Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finally have a weather station :D Need help setting it all up to be accurateish..

• 12-01-2012 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

Well the girlfriend bought me my late Christmas present tonight due to Maplin having them out of stock over the festive period.

I got the WH1081 Wireless Weather Station, have the instruments setup outside mounted on a pole about 8 foot off the ground (sheltered area).

I think everything is working right as it is showing an outdoor temperature of 4.4 degree celcius with wind speeds of 3.6 kmph. I think this is right as there is little wind and it is pretty cold this evening.

So all the other settings like the pressure etc is what I need help with for me to get this accurate.

I'm like a kid at Christmas. Have just totally ignored the girlfriend since I got it 3 hours ago lol

If you prefer to talk I'm on Skype!

Cheers
    Tyler

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

Good man, I have a similar station from Maplins. To set up the pressure i took readings fom the closest Met Eireann and Met Services UK stations so in my case, Malin Head, Finner and Castlederg. I also looked at the readings for the NRA stations, two NRA weather stations within six miles of my house. Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

When you say you took the readings from Met Eireann etc what did you actually do with them? I would say the 3 closest stations I know of would be Ballykelly (might actually be gone now) Malin Head and Castlederg or Magilligan. Eglinton airport has one, but it only seems to be on when the airport is operational lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Don't have the same one but got one for Xmas too :) to set the pressure what I actually had to do was set the altitude on the base station cos the default for most of them is sea level

I set the pressure accordingly on my station, at the moment Finner is 1033hPa and Malin Head is 1032hpa, Aldergrove is 1032hPa so now would be a good time to set your station as high pressure over the whole country

According to my wireless part the pressure is showing as 1027.9 HPA but on Cumulus it's showing as 1013.6mb/hr

• Advertisement

You need to change settings for pressure in Cumulus under configuration, station.

Yeah been playing about with it the last while and they both seem to be sitting evenly now at 1034mb.

Have it posting to Met Office WOW / Twitter / Live on my website http://www.tylercollins.co.uk/weather

Is there any tips or tricks you can think of? Do all those readings seem to be realistic enough? I've set up everything (I think) height.

I may also need to move the instruments as well, but I will get up a video tomorrow after work of it's current locations and show my gardens

P.S. Thanks for helping :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Yeah been playing about with it the last while and they both seem to be sitting evenly now at 1034mb.

Have it posting to Met Office WOW / Twitter / Live on my website http://www.tylercollins.co.uk/weather

Is there any tips or tricks you can think of? Do all those readings seem to be realistic enough? I've set up everything (I think) height.

I may also need to move the instruments as well, but I will get up a video tomorrow after work of it's current locations and show my gardens

P.S. Thanks for helping :)

The Cumulus page should look alot more pleasing on the eye. I'm guessing you didn't upload all files to your webserver. I think that's the reason why you just have text on your webpage. Congrats on new station and best of luck with it.

All files have been uploaded to the server, but I'm using wordpress for my main site so that means I need to have direct links within all the files to each of the items e.g. images/stylesheet etc etc

I'm going to build my data into wordpress anyway, so moving away from the default cumulus design.

But thanks, it's really interesting having it now, hopefully it will help me learn more about weather.

I actually noticed that the lowest recorded temperature last night was only 1c yet the car was heavily frozen this morning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭nilhg

I actually noticed that the lowest recorded temperature last night was only 1c yet the car was heavily frozen this morning?

That's the difference between air frost and ground frost.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

nilhg wrote: »
    That's the difference between air frost and ground frost.

Explains in a bit more detail here http://weatherfaqs.org.uk/node/26

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

All files have been uploaded to the server, but I'm using wordpress for my main site so that means I need to have direct links within all the files to each of the items e.g. images/stylesheet etc etc

I'm going to build my data into wordpress anyway, so moving away from the default cumulus design.

But thanks, it's really interesting having it now, hopefully it will help me learn more about weather.

Wordpress is more of a blog type infrastructure though; how do you plan on doing this? Or are you going to have a static page off the main wordpress server which houses the weather data?

I've modified the main cumulus stuff a bit to make mine green. I like green.
    http://goatstownweather.atwebpages.com

kenmc wrote: »
    Wordpress is more of a blog type infrastructure though; how do you plan on doing this? Or are you going to have a static page off the main wordpress server which houses the weather data?

I've modified the main cumulus stuff a bit to make mine green. I like green.
    http://goatstownweather.atwebpages.com

I run a blog on my site so I will create a custom template for the weather page that will still have the functionality of the wordpress header/sidebar/footer

I laughed at your last bit haha

I run a blog on my site so I will create a custom template for the weather page that will still have the functionality of the wordpress header/sidebar/footer

I laughed at your last bit haha

Ok, so you're going to basically keep the look and feel of the blog for the weather.

Yeah the whole site "will" have the same design and all elements will be consistent throughout the site.

I'm probably going to rebuild the layout of the cumulus data as well from being table based to css based.

Having a concern about my weather station.. it seems to been showing a temperature of .7c all day. When I use metoffice and bbc it show 4c

I have it mounted about 2 meters about the ground in direct sunlight (I don't think it should be though).

Any thoughts?

http://www.tylercollins.co.uk/weather/

does the pc still have connection to the head unit? does the head unit have connection to the sensors?
    what do the graphs display, they;re not on the web site

Well I've been at work since 8am this morning so I actually have no way of checking lol But before I left everything was working as it should, site is still updating as well. Connections where all where they should be.

yeah but it might be that the rf has gone down from the sensor to the head unit, or the usb link has stopped working.

• Advertisement

I'll come back to this once I get home from work at 3:30pm. Will also get a small video of the stations location as well to see if it is suitable.

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭m0nsterie

Having a concern about my weather station.. it seems to been showing a temperature of .7c all day. When I use metoffice and bbc it show 4c

I have it mounted about 2 meters about the ground in direct sunlight (I don't think it should be though).

Any thoughts?

http://www.tylercollins.co.uk/weather/

Cumulus doesn't like when the PC goes to sleep/hibernates etc. Could this have happened? It does not automatically download the missing data when you wake the PC up either - you have to start Cumulus again for that.

Computer shouldn't have gone to sleep or hibernation as I have both these options turned off. Only thing I can think off is the computer has possibly restarted due to automatic updates (which I will be turning off when I get home) or for some reason the head unit has somehow disconnected from the computer. Maybe the likes of a faulty USB.

I'll be home in just over an hour so I will no more information then.

Thanks guys for all this help you are giving me as well, if you can give me any advice at all on anything to do with the weather station then place tell me lol

Cheers!!

Advertisement