Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Search for person in water

Options
  • 12-01-2012 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

Just back from the docks,lifeboat and helicopter searching the area guy I spoke to told me some person gone into water, very sad news if true.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ir555

Can hear a helicopter for the past 5 mins here in Salthill. Appears to around the city.

Fingers crossed its not another river incident and it's a drop off to the hospital..

D

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭coleria

Ah no, I was only down there today amazed at the rapids, I saw guys out searching for the person who went in a few days ago.
    Just something I noticed while watching the water, does it seem "lureing", or something hypnotic about it as it races down, like you're drawn into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

They're searching for someone who fell in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Ambulance was down at the end of Nimmos pier at 7:45 when we were driving by and then the chopper was about fifteen mins later.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Two threads on what appears to be another incident merged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Heard the helicopter when I went to the shop. Always gives me that sinking feeling. When the rescue chopper makes it's way to Galway, it's never good. It's quite regular too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

coleria wrote: »
    Ah no, I was only down there today amazed at the rapids, I saw guys out searching for the person who went in a few days ago.
    Just something I noticed while watching the water, does it seem "lureing", or something hypnotic about it as it races down, like you're drawn into it?

It kind of is luring. Could watch it for hours. The water is so high and crashing all over the place. Seems like it's going to be a tough year

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

"Gardai have confirmed that the body of a 47-year-old man who entered the River Corrib last night has been recovered. The body of the man was discovered by a lifeboat shortly after 1pm close to where he was last seen."

Sorce: Galway Independent Facebook page

RIP :( This is a terribly common occorance in the city

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭lucianot

Why is it so common, accidents or suicidal attempts?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

Myself and the OH were getting petrol at Lough Atalia last night and could see the Ambulance on Nimos Pier alright. I completely agree that seeing those blue flashes near the river always gives you that pit of dread in your stomach.

Another terrible loss of life, may he RIP.

• Advertisement

lucianot wrote: »
    Why is it so common, accidents or suicidal attempts?
    Good question, start a thread in Humanities about it. Let's not discuss specific cases in this forum as family and friends of the deceased might read it.

RIP.

biko wrote: »
    Good question, start a thread in Humanities about it. Let's not discuss specific cases in this forum as family and friends of the deceased might read it.

RIP.

? I am asking related to Galway and its river, I am not asking why people wants to kill itself and I don't know any particular cases and I don't want to know the details, just why in Galway is it so common an occurance, that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

RIP.

It was a generalization of deaths via our waterways. I had no intention of starting a discussion over it, I simply wanted to inform boards of what I read in the press.

I referred to Lucianos post. This thread is about a specific person going into the water, I don't think it's a good idea to ask or discuss why people go into the water even in general, in this thread/forum - there are other places where that can be discussed.

I referred to Lucianos post. This thread is about a specific person going into the water, I don't think it's a good idea to ask or discuss why people go into the water even in general, in this thread/forum - there are other places where that can be discussed.

In a forum perhaps? But as it is referred to Galway it has to be in this regional section.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's so common here because the city is surrounded by water.

If it was accidental, then I'd like to think that the council would take steps to erect barriers to stop similar accidents happening in the future.

Even if it's not strictly accidental, I still think they should build higher barriers on two particular bridges, to discourage the spur-of-the-moment actions and stupidity (I'm not going to name the stupidity I've seen, lest it give someone else ideas).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

I reckon the word "stupidity" doesn't belong in this thread considering the sensitive nature of the topic, in case it's taken out of the context you
    meant it, easily misinterpreted.

Perhaps another thread could be started to discuss the danger of the river in Galway? Seems like there's lots that want to discuss the topic aside from a particular event.

RIP, terrible tragedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

I think threads on someone going into the water should be banned full stop.
    They always start with.......theres a helicopter over the river,anyone have any news on it ?,..... or such a comment.,
    We all pretty much know what happens so i feel it should be not commented on or discussed here as a token of respect to all the families involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Most people do not comment out of nosiness or morbid curiosity, but rather out of intense concern at the growing number of people choosing this path.

A ban on even recognizing such palpable tragedy around us could add to the stigmatised nature of the issue, feeding the vicious circle. We are all part of this city, if any other aspect of the city was causing such tragedy would we ignore it?

A more open dialogue on this issue, handled with sensitivity and respect, could be much more beneficial than a ban imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

Your right in being open to a discussion about the matter, but you could pick any previous threads in relation to someone going in the water and they are all pretty much the same every time.

• Advertisement

Since the man has been found I'm closing this. A general thread on water victims can be started but I'd prefer if that was done in Humanities so it'll be wider than just Galway. There are many towns with rivers in Ireland perhaps this isn't just happening here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement