Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disconnecting water pipes without draining down.

• 12-01-2012 10:14pm
    Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

Hi,

its a 13 kw with boiler. Inch pipes out the back. Old system and there is a valve on the pipe to the cylinder. This vavle is only 3 turns open. The cylinder is direct and the oil also pases through this valve. Its balanced I suppose to give major priotity to the heating system. 13 rads. When the oil heated up the rads the stove used to get hot too but plumber replaced the non rtn valve and did some loop pipework so now its fine.
    Why am I telling u all this?
    1) Well my q is if I close or open this valve to the best position?and I loosen a pipe at the back very quickly and then plug it, is it feasible to do it without draining down the system? I know I will lose a certain amount of water but I really do not want to drain the system.
    2) Leaving these pipes pluged is ok? Or do they need to be joined together?

Tks a lot,

Eamon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

eamon11 wrote: »
    Hi,

1) Well my q is if I close or open this valve to the best position?and I loosen a pipe at the back very quickly and then plug it, is it feasible to do it without draining down the system? I know I will lose a certain amount of water but I really do not want to drain the system.

Can I watch?

• Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭eamon11

many thanks cnoc an lads for taking the time to read my posts and the generous sound hands on practical advice. I really appreciate it. Boards is a great place where people give an receive knowledge and experience without prejudice.

Cheers

anyone every freeze pipes doing a plumbing job? Iv seen the freeze product on sale in my local plumbing shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

My practical experience is that with one inch pipes, you will end up with a lot more water leaking than you were expecting or hoping for, and that 'quickly' plugging it would likely end up being not so quick and not so plugged. Been there, done that, with smaller diameter pipes.

You said you you don't want to drain it. My advice would be drain it. If you still don't want to - can I watch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

anyone every freeze pipes doing a plumbing job? Iv seen the freeze product on sale in my local plumbing shop.

again! would be fun to watch ya. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

Aah lighten up Eamon would ya this is boards.ie, if you want professional advice you can litigate against you'll get it for about 100 Euro per hour.

Me, I have opened my c/h pipes in this manner, first I de-pressurise the system and have a suitable fitting handy. I lose maybe 1/2 litre of water but that's what the OH's white bathroom towels are for :eek:

But I always make sure to add anti rust stuff when adding water.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭eamon11

thanks dean,

for the bit of practical advice. All are welcome to watch provided you offer opinions!! Cheers cnocbui, you can be helpfully informative when u want.icon7.gif

I take it billy you have tried this? ( freezing)Or am I to assume from your post that this is a bad idea? Cheers for the practical tips and thanks for replying.

Again thanks to all who replied.

Eamon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

Eamonn have a look at Regin Bung kits, shut all the air vents and crack a joint and wait till the water stops. The freeze kits are ok but I would be wary of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

I take it billy you have tried this? ( freezing)Or am I to assume from your post that this is a bad idea? Cheers for the practical tips and thanks for replying.

Again thanks to all who replied.

Eamon

Sorry Eamon shouldnt make fun but yes i have tried it in the long distant past when i really really had to, i managed it, just!!! the thought of a novis doing the same, :D freezing really isnt the way to go on a DIY job, check out the bung kit DoneDL as recomended or get in THE MAN.

Best of luck

I'v tried it all, give me slow and dry over quick and wet any day, a few times in my early days I'd hear the the sound of glug glug just before the tsunami came to help me figure out what the sound was:o

Advertisement