice. best of luck with your own goals and ill keep an eye on your progress.

easy 8km, tried taking a hill-ish route just get a small bit of hill training, wanted to leave a bit in the tank for my lsr tomorrow.

15/1/2011

Had to cut my lsr short today, could only do 12k due to time constraints, at around 6:30/km pace. I was annoyed I couldn't do more! Also got going in my new runners, Mizuno Wave Rider 14s, not a bad shoe at all, a good bit of bounce in them.

So this weeks total is 52km (32 miles), definitely a lot of work to be done between now and April, but I've reckon I've established a decent base.

Day off yesterday, I'm going to measure in miles from now on. Felt a bit fresher today so ran 5 miles in a slightly faster 45:58 with a pace of 9:11/mile (5:41/km)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Hi Funrunner, best of luck with the log and the training...you have great plans there

Are you following a marathon training program...if not check out Hal hidgon intermediate plans and do as much reading as you can on marathon running and preparation..read the DCM novice & improvers logs from last year..there is great advice there and every question you may have has been asked and answered there

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51135/Marathon-Training-Guide

your LSR pace seems to be the same as your shorter runs earlier in the week. The LSR is meant to be at a pace of 60-90 slower than your planned marathon pace(PMP) so for a 4hr marathon you marathon pace would be 9.20.....

Best of luck with the training!

• Advertisement

Younganne wrote: »
    Hi Funrunner, best of luck with the log and the training...you have great plans there

Are you following a marathon training program...if not check out Hal hidgon intermediate plans and do as much reading as you can on marathon running and preparation..read the DCM novice & improvers logs from last year..there is great advice there and every question you may have has been asked and answered there

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51135/Marathon-Training-Guide

your LSR pace seems to be the same as your shorter runs earlier in the week. The LSR is meant to be at a pace of 60-90 slower than your planned marathon pace(PMP) so for a 4hr marathon you marathon pace would be 9.20.....

Best of luck with the training!

Thanks a million, I have quite a few books on the subject at home, some have quite different approaches to marathon training, its hard to know what suits. My 12k LSR was on the fast side, I find it hard to hold back on shorter distances. I'll be an 11 miler LSR on friday, so I'll definitely holding from there on. I'm also looking at the improver log now, its a big help!

8 miles this morning in 74:06 minutes. pace = 9:16/mile (5:45/km). Quite happy considering I took quite a hilly route and the distance was further than I normally run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Hey Phil,

As Nellocono mentioned above it may be worth taking a look at my previous log from last year (Ignore the title - it's mainly marathon training:D).

This tracks me going from a PB of 4:21 to 3:51 by following the P&D plan. Everyone's different but hopefully you will get a feel for what is required to make the sub 4 target as we had very similar pbs starting off the quest.

If you have any questions let me know.

Best of luck with the target and the log!

belcarra wrote: »
    Hey Phil,

As Nellocono mentioned above it may be worth taking a look at my previous log from last year (Ignore the title - it's mainly marathon training:D).

This tracks me going from a PB of 4:21 to 3:51 by following the P&D plan. Everyone's different but hopefully you will get a feel for what is required to make the sub 4 target as we had very similar pbs starting off the quest.

If you have any questions let me know.

Best of luck with the target and the log!

Im actually intrigued by the P&D plan, do you have any good links on it? Is the mileage high? Thanks for the advice I have to do to make a sub 4 Conn!

6 miles today, felt a bit sluggish. 9:23/mile (5:50/km). LSR tomorrow, so at least I won't have to bust myself!

Im actually intrigued by the P&D plan, do you have any good links on it? Is the mileage high? Thanks for the advice I have to do to make a sub 4 Conn!

Here is my spreadsheet where I took the runs from P&D...I have it modified slightly but the basic mileage is there. I definitely recommend the book to reference alongside this though.

This is the plan I followed last year but this time I have moved onto extra mileage via the 55-70 mpw plan specifically for the Ultra distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Hi Belcarra,
    I hope you don't mind but i pinched your excel sheet...that was going to be a job for me tomorrow as i have the book but like to print off my plans with the dates beside them and was planning on putting 18week up to 55m into excel.
    i'm reading the book at the min and its a wealth of info (like its suppose to be:D)

No problem Younganne,
    It can take a while to convert the book to excel so should save you some time! Good to see you have the book too so P&D still get the royalties!

The P&D plan is definately worth a shout. I'll look into buying the book as well. Lots of mileage in it too because I'm a bit of mileage junkie!

11 Mile LSR today, 10:23/mile pace. Attached the elevation and splits for anyone whos interested, lots of hills to prepare for Conn.

elevatione.jpg

splitsl.jpg

• Advertisement

I had a day off yesterday, I got 8 miles (or 32 laps) on the local Gaa pitch this morning, its bit harder to run on grass than the road for some reason. Pace = 9:58/mile.

So this weeks total is 38 miles. Happy enough again I must say, bumped up the mileage by six miles and got my first proper lsr of 2012.

8 miles again today, ran the backroads and got a tour of Celtic tiger one off houses! pace = 9:23/mile

I tackled a quite scenic 10 miler today, so I was happy enough with a 9:48/mile pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

Where was that run you did on the 20th, looks like some good hills there.

That was an out and back route on the back road between Kilmacow and Mullinavat (Molum) in south Kilkenny, that first climb was an absolute killer!

Fair play, looks a bit bigger than the two big hills in Conn, i've only started running hills 3 weeks back and i do Howth in Dublin, quite similar size to Conn so hopefully COnn won't hit me too hard.

Im actually dreading those two hills in Conn, so I'm going to do as much training on hilly terrain as possible between now and then, fortunately the backroads around me are quite unlike in most urban centres where they tend to be very flat.

The wind and rain out is horrendous, got six miles in all the same tho I blame it for a slower pace ha. pace 9:35/mile

Twas an absolutely lovely afternoon for runnin, got a decent pace aswell. So it was 7 miles @ 9:17/mile. Half Marathon LSR tmo, hopefully the weather will stay decent for it.

• Advertisement

You must be on the Hal Halodgen 2 marathon programme are you?

Advertisement