Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do Sat afternoon?

Options
  • 12-01-2012 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hi Folks

Just a quick question from a culchie. We (mature couple) are coming up for a day/night on Sat. The night-time activities are sorted, but we have the whole day from approx 11 till 4 to kill.

I don't know Dublin very well but have made a habit of visiting a couple of times a year and really enjoy a weekend there.

In recent times we have done Glasnevin, Islandbridge, the Bodies exhibition, Botanic Gardens, Zoo and Phoenix park - all very enjoyable. I suppose it would be fair to say that we like museum-type stuff.

Is Collins Barracks worth a look? Or Kilmainham Jail? Or the National Gallery and Museum? Or the Natural History Museum? Which of these would people most recommend? Or can a couple of them be taken in? Not really interested in the Guinness Store. And yes I know I could look online, but would prefer local knowledge if possible.

Thanks
    S.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

All of those are worth a look, and the National Gallery, Natural History Museum and National Museum (Kildare Street) are easily doable in one afternoon. The Chester Beatty Library in Dublin Castle is well worth visiting and is free as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

The Jail is great - well worth a visit. A visit to Howth would be good - or the Bray to Greystones cliff walk if your into walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Schnooks

Thanks Beernut , might do those 3 in 1 afternoon so.

Thanks also Keedowah, yes into walking and have done Bray and Greystones. Will take a spin out to Howth on Sun before we hit the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

The National Gallery, National Library, National Museum and Natural History Museum are all clustered together around Governement Buildings/Leinster House, so you can get from one to the other pretty easily. You can do tours of Leinster House when it is not in session, but I think you have to prebook for them. When you are done, you could also wander up Kildare St, have an outrageously priced cocktail in the Shelbourne Hotel and then wander over to Stephens Green to feed the ducks. Both are very Dublin things to do !

Alternatively, closer to the river, you could do Dublin Castle, Dublin City Hall, Christchurch and St Patricks Cathedral. They are all near each other too. Collins Barracks is over on the other side of the river, and houses a museum to the decorative arts if you are into that kind of thing.

All in all, you'd have time to do one set of attractions, but not both.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Schnooks

Great info, thanks ProudDUB.

I'd say we'll take your suggestion and do The National Gallery, National Library, National Museum and Natural History Museum, or as many of those as we can before we run out of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Schnooks: If you have not already visited Kilmainham gaol then I would prioritise a visit to it. It really is a "must". The advantage of visiting this time of year is that you will avoid the major queues that line up outside during the Summer. I have been several times and always bring any visiting relations/friends!
    If you get the bus to Kilmainham gaol you can walk back to Collin's Barracks through the grounds of the Museum of Modern art (Royal hospital,Kilmainham) past Heuston Station and on to Collin's Barracks. 20 min walk and a great way to savor a bit of the city.

I visit Collin's Barracks regularly as I live very closeby. They have an excellent Eater Rising/1916 exhibition and also a fantastic military section from WW! right up to the Irish army on UN duty.
    Somebody mentioned the Chester Beatty which is a fab. There is also a wonderful Garda Museum beside the Chester Beatty. I know it's open M-F but I think it does open on Saturday mornings by appointment!
    http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=72&Lang=1
    Another recent addition to Dublin is the Little Museum of Dublin on St Stephen's Green :)
    http://www.littlemuseum.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

ProudDUB wrote: »
    The National Gallery, National Library, National Museum and Natural History Museum are all clustered together around Governement Buildings/Leinster House, so you can get from one to the other pretty easily. You can do tours of Leinster House when it is not in session, but I think you have to prebook for them. When you are done, you could also wander up Kildare St, have an outrageously priced cocktail in the Shelbourne Hotel and then wander over to Stephens Green to feed the ducks. Both are very Dublin things to do !

Alternatively, closer to the river, you could do Dublin Castle, Dublin City Hall, Christchurch and St Patricks Cathedral. They are all near each other too. Collins Barracks is over on the other side of the river, and houses a museum to the decorative arts if you are into that kind of thing.

All in all, you'd have time to do one set of attractions, but not both.

Leinster House is not open at the weekends. I think Dept of Taoiseach/government buildings is open on Saturday mornings but as mentioned you have to prebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

The Aras is open on Sat , but I think you have to pre book , it may also be open on Sat mornings ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I'd start with Kilmainham Gaol, then walk through through the ROyal Hospital (the Museum of Modern Art is free) if the weathers' dry. Then you can head down to Hueston and Collins Barracks and into the city, or walk up to James St (maybe visit Guinness), Thomas St and Christchurch

Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭overshoot

the national transport museum out in Howth has some proper relics in its collection if its something you would be interested in. its just a shame though that they are wedged into an old cow shed (i wish i was joking):(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Schnooks wrote: »
    Great info, thanks ProudDUB.

I'd say we'll take your suggestion and do The National Gallery, National Library, National Museum and Natural History Museum, or as many of those as we can before we run out of time.

Happy to help. :)

The National Gallery and National History Museum (as well as the rather majestic entrance to Leinster Hse & Govt Buildings) are all on Merrion Sq. Merrion Sq is well worth a wander around if you are a fan of Georgian architecture. If you'll be back over there on the Sunday, there is an outdoor art market at Merrion Sq on Sunday mornings. The National Gallery is currently undergoing renovations. I think that due that, the entrance to it is around the corner via the new wing on Nassau St. The National Library and Museum are around the corner on Kildare St, as is the more well known back entrance to Leinster House, the one that we see on the telly. Last time I was over there, the National Library had a really good Yeats exhibition on. Not sure if it is still on, but it's well worth a visit if it is.

Regarding going out to Howth on Sunday, if you make a right hand turn at the traffic lights in Sutton Village, and just follow the road, it will take you up to the summit of Howth Head. You will get the most amazing views back over the city, Dublin Bay and over to the Wicklow Mountains. There is a car park there, so you can sit and enjoy the views. If you feel like exercising, there is also a cliff walk that will take you from the summit into Howth village and harbour. There are spectacular views as you walk, and lots of great pubs and restaurants in Howth village, and on the West Pier to greet you when you get there. Say hello to the seals on the West Pier. It's a bit of an uphill trek back to the car park on the summit, but the views are even better going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

I found the Guiness storehouse excellent. A real good look at the brand through the years. The area on their advertising campaigns over the years is great. Also the view from the bar is great.

Advertisement