Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WAT (Waterford airport) mysteriously appears on Flybe's website

Options
  • 12-01-2012 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭

http://www.flybe.com/destinations/ To Birmingham only. No flights available to book from what I can see. Anyone have any info?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

they have 16 citys serving Knock airport arcording to the website :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    http://www.flybe.com/destinations/ To Birmingham only. No flights available to book from what I can see. Anyone have any info?
    obviously a sign of new things to come

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Chochese

Strangely enough, Birmingham (BHX) doesn't appear on the 'from' list... Hmmmmmmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

could be this

Extract from http://www.waterford-news.com/news/mhgbeyojql/

"He said plans are in the pipeline to introduce a new route in the near future and said the Birmingham route will be operational again when the summer season begins in April. "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Bards wrote: »
    could be this

"He said plans are in the pipeline to introduce a new route in the near future and said the Birmingham route will be operational again when the summer season begins in April. "

I think that referred to Aer Arann and their temporary shortage of aircraft?

The WAT code seems to have gone from the flybe website now anyway, I was checking out flights earlier today.

Would welcome more destinations with flybe. They should be able to get a Q400 in!

SSE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ScabbyLeg

It's great to see Waterford Airport performing reasonably well but it's totally frustrating to see that almost all of the destinations from Waterford are 'dead ends' like Birmingham or South End... I wish they would fly to a major hub like Heathrow, it would really open up possibilities.

Granted Manchester is not bad at all, but the flights aren't frequent enough for it to be really useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

ScabbyLeg wrote: »
    It's great to see Waterford Airport performing reasonably well but it's totally frustrating to see that almost all of the destinations from Waterford are 'dead ends' like Birmingham or South End... I wish they would fly to a major hub like Heathrow, it would really open up possibilities.

Granted Manchester is not bad at all, but the flights aren't frequent enough for it to be really useful.

Yeah, Heathrow would be great! There is a reason why they dont fly there though and I cant remember it, perhaps its too expensive for landing fee's etc.

I can imagine that the costs would be quite high, astronomical when compared with the likes of South End I'm sure. But if they could provide a reliable and regular service into Heathrow then they would potentially tap into a market of passengers prepared to pay a little extra to fly from the continent right to the South East with one stop over, and likewise in the other direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

mmmmmmm so much for keeping things a secret till the press release

ScabbyLeg wrote: »
    I can imagine that the costs would be quite high, astronomical when compared with the likes of South End I'm sure. But if they could provide a reliable and regular service into Heathrow then they would potentially tap into a market of passengers prepared to pay a little extra to fly from the continent right to the South East with one stop over, and likewise in the other direction.

Free slots at Heathrow are like rocking horse poo and there wouldn't be much appetite for complicating landing stacks with turboprop aircraft. BA bought bmi primarily for their LHR slots. Aer Lingus' slots are their major asset. In short it's not going to happen!

A link to Gatwick would be a major boon to the SE region. I'd love that to happen. Whilst I appreciate what Stobart have done for Aer Arann flying to Southend or Luton is useless for most business travellers.

SSE

• Advertisement

Gatwick would be excellent alright. With Aer Lingus having a few aircraft based there it would make for a good sharing agreement too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Forget about pie in the sky flights to Heathrow, the potential arrival of flybe could actually be what saves Waterford Airport from closure. Aer Arann are near their end as an airline, all of their remaining planes are in the process of being painted in Aer Lingus colours and it is only a matter of time before they cease to exist as a standalone entity. Aer Lingus will only be interested in those aircraft for their potential to feed into transatlantic services at Dublin and to serve Cork and Shannon so I expect that we are nearing the end of Aer Arann/Aer Lingus services at Waterford.

Flybe could build up a nice portfolio of niche routes from the UK to Waterford from the likes of Birmingham, Manchester, Edinburgh and London and would potentially offer a superior service and a better chance of sustainabile services than is currently offered by Aer Arann. They are making a go of it at Knock and Donegal and Waterford would seem like a good fit for their Q400 aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

So in short, are flybe coming or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

could be this

So are we to understand from all of the above that Aer Arann are bringing Birmingham back in April, and in addition to that there is a new route somewhere?

So where would that be? If it's FlyBe, maybe Southampton? How about Edinburgh?

<FANTASY_AIR_ROUTE>How about Paris, Frankfurt or Amsterdam?</FANTASY_AIR_ROUTE>

Good news if true:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056519537

Gatwick next please!

SSE

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Great to see some positive news for this airport. Since Galway and Sligo ceased commercial operations Waterford would have to be considered the most borderline Irish airport in terms of survival with only Aer Arann services on crap planes to offer to passengers. Flybe could give it a real shot in the arm and the opportunity to grow as a viable alternative to Dublin for travellers in the south east.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Heathrow would be good in some ways but there would be more delays and a longer time at the airport. If you're actually going to London, Heathrow would not necessarily be any better than any other option. Southend is quick in and out of the airport.

I wouldn't write off Aer Arann or Aer Arann/Aer Lingus in Waterford just yet. Lets see how it goes. It's ticking along in recession which is not too bad. And the planes are grand. It's a friendly service.

merlante wrote: »
    If you're actually going to London, Heathrow would not necessarily be any better than any other option. Southend is quick in and out of the airport.

South End is convenient if you're going to South End, and don't mind traveling in to London. Provided you can get in there in bad weather.

Heathrow is unrealistic alright, but Gatwick would be a step towards opening Waterford up to connecting flights elsewhere.

merlante wrote: »
    Heathrow would be good in some ways but there would be more delays and a longer time at the airport. If you're actually going to London, Heathrow would not necessarily be any better than any other option. Southend is quick in and out of the airport.

I wouldn't write off Aer Arann or Aer Arann/Aer Lingus in Waterford just yet. Lets see how it goes. It's ticking along in recession which is not too bad. And the planes are grand. It's a friendly service.

I don't think anyone is writing them off, but Aer Arann seem to be exclusively focusing on becoming Aer Lingus Regional, I think I read on another thread that by the middle of the year all of their aircraft will be in EI Regional livery. In theory as the ATR fleet is shared we could see EI Regional flights out of Waterford but I don't know the terms of the EI/RE operating agreement.

SSE

• Registered Users Posts: 47 air2000

All Aer Arann flights will be branded and sold as EI Regional by the start of the Summer season and all current RE flights changing to 4 digit EI flight numbers.

The 1st of the ATR42's is currently getting painted with Eirtech in Shannon and getting the interior ripped out (hopefully burned), new seats and vibration padding, once the 42's are completed, The remaining ATR72's REH & REI then follow for respray both also getting additional refurbishment and new leather seats.

• Advertisement

just announced - Flybe is launching a new route from Birmingham Airport to Waterford

Excellent news - another airline to compete with Aer Arann - Hopefully we will get more routes

http://www.birminghampost.net/birmingham-business/birmingham-business-news/businesslatest/2012/01/17/flybe-launches-new-route-from-birmingham-to-waterford-65233-30135905/

Budget airline Flybe is launching a new route from Birmingham Airport to Waterford in the Irish Republic.

The new daily route starts on March 25 and brings Flybe’s total number of destinations from Birmingham to 23.

The Waterford route is expected to expected to cater for a mixture of business and leisure passengers heading for the south east coast city or other parts of the region.

Flybe’s managing director, Andrew Strong, said: “Flybe is committed to developing our route network out of Birmingham and to keeping business and leisure travellers moving during these continued economically challenging times. “

Martyn Lloyd, air services development director for Birmingham Airport added: “Waterford is a popular destination whether it is to visit the place famous for its Waterford Crystal or to walk around its beautiful 200-year-old cathedral.”

Read More http://www.birminghampost.net/birmingham-business/birmingham-business-news/businesslatest/2012/01/17/flybe-launches-new-route-from-birmingham-to-waterford-65233-30135905/#ixzz1jhqYEDBb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

Waterford to Birmingham route with Flybe starting in March.... fares are not too bad either and a decent aircraft too some good news

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

some decent locations available from Birmingham too which opens up some nice options

just announced - Flybe is launching a new route from Birmingham Airport to Waterford

Excellent news - another airline to compete with Aer Arann - Hopefully we will get more routes

http://www.birminghampost.net/birmingham-business/birmingham-business-news/businesslatest/2012/01/17/flybe-launches-new-route-from-birmingham-to-waterford-65233-30135905/

Budget airline Flybe is launching a new route from Birmingham Airport to Waterford in the Irish Republic.

The new daily route starts on March 25 and brings Flybe’s total number of destinations from Birmingham to 23.

The Waterford route is expected to expected to cater for a mixture of business and leisure passengers heading for the south east coast city or other parts of the region.

Flybe’s managing director, Andrew Strong, said: “Flybe is committed to developing our route network out of Birmingham and to keeping business and leisure travellers moving during these continued economically challenging times. “

Martyn Lloyd, air services development director for Birmingham Airport added: “Waterford is a popular destination whether it is to visit the place famous for its Waterford Crystal or to walk around its beautiful 200-year-old cathedral.”

Read More http://www.birminghampost.net/birmingham-business/birmingham-business-news/businesslatest/2012/01/17/flybe-launches-new-route-from-birmingham-to-waterford-65233-30135905/#ixzz1jhqYEDBb

Waterford Airport's Press Release

http://www.waterfordairport.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=226&Itemid=200

==========================================
    Flybe to operate daily flights on Waterford-Birmingham route
    January 2012
    Flybe, Europe’s largest regional airline and the UK’s number one domestic carrier, is to operate a new route connecting Waterford Airport with Birmingham, which was this month voted the UK’s best large airport.
    The daily flights present a key tourism opportunity for Ireland’s southeast and open up a huge area of the British midlands for Irish holidaymakers, as well as offering a wide range of onwards travel options in Britain and beyond.
    Announcing the new route, Andrew Strong, Managing Director, Flybe UK, said: “Flybe is committed to developing our route network throughout the regions and to keeping business and leisure travellers moving during these economically challenging times. We look forward to the start of our Waterford to Birmingham service in March and to welcoming all of our new passengers on board.”
    Graham Doyle, CEO, Waterford Airport, added: “We’re delighted to welcome Flybe to Waterford and look forward to working with them to promote and develop services here. The Birmingham route is a wonderful opportunity for the tourism industry in Ireland’s southeast with direct air access to the region from the UK’s second largest city. In addition, the huge catchment area around Birmingham will allow the southeast to draw visitors from a much wider population base.
    “Flybe will offer a convenient and affordable option to those flying from the southeast to one of the best located airports in Britain. The daily frequency will allow us serve more leisure and business passengers and offer convenience and time savings as well as the option of onward connections from a hub airport.”
    On Monday to Friday, flights will depart Birmingham for Waterford at 2.40pm and leave Waterford for Birmingham at 4.25pm. The Saturday service will leave Birmingham at 1.55pm and depart Waterford at 3.40pm. On Sundays, the flight will depart Birmingham at 2.55pm and Waterford at 4.40pm. Flights commence on March 25 and are available to book at www.flybe.com with one-way fares from €33, including taxes and airport charges.
    Destinations with direct onward flights from Birmingham include major European cities, a wide range of holiday resorts and a number of US cities including New York and Orlando. Flybe’s existing schedule at Birmingham allows for limited connections from Waterford to Paris, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Dusseldorf in particular.
    Birmingham is a diverse and dynamic city, which has been extensively rejuvenated in recent years. It offers a world-class cultural scene, superb shopping, sports and music as well as fantastic nightlife, major international events and access to some of England’s most beautiful countryside.
    The New York Times recently named Birmingham among its ‘45 Places to Go in 2012’ while Olive, the BBC food magazine, named it the UK’s ‘foodiest town’. The city has three Michelin-starred restaurants as well as some of the best Asian cuisine in Europe. In addition, there are many attractions for children and young people nearby with Cadbury World on the outskirts of Birmingham; Shakespeare’s home at Stratford-upon-Avon just 45 minutes away and the Alton Towers family resort only 80 kilometres from the airport.

Bookings for Waterford-Birmingham flights can be made at www.flybe.com. Further information is available at www.visitbirmingham.com; www.birminghamairport.co.uk and www.flywaterford.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Birmingham opens up a lot of other destinations too. Also Southend airport will be getting a few new routes this year so there will be lots of options to get places from Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

What is needed now is a route to Gatwick

Gatwick is probably the most wanted airport, for years its been growing as a popular airport.

Flybe do operate gatwick services from other airports outside ireland, i believe they operate routes in france to gatwick aswell.

That would be a major boom for waterford airport, and i now believe its more becoming a reality with Flybe coming.

Thanks Aer arann for your services for the last couple of years, shame aer lingus is invading your airline.

I Hope Aer Arann and flybe have better times at waterford then their predecessors

Flybe will keep waterford alive, since Aer arann are being attacked by aer lingus and the future of aer arann is 100% uncertain.

Flybe is the future for waterford overall, new routes are needed badly. Gatwick is the route needed next and waterford passenger numbers will triple.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Neworder79

RobitTV wrote: »
    Thanks Aer arann for your services for the last couple of years, shame aer lingus is invading your airline...

Flybe will keep waterford alive, since Aer arann are being attacked by aer lingus and the future of aer arann is 100% uncertain.

What are you smoking? Aer Lingus are the only reason Aer Arann have survived this far, giving them the franchise to operate under the EI brand and handing them former Jet routes saved the airline at a time when it's own routes were collapsing and passengers losing faith in the airline due to poor condition of aircraft, regular delays and cancellations not to mention several safety scares.

They would not have come out of examinership without the Aer Lingus deal which they sought out, and the Stobart money. Ryanair forced them out of Cork but Aer Lingus never directly competed with Arann routes either.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Good times ahead for the airport. Hopefully management can keep a sensible head now for all forms of aviation at the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Waterford just needs 1 or 2 new routes, 1 of them being gatwick.

I Think Flybe will do that, Aer arann just don't have the money to do new routes anymore.

Aer arann are lucky to be alive still, were lucky they didn't pull out of waterford for good.

Flybe is a new chance for the airport, they are the largest regional airline in europe and new routes are made every month in flybe.

This will be the turning point that waterford badly needed since 2008, waterford has been under pressure since then and closure was near in 2010 and even last year.

But at the same time i pray aer arann will survive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

People think new routes are the answer.. When the summer destinations were here some years ago, they werent exactly ran at full capacity and never returned due to them not making business sense.

In order for the airport to really grow it needs to be able to handle jets, as good as this new route is and maybe future routes... I have a feeling they will go the same way as the previous options..

Advertisement