Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WAT (Waterford airport) mysteriously appears on Flybe's website

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭shanemul

savic04 wrote: »
    People think new routes are the answer.. When the summer destinations were here some years ago, they werent exactly ran at full capacity and never returned due to them not making business sense.

Thats not entirely true alot of things played a part in Nex Aviation not running the Summer routes in 2008 and one of those had to be the loss of the owner and Chairman of the Airport as far as I recall they we lined up to return only for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

shanemul wrote: »
    Thats not entirely true alot of things played a part in Nex Aviation not running the Summer routes in 2008 and one of those had to be the loss of the owner and Chairman of the Airport as far as I recall they we lined up to return only for this.

The Credit Crunch must have played a huge part too, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭tramoreman

it looks like they will be running it during the summer checked it out and they were quoteing prices during summer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Also guys the CEO of waterford airport said birmingham is making a return, but with a new route in the future.

"with hopes to introduce a new route later in the year as they grow their offering"

"He said plans are in the pipeline to introduce a new route in the near future and said the Birmingham route will be operational again when the summer season begins in April" - (We now know the birmingham route is returning on the 26th march, operated by flybe)

News article

We basically know Flybe will be the one introducing a new route, since aer arann have a aircraft shortage.

Im sitting here Praying it will be gatwick, but i would be happy with edinburgh or southampton still, but i want gatwick now.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

Norwich

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭shanemul

RobitTV wrote: »
    Also guys the CEO of waterford airport said birmingham is making a return, but with a new route in the future.

"with hopes to introduce a new route later in the year as they grow their offering"

"He said plans are in the pipeline to introduce a new route in the near future and said the Birmingham route will be operational again when the summer season begins in April" - (We now know the birmingham route is returning on the 26th march, operated by flybe)

News article

We basically know Flybe will be the one introducing a new route, since aer arann have a aircraft shortage.

Im sitting here Praying it will be gatwick, but i would be happy with edinburgh or southampton still, but i want gatwick now.

Any ideas?

There is no chance of Gatwick being a route. With Soutend and Luton routes to London the airport won't allow another London route to run as it will just take from the other two routes up to a while ago I heard the Airport saying that they didn't even want to London routes as it would result in the loss of numbers on the other. It's looking like the new route will be to another destination in France or to Edinburgh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

shanemul wrote: »
    There is no chance of Gatwick being a route. With Soutend and Luton routes to London the airport won't allow another London route to run as it will just take from the other two routes up to a while ago I heard the Airport saying that they didn't even want to London routes as it would result in the loss of numbers on the other. It's looking like the new route will be to another destination in France or to Edinburgh

In the absence of contractual or any other constraints I don't see the sense in turning down a potential route to Gatwick to focus on Southend (middle of nowhere) and Luton (not even a daily frequency). I'd have said that a decently-timed route to a well-connected major airport in our major trading partner would do well, they'd probably get 40+ return flights a year out of me for a start, and it could ease the often-cited issues in potential investors actually getting here.

Anyway, here's wishing good luck to flybe!

SSE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

Norwich

haha

hey Ken I will put in a word :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

Good man! :D

Came across something from 9 years ago on boards.ie, about waterford airport about to close for good when euroceltic airline pulled out.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=675131

Look at waterford airport now, going strong!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

Came across something from 9 years ago on boards.ie, about waterford airport about to close for good when euroceltic airline pulled out.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=675131

Look at waterford airport now, going strong!

yeah remember that! bad times!

found this on flybe to waterford route there is also someone in waterford news and star also

http://www.birminghamairport.co.uk/meta/news/2012/01/waterford-news-article.aspx

Flybe has announced its latest new route from Birmingham that offers daily flights to Waterford from March 25th, further expanding the airline’s schedule to a total choice of 23 routes and up to 610 flights a week from Birmingham Airport for Summer 2012. Tickets are on sale at www.flybe.com from £26.99 one way including taxes and charges.

The additional route is expected to benefit a mix of business and leisure passengers as the daily route offers easy access to Waterford, Ireland’s oldest city located on the country’s picturesque South East Coast.

Flybe’s Managing Director, Andrew Strong, comments: “Flybe is committed to developing our route network out of Birmingham and to keeping business and leisure travellers moving during these continued economically challenging times. “

Along with Waterford Airport - which is delighted to again have direct air access to ‘one of the best located airports in Britain’ and the UK’s second largest city - Martyn Lloyd, Air Services Development Director for Birmingham Airport says: “We’re delighted that Flybe will be operating a daily service from Birmingham to Waterford this summer. Waterford is a popular destination whether it is to visit the place famous for its Waterford Crystal or to walk around its beautiful 200 year old Cathedral. Flybe is one of our largest carriers, providing vital air connections to thousands of passengers each year from Birmingham and we wish them every success with the route.”

Adds Mr Strong: “The introduction of the new route between Birmingham and Waterford to our already extensive schedule for summer gives our passengers a large choice of affordable travel options and we look forward to operating our first flight to Waterford Later in the year.”

Just heard in the munster express today that the new route is waterford to edinburgh.

That's good enough i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

Just heard in the munster express today that the new route is waterford to edinburgh.

That's good enough i suppose.

are you sure it is not this sentence from the Waterford Airport Press Release

Flybe’s existing schedule at Birmingham allows for limited connections from Waterford to Paris, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Dusseldorf in particular.

http://www.waterfordairport.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=226&Itemid=200

flybes route is waterford to birmingham beginning in march

People think new routes are the answer.. When the summer destinations were here some years ago, they werent exactly ran at full capacity and never returned due to them not making business sense.

they werent ran at full capacity because the 146 they were using was not always at full capacity ie seats wise they mostly only had 92 seats on that aircraft. When titans airways used the 146 for 2 weeks they had 94 on a 98 seater aircraft. Thats not bad for a service that was not fully advertised for long.....

Forgot to add I know people still ring the airport before they book there summer holidays to see are the flights coming back. There is a demand there for the flights. If it was advertised well in advance it would sell well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

tankbarry wrote: »
    Forgot to add I know people still ring the airport before they book there summer holidays to see are the flights coming back. There is a demand there for the flights. If it was advertised well in advance it would sell well.
    Yeah I think if they advertised these routes around November ppl from the region would plan their holidays around these airports

found the following on flybe website

waterford to birmingham beginning 25/03/2012
    waterford to dusseldorf beginning 26/03/2012
    waterford to edinburgh beginning 25/03/2012
    waterford to glasgow (intl) beginning 25/03/2012
    waterford to paris (cdg) beginning 25/03/2012

when choosing destinations these came up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

tramoreman wrote: »
    found the following on flybe website

waterford to birmingham beginning 25/03/2012
    waterford to dusseldorf beginning 26/03/2012
    waterford to edinburgh beginning 25/03/2012
    waterford to glasgow (intl) beginning 25/03/2012
    waterford to paris (cdg) beginning 25/03/2012

when choosing destinations these came up

Only direct flight will be Waterford to birmingham,all the others require changing at Birmingham

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Bards wrote: »
    Only direct flight will be Waterford to birmingham,all the others require changing at Birmingham

Even so, but if your bags are checked right through, that would be nice. Found Waterford-Paris CDG €171 and the end of March. Sweet! 5hrs out, 4hrs back, but, hey you'd live with it. Easier than driving to Cork/Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭billythepig

form 25th march will be flying from waterford to

birmingham
    glasgow
    dusseldorf
    edinburgh
    paris

listed on www.flybe.com

happy days....
    hopefully they ad on spain soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

form 25th march will be flying from waterford to

birmingham
    glasgow
    dusseldorf
    edinburgh
    paris

listed on www.flybe.com

happy days....
    hopefully they ad on spain soon

As mentioned in the other thread, only the Birmingham route is direct. The others involve a connection in Birmingham.

gscully wrote: »
    As mentioned in the other thread, only the Birmingham route is direct. The others involve a connection in Birmingham.

yea, but it beats the shyte out of travelling to dublin and paying for petrol, parking and tolls,
    id sooner fly from waterford and wait for my connection flight then going to dublin

sorry mods, i didnt know there was already a topic on this

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Don't worry about it Billy, threads merged.

If the prices worked out anyway ok it would be a nice little way to fly to Paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

ziedth wrote: »
    Don't worry about it Billy, threads merged.

If the prices worked out anyway ok it would be a nice little way to fly to Paris.

It's not just prices, it's also,
    a) Will they put your bags straight through,
    b) If you miss your connecting flight, will they look after you?

b) seems to be the case, they will accommodate you on a later flight or something -- but there is only one flight a day so...
    Can't work out whether a) is the case or not.

Tried a few flights to CDG. Coming in at €200 or less return. Nothing wrong with those prices. Ryanair might get you to Beauvais for €70, but add in the extras and trip to Dublin and it's the same.

merlante wrote: »
    Ryanair might get you to Beauvais for €70, but add in the extras and trip to Dublin and it's the same.

+ petrol + parking + toll + the pain in your arse you have from sitting in car

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

€200 is far from bad compared to the hassle of driving up and down to Dublin. you make a very good point about the bags getting checked through. if they are I would definitely give it ago.

Lay-over time is also another important factor. Less then 90min and again would be worth having a look.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Advertisement